Abandoning a car :)

I have a totalted car, how do I get rid of it now that it has been towed away from where I left it? Can I just give it away to whom towed it? Will they likely to take it and finish the paperwork or will ask me for money?

What is the consequence of just totally ignore it? Any opinions are welcome..
    ML

Sell it to an autowrecking place if it's totally gone or scrap it and sell it piece by piece.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

If you still have the car i would suggest taking it 2 a junkyard where you might get some $$$ for it.........

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Yes, if the entire car isn't messed up take out seats,gauges,wheels,exhaust, etc.. off the car and sell it.

Only car I've ever wanted to get rid of the insurance company took care of. Someone totaled the car with me in it, so to speak.

HOWEVER...

The towing company also had a separate business that dealt with the waste of totaled cars. They could have bought it should the insurance company not done so. They rip the good parts off, and cube the rest. Depending on the car and what's 'good' on it they either pay you cash for it, or charge you for it. I imagine that type of service is commonly owned by wrecker services like that. Might help to ask.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

See...

Theres even $$$ in wasting your car

Depending how you crashed it, there could be legal issues,
    But im sure you would not be able to post asking if there was lol.

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

If your insurance company wrote it off as totalled and paid you off, then they own it now. If you do still own it, sell it to a scrap yard...you should get a couple hundred bucks for it.

Like Huminie said, if your insurance co. has paid you off, they own it and should take care of disposing it. They may also need to take photographs of the damage for evidence in negotiating a settlement with the other driver's insurance company.

And someone (you or your insurance co.) is going to be held liable for towing and storage charges until this is resolved.

SELL it to a junkyard? Around here they charge $250 to take em in!
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

I don't know where you live, but around here, any fire company will gladly take the car, to "Car Fire Training" Donate to them and they will give you a reciept that you can write off on your taxes..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

The consequence of just totally ignoring it is that most towing lots will charge a fee just for 'housing' the car. This can add up to a LOT of money if you just leave the car there 'unclaimed'. DONT let this happen. Figure out how you want to get rid of it and get it out of the impound lot ASAP.

2 things i do....
    if its towable then look in the clasified section of the paper to see who u can donate it to. usually they will pick it up free of charge running or not, and give you a tax write off. or donate it to the fire department where they will use it to practice cutting open smashed up cars. usually they will tow it free of charge no questions asked as long as its in the same town.

junk yards dont want old crappy beat up cars cuz they arent worth **** so you take it to a scrap yard and they put it on a scale and pay you for the metal according to how much the car weighs. could be as little as $50 but its better than nothing and they are taking it off of your hands for you.

lots of good info here. Thanks guys.
    ML

car + cliff = nice thing to watch.

I wanted to do that with the tempo but we made $350 off it!

you can get like $50 for a tempo at pick-your-part.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

Certain charities take car donations. Find one that doesn't care what shape the car is in to come and get it. You may make out better with the deduction than selling since they are pretty liberal with the car's "value".
    Serial Beggar
    Hate Your Family? Have No Friends? Make Me Your Beneficiary!

yeah heheh I had an 89 dodge caravan. it has a seized motor and the side was all smashed up from a bad accident. all the windows on that side where broken too so the inside was soaking wet from rain. it was so messed up that it would never be worth repairing. when i donated it, i got a $2000 tax deduction. :-D

Sell it piece by piece. You'll be surprised how much you'll make from it.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

^^^ I agree. Sell it bit by bit.

I didn't have time to post before ... but I bought new Toyota Corolla in '96 and totalled it 11 days later (only had 400mi. on it). The insurance company said I could have it and ended up making about 4 grand in just sold parts.

Wow!

How much did you pay for it?

How about letting you insurance company decide what to do with it? They should be the best ones to decide wether or not the car is totaled, or if they can recover some of their losses by selling it.
    -= System Administrator Windows/Linux - MCDST, MCP =-
    www.VETCOELECTRONICS.com

ummm... ebay
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by Enphasis
    Wow!

How much did you pay for it?
    It was basically free.

1. Donate the car and you can right it off in taxes.
    2. If you totaled the car this year you might be able right off the loss of value because of the accident/crash.
    Alvin

Take every last functional part off of that car (even the seats) and sell them on ebay.