Hybrid View

Dot 5 came back to haunt me...

So I get an email from Dot 5 today about an overdue invoice. Okay, so I closed all my accounts with them last fall, found a great hosting company last July. They are claiming that I am still active in their database.

Way to go. I get an email the day that the invoice is due, for an account that is not active. They are disputing it with me right now over email. I have already complained to international consumer groups and the World Pay service they used.

First off I thought I was done with them and would never hear that name again, except in mild amusement how bad they were. But this just blew in my lap this morning. The hosting service was horrible, and I just gave up on the fact I would lose 6 months worth of prepaid hosting just so I can have my sites up and running.

Now they are saying I owe them money? For what? Now I did a little search and I find out I am not alone on this. There have been several other cases of people with cancelled accounts getting billing notices from them, and they are refusing to back down on them.

Sorry for the tone of this thread, but it's bad enough to offer horrible hosting, then to chase after previous clients for back pay on a service they do not use. That is why I am inisitant on posting this thread so anyone getting their finances tied up with this company can hopefully think twice before doing so.

DONT USE DOT5 EVER.
      0 Not allowed!

Ouch. I hope you manage to resolve this soon. When you cancelled did they confirm the cancellation?
    -- Matthew
      0 Not allowed!

That is part of the problem. I was on the chat with a tech at the time. The reason was I had moved all my accounts to a new host and a friend needed some space (a few months of the account being inactive at the time had taken place). So I gave him the login and IP addy. The account was suspended. So I got on chat asking what was going on and was told that the account had been suspended because of inactivity. Not a problem. I was done with them so I told him I am thru with Dot 5 and will eat my loss.

It's ok though because I contacted World Pay regarding this, closed my account at WP with Dot5 (I didn't realise I still had it open). I have also contacted my friend in the legal field and a collection agent I know through family. So I think if they pursue it they will have a few people to talk to regarding this.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know much about Dot5 except they just got bought over by another company. I heard they got bought over by ipowerweb and they resold it or something?
      0 Not allowed!

Call your bank and say you lost your CC card.
    Then good luck to them........................
    Be Happy!
      0 Not allowed!

nvphone, even if they do charge his credit card, he will still be able to dispute it, and assuming he won the dispute, Dot 5 would be charged a hefty $25 or so. Could be a fun adventure I think they won't do this, because they seem to know what will happen in this case.
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development
      0 Not allowed!

Well after a few emails back and forth they dropped it AND - the funny part - they offered new hosting plans if I was interested! lol... hmmmm.. No thanks.

Cheers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quick note to anyone else, tell the to piss off and that your not gonna talk about it anymore, then dont reply to them. Works everytime

You could make it a bit politer though.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!
      0 Not allowed!

For those in any kind of similar predicament, this is what my buddy in collections told me:

If they have specific language as to how you have to terminate, then
    that must be followed. However, you terminated due to failure and
    performance issues on their part, and they did not provide reasonable
    service as agreed in their contract. And, you paid them for a year in
    advance, did not use the service, abandoned the hosting, and even told
    the tech you were not coming back. It's clear to me that at that point
    your relationship with them was over. For them to auto renew your
    agreement for another year and charge you is ludicrous.

This type of account is what they call "future services contracts". You
    see it a lot for health clubs, in that you agree to pay up front, or
    monthly, to receive a service in the future. In this case hosting. A
    lot of misunderstandings come out of these agreements, and the AG's
    office investigates many abuses and fraud due to the problems
    surrounding them.
    He told me more about my case, but this is more general from what he said.

In his words he told me not to worry about anything like this going to collections , "If they were my client, I would not take this specific account."
      0 Not allowed!