co-lo near pasadena, ca

We are currently co-located on east coast (richmond, va) -- historically, even though our office is in Pasadena. So, I'm going to move someplace local. Got a good offer from calpop.com -- actually thought that it's a little to good to be true, and started checking -- they seem to have bad reputation around here. Is that so?

Who else you can recommend if we have 13RU worth of servers, likely to grow to 20 RU some time soon and we'd prefer somebody who bundles rack space with bandwidth.

I've heard good opinions about colomax.com -- again, any recent experience with them? Are they as good as some people say they are? Have not got a quote from them yet, so don't know how much more expensive they are..

We are a very small company, so cost is a major consideration.

Thanx!

Welcome to WHT Have you tried searching for calpop.com and colomax.com right here on WHT? It's easiest to get all relative posts that way. Also, you can try the host quote feature to see if any WHT members can get you a good local deal.

Good luck!

saminuske,
    good point -- no, I have not done any of that. Thanx!

colomax has an excellent facility and their techs are very knowledgable. There is also easy access to several carriers within the building.
    * Shaun Gregory, President
    * sales@nscnap.net | Sales: (877) 7-GETNSC
    * Black Lotus Communications - The IRC hosting and DDoS management company
    * Net Sentry Corp, LLC - Dropping the floor on transit pricing nationwide

You actually found co-location in Richmond?

You can check with NRsoftware on this. They have tons of space and cable and wireless ready.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

If you are looking for bandwidth/space in the LA area you should get ahold of NRsoftware as Mfjp said.

Ive been a number of locations in LA and NRsoftware is BY FAR the best place I have been in. Ive been with them about 6 months and had zero downtime. I had one instance where my ping times where a little high and it was corrected for me in 5 mins. Well past normal business hours.

Forget about Calpop, I had a server with them and it was horrible. If you must check into them, make sure you take a tour. But bring your glasses so you dont trip over somebodys network or power cable and fall. The orange extention cords and cube taps are however a nice decorative touch. Yes, it honestly is that bad.

If it where me I would get a few recommendations from this board. Then go take a tour of a few places and try to corner a few current customers of the place your at. From them you will find out the real deal. Everybody claims to offer the same 99.9 uptime, great service, blah blah blah. But most of it is just all crap.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 2Guns; 05-02-2004 at 04:12 AM.

Thanx, guys! That was helpful.

As far as I understand colomax and nrsoftware is the same thing, at least it looks this way from their site. I asked them for a quote, will check them out.

Richmond, VA -- yes we found colo there and it is good. baymountain.com if anyone interested, my recommendations -- these guys know what they are doing. The only reason we plan to part with them is because we want someone local.

CIhost has datacenter in Wilshire Blvd as well, you might check them out. Their crazy deal is amazing but you have to prepay 1 year.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

You might want to take a look at hostmania.net they own by NRsoftware. We have full racks with them. They have XO, CW and Level3. They have provided us with excellent service.

CIHost is a joke. Do a search on here and google.

In L.A., CI advertises Verio and Qwest bandwidth but actually dumps their customers on a cheap Cogent link.

nrsoftware seems to have only one uplink - Savvis (formerly CWUSA/Exodus). I'd be very cautious going with any provider that has only one upline provider or one that is located in a DC owned by a transit provider, especially Savvis. There doesn't seem to be a very positive feeling toward the future of this company.

Originally posted by Dragoon
    CIHost is a joke. Do a search on here and google.

In L.A., CI advertises Verio and Qwest bandwidth but actually dumps their customers on a cheap Cogent link.

nrsoftware seems to have only one uplink - Savvis (formerly CWUSA/Exodus). I'd be very cautious going with any provider that has only one upline provider or one that is located in a DC owned by a transit provider, especially Savvis. There doesn't seem to be a very positive feeling toward the future of this company.
    We have XO, Level3, and Savvis as our transit providers. Soon we'll have GBLX as well.

Furthermore, we have several datacenters where we provide IP and/or transport services as well. Savvis is not your only facility where you can colocate. It just happens to be our favorite.

As for Los Angeles: We have colo for customers available at 600 W 7th and 1200 W 7th. Soon we should be able to allow customer colocation in 624 S. Grand aka One Wilshire [currently there is only peering and core routers/switches in this facility for us]. 530 W 6th [raw colo, no support] should be available by the end of the month.

We also have availability in Fremont, Chicago, Richmond and Dallas, TX via partners.

Thanks.

Pajo ( now Tierzero.com ) has a very nice facility up in L.A. I have been through it myself a few times. They have mixed-bandwidth and pretty good support.

Let me know if you are looking in the Orange County area, I can help.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

Originally posted by nrsoftware
    We have XO, Level3, and Savvis as our transit providers. Soon we'll have GBLX as well.
    Your sites list Savvis/CWUSA, XO, Verio, and Abovenet bandwidth on a "premier BGP4 network" with peering to other networks. Everything, including your test files, seems to route back to Savvis/Exodus on Exodus IP blocks.

I find no evidence of BGP or even an ASN for nrsoftware or nrss. Maybe I missed it. I've had a horrible headache for the last 3 days. What is your ASN?

NRsoftware does have an ASN and run BGP on some of their blocks. I seen it before, just that I can't remember it anymore...
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

asn

we are currently using 32177 & 27524 for routing.

I know of a few data centers in california, but I am not sure which one is closest to you since I'm an East Coast guy.

I wonder how I would find out which is closest?