Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Pair.com one year review

I moved one of my site to Pair.com on 29-April-2003 after my web host of that time Nirmani.net went down for many days after a string of troubles like hacked server and finally a dispute with DC where they were hosting their servers. I was hosting multiple domains on a reseller account with Nirmani.

I signed-up with Pair.com for the site which I was aiming to bring online again in a hurry. They answered my pre-sale query in few minutes and their email with my account info. came less than 30 minutes after I signed up for their basic ($9.95/month) plan. One week after my site went online with Pair, I received an email from one of their support rep. asking me if I had any problem or if I was satisfied with their service. Which is a nice surprise given that I have used many hosts in last 1 year and none have cared to ask that once they have gotten my order.

In last 1 year I have noticed only 1 downtime of 10-20 minutes. At that time I started an 'urgent' support ticket and got the reply after some 5 minutes that my site is back up along with an assurance that it will never happen again.

Since I am satisfied with their service so I am now hosting 20 domains/sites and planning to move a few more sites to them from my accounts with other hosts. I have also upgraded my account to their advanced account.

I have used many hosts in last one year and have dropped some of them due to one problem or another. At the moment I'm using the services of 6 hosts other than pair.com and have found that only Futurequest.com has the kind of support that meet or beats the standard set by Pair.com.

I have never tried Pair.com's phone support but most tickets for tech support are answered in no more than 1 hour even at 1 A.M. EST on Sunday. Answers to support tickets/emails are always in detail and not the hard to understand half sentences. Urgent tickets are answered in around 10 minutes or less.

Pair.com use a simple and easy to use custom control panel of theirs, so they are free of the bugs and frequent updates in standard control panels like cpanel.

Finally my suggestion to anyone who is looking for a reliable host with great support that is not overpriced, have a good look at Pair.com.

Nice review.

I was just this very minute looking at Netcraft data.

PAIR is the number one most reliable provider for February.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/repo...=february_2004

"During February both the Pair Networks and Seeweb sites were faultless with no failed requests at all from any of our five measurement points." - NetCraft.com

This only ranks 54 sites.....there are many more
    »» AtmoHost.com « «
    »» Simple, Reliable and Affordable Hosting Solutions « «
    »» Hosting Plans « «
    »»
    AIM: AtmoSupport MSN: Atmohost@hotmail.com ICQ: 333025140 « «

This ranks the TOP. Have you ever heard of NetCraft?

Re: Pair.com one year review

Originally posted by iThink
    <<snip >>

Finally my suggestion to anyone who is looking for a reliable host with great support that is not overpriced, have a good look at Pair.com.
    Most people looking for hosting anymore, are not going to pay the premium that pair commands. I have had some websites with pair for many, many years and have never been let down by them.

They are by far, IMHO, one of the top 3 hosts in the business, if not, number 1.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Re: Re: Pair.com one year review

Originally posted by sirius

They are by far, IMHO, one of the top 3 hosts in the business, if not, number 1.

Sirius
    Who are the other 2 top hosts in your opinion?

Thank you for taking the time to write this review iThink. Can't say I've ever heard anything bad about PAIR.

Great review iThink! It's good to read that Pair is not lowering its high standards.

Keep us posted!

agree..
    I have used pair in the past.. for nearly 4+ yrs.. and was completely satisfied.

The only thing that ever kept me from pair was the Control Panel - every time I move a database between CPs I end up with compatibility issues. So now I just stick with CPanel wherever I go these days.

pair is the best around. I have used them for more than 1.5 years. I never had a problem with the databases at pair.
    pair to&from cpanel, ensim, hsphere, plesk was never an issue for me. Just SSH in and load it up.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Yes, they provide SSH access with all accounts at Pair and that is a major plus.

Originally posted by I, Brian
    The only thing that ever kept me from pair was the Control Panel - every time I move a database between CPs I end up with compatibility issues. So now I just stick with CPanel wherever I go these days.
    The only capatability issues would be between control panels and where they place sites in relation to root directories. Any host that has a clue as to what they're doing from the command line would have no problems in transferring a database from a site hosted with one control panel to another as intellec stated. MySQL is MySQL no matter where you go. cPanel has nothing to do with it.

I still use Pair as a model for what I want to accomplish with my companies and think that Kevin runs a very tight ship. They continue to impress me to this day.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

It bothers me that Pair will not recover back-ups, even for a fee. The only time they will retrieve backups is for catastrophic system failure. If your idiot client accidentally deletes a file, you are screwed. I do like and recommend them as a host however.

My experience with with PAIR happened when a client decided they wanted to leave PAIR because they weren't happy with the customer service.

PAIR made it as difficult as possible to transfer the site, and none of their customer service avenues were adequate.

I guess customer service stops when you decide to transfer.

Vivvy

Vivvy

Originally posted by tbroeker
    It bothers me that Pair will not recover back-ups, even for a fee. The only time they will retrieve backups is for catastrophic system failure. If your idiot client accidentally deletes a file, you are screwed. I do like and recommend them as a host however.
    That's a great way to eliminate the idiots.

That's what I call foresight!

Now that we're running Shadow Drives, support will often recover a file for you. We don't offer a for-fee restore service but will continue to consider it.

Kevin

Originally posted by Vivvy
    My experience with with PAIR happened when a client decided they wanted to leave PAIR because they weren't happy with the customer service.

PAIR made it as difficult as possible to transfer the site, and none of their customer service avenues were adequate.

I guess customer service stops when you decide to transfer.
    I'd like to know more specifics of what went wrong, Vivvy. Can you please PM me or drop me a note?

We never interfere with transfers, nor do we retain ownership or control of customer domains, etc, so this sounds like a communication problem.

Kevin

Originally posted by sigma
    Now that we're running Shadow Drives, support will often recover a file for you. We don't offer a for-fee restore service but will continue to consider it.

Kevin
    Hehe. I have seen you mention this several times in the forum, and even pre-sales once said the same thing to me. But in the two cases where my idiot clients accidently deleted something, my restore request was flatly denied each time, even when I offered to pay a fee.

So, under what circumstances WILL you restore a file???

It seems that for the prices you charge, which I do not mind paying at all, that a restore from back-up should be an option even if it is for a fee of $100 per restore or something.

I have run a site for one of my clients at Pair for a year now and recommend them. The only problem I have is that the stats are such a pain to gain access to that I don't bother, so I rarely check their traffic levels. Does anyone know of a simple solution for this?

So, under what circumstances WILL you restore a file???

It seems that for the prices you charge, which I do not mind paying at all, that a restore from back-up should be an option even if it is for a fee of $100 per restore or something.
    I will work on establishing a policy regarding this during the upcoming week.

Kevin

Originally posted by revsorg
    I have run a site for one of my clients at Pair for a year now and recommend them. The only problem I have is that the stats are such a pain to gain access to that I don't bother, so I rarely check their traffic levels. Does anyone know of a simple solution for this?
    I agree that accessing stats is a PITA at Pair. I believe the only way to get to the analog stats is by using SSH. There should be a link in control panel for every domain in an account, clicking which should take the user directly to the analog stats or even better awstats for that domain.

Right now I download raw logs by FTP and then use weblog expert to see the stats in graphical form.

you can get stats via your website through any browser.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Originally posted by intellec
    you can get stats via your website through any browser.
    At Pair.com Analog or webalizer stats are only updated when you generate them using SSH or else you keep seeing the stats that you generated/processed the last time.

I have these pages bookmarked:

http://www.pair.com/support/knowledg...ts_analog.html

http://www.pair.com/support/knowledg...webalizer.html

Originally posted by iThink
    At Pair.com Analog or webalizer stats are only updated when you generate them using SSH or else you keep seeing the stats that you generated/processed the last time.
    Um... with either Analog or Webalizer you can have them generated nightly, or you can disable it via the control panel, and setup a cronjob yourself that will process the stats at a specific time.

The limit is you can't have it up to date right now, since logs are generated nightly (~12-1 AM) and put into your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast