Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    509

    Thumbs up Pair.com one year review

    I moved one of my site to Pair.com on 29-April-2003 after my web host of that time Nirmani.net went down for many days after a string of troubles like hacked server and finally a dispute with DC where they were hosting their servers. I was hosting multiple domains on a reseller account with Nirmani.

    I signed-up with Pair.com for the site which I was aiming to bring online again in a hurry. They answered my pre-sale query in few minutes and their email with my account info. came less than 30 minutes after I signed up for their basic ($9.95/month) plan. One week after my site went online with Pair, I received an email from one of their support rep. asking me if I had any problem or if I was satisfied with their service. Which is a nice surprise given that I have used many hosts in last 1 year and none have cared to ask that once they have gotten my order.

    In last 1 year I have noticed only 1 downtime of 10-20 minutes. At that time I started an 'urgent' support ticket and got the reply after some 5 minutes that my site is back up along with an assurance that it will never happen again.

    Since I am satisfied with their service so I am now hosting 20 domains/sites and planning to move a few more sites to them from my accounts with other hosts. I have also upgraded my account to their advanced account.

    I have used many hosts in last one year and have dropped some of them due to one problem or another. At the moment I'm using the services of 6 hosts other than pair.com and have found that only Futurequest.com has the kind of support that meet or beats the standard set by Pair.com.

    I have never tried Pair.com's phone support but most tickets for tech support are answered in no more than 1 hour even at 1 A.M. EST on Sunday. Answers to support tickets/emails are always in detail and not the hard to understand half sentences. Urgent tickets are answered in around 10 minutes or less.

    Pair.com use a simple and easy to use custom control panel of theirs, so they are free of the bugs and frequent updates in standard control panels like cpanel.

    Finally my suggestion to anyone who is looking for a reliable host with great support that is not overpriced, have a good look at Pair.com.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denton, Texas -
    Posts
    215
    Nice review.

    I was just this very minute looking at Netcraft data.

    PAIR is the number one most reliable provider for February.

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/repo...=february_2004

    "During February both the Pair Networks and Seeweb sites were faultless with no failed requests at all from any of our five measurement points." - NetCraft.com

  3. #3
    This only ranks 54 sites.....there are many more
    AtmoHost.com
    Simple, Reliable and Affordable Hosting Solutions
    Hosting Plans
    AIM: AtmoSupport MSN: [email protected] ICQ: 333025140

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denton, Texas -
    Posts
    215
    This ranks the TOP. Have you ever heard of NetCraft?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Pair.com one year review

    Originally posted by iThink
    <<snip >>

    Finally my suggestion to anyone who is looking for a reliable host with great support that is not overpriced, have a good look at Pair.com.
    Most people looking for hosting anymore, are not going to pay the premium that pair commands. I have had some websites with pair for many, many years and have never been let down by them.

    They are by far, IMHO, one of the top 3 hosts in the business, if not, number 1.

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    509

    Re: Re: Pair.com one year review

    Originally posted by sirius

    ....

    They are by far, IMHO, one of the top 3 hosts in the business, if not, number 1.

    Sirius
    Who are the other 2 top hosts in your opinion?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    893
    Thank you for taking the time to write this review iThink. Can't say I've ever heard anything bad about PAIR.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Great review iThink! It's good to read that Pair is not lowering its high standards.

    Keep us posted!

  9. #9
    agree..
    I have used pair in the past.. for nearly 4+ yrs.. and was completely satisfied.

  10. #10
    The only thing that ever kept me from pair was the Control Panel - every time I move a database between CPs I end up with compatibility issues. So now I just stick with CPanel wherever I go these days.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA "Nawlins"
    Posts
    1,131
    pair is the best around. I have used them for more than 1.5 years. I never had a problem with the databases at pair.
    pair to&from cpanel, ensim, hsphere, plesk was never an issue for me. Just SSH in and load it up.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    509
    Yes, they provide SSH access with all accounts at Pair and that is a major plus.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by I, Brian
    The only thing that ever kept me from pair was the Control Panel - every time I move a database between CPs I end up with compatibility issues. So now I just stick with CPanel wherever I go these days.
    The only capatability issues would be between control panels and where they place sites in relation to root directories. Any host that has a clue as to what they're doing from the command line would have no problems in transferring a database from a site hosted with one control panel to another as intellec stated. MySQL is MySQL no matter where you go. cPanel has nothing to do with it.

    I still use Pair as a model for what I want to accomplish with my companies and think that Kevin runs a very tight ship. They continue to impress me to this day.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    75
    It bothers me that Pair will not recover back-ups, even for a fee. The only time they will retrieve backups is for catastrophic system failure. If your idiot client accidentally deletes a file, you are screwed. I do like and recommend them as a host however.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    161
    My experience with with PAIR happened when a client decided they wanted to leave PAIR because they weren't happy with the customer service.

    PAIR made it as difficult as possible to transfer the site, and none of their customer service avenues were adequate.

    I guess customer service stops when you decide to transfer.

    Vivvy

    Vivvy

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denton, Texas -
    Posts
    215
    Originally posted by tbroeker
    It bothers me that Pair will not recover back-ups, even for a fee. The only time they will retrieve backups is for catastrophic system failure. If your idiot client accidentally deletes a file, you are screwed. I do like and recommend them as a host however.
    That's a great way to eliminate the idiots.

    That's what I call foresight!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,304
    Originally posted by tbroeker
    It bothers me that Pair will not recover back-ups, even for a fee. The only time they will retrieve backups is for catastrophic system failure. If your idiot client accidentally deletes a file, you are screwed. I do like and recommend them as a host however.
    Now that we're running Shadow Drives, support will often recover a file for you. We don't offer a for-fee restore service but will continue to consider it.

    Kevin

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,304
    Originally posted by Vivvy
    My experience with with PAIR happened when a client decided they wanted to leave PAIR because they weren't happy with the customer service.

    PAIR made it as difficult as possible to transfer the site, and none of their customer service avenues were adequate.

    I guess customer service stops when you decide to transfer.
    I'd like to know more specifics of what went wrong, Vivvy. Can you please PM me or drop me a note?

    We never interfere with transfers, nor do we retain ownership or control of customer domains, etc, so this sounds like a communication problem.

    Kevin

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    75
    Originally posted by sigma
    Now that we're running Shadow Drives, support will often recover a file for you. We don't offer a for-fee restore service but will continue to consider it.

    Kevin
    Hehe. I have seen you mention this several times in the forum, and even pre-sales once said the same thing to me. But in the two cases where my idiot clients accidently deleted something, my restore request was flatly denied each time, even when I offered to pay a fee.

    So, under what circumstances WILL you restore a file???

    It seems that for the prices you charge, which I do not mind paying at all, that a restore from back-up should be an option even if it is for a fee of $100 per restore or something.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leigh on Sea, Essex, England
    Posts
    41
    I have run a site for one of my clients at Pair for a year now and recommend them. The only problem I have is that the stats are such a pain to gain access to that I don't bother, so I rarely check their traffic levels. Does anyone know of a simple solution for this?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,304
    Originally posted by tbroeker
    So, under what circumstances WILL you restore a file???

    It seems that for the prices you charge, which I do not mind paying at all, that a restore from back-up should be an option even if it is for a fee of $100 per restore or something.
    I will work on establishing a policy regarding this during the upcoming week.

    Kevin

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    509
    Originally posted by revsorg
    I have run a site for one of my clients at Pair for a year now and recommend them. The only problem I have is that the stats are such a pain to gain access to that I don't bother, so I rarely check their traffic levels. Does anyone know of a simple solution for this?
    I agree that accessing stats is a PITA at Pair. I believe the only way to get to the analog stats is by using SSH. There should be a link in control panel for every domain in an account, clicking which should take the user directly to the analog stats or even better awstats for that domain.

    Right now I download raw logs by FTP and then use weblog expert to see the stats in graphical form.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA "Nawlins"
    Posts
    1,131
    you can get stats via your website through any browser.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    509
    Originally posted by intellec
    you can get stats via your website through any browser.
    At Pair.com Analog or webalizer stats are only updated when you generate them using SSH or else you keep seeing the stats that you generated/processed the last time.

    I have these pages bookmarked:

    http://www.pair.com/support/knowledg...ts_analog.html

    http://www.pair.com/support/knowledg...webalizer.html

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    101
    Originally posted by iThink
    At Pair.com Analog or webalizer stats are only updated when you generate them using SSH or else you keep seeing the stats that you generated/processed the last time.
    Um... with either Analog or Webalizer you can have them generated nightly, or you can disable it via the control panel, and setup a cronjob yourself that will process the stats at a specific time.

    The limit is you can't have it up to date right now, since logs are generated nightly (~12-1 AM) and put into your account.

  26. #26
    For the past 5 months I have used pair.com 's Basic web hosting plan to host our family website and personal email.

    I previously used a couple of 2nd tier providers for around $8 /month and was regularly frustrated when something broke.

    Quite simply, pair.com works for me, all day, every day.

  27. #27
    Originally posted by Coach
    The only capatability issues would be between control panels and where they place sites in relation to root directories. Any host that has a clue as to what they're doing from the command line would have no problems in transferring a database from a site hosted with one control panel to another as intellec stated. MySQL is MySQL no matter where you go. cPanel has nothing to do with it.

    True, but if you set up a db on CPanel, then move to Ensim, CPanel apparently creates various inserts that Ensim just doesn't like, so the dbs need editing.

    And, of course, the difference in the way that Ensim and CPanel differ in the way that they use paths, requires further editing when moving between them.

    As I'm now developing a rather heft bank of databases for marketing purposes, keeping to same-Control Panel accounts means moving host/server doens't mean having to edit through an army of databases. The threat of extensive file editing is somewhat off-putting, especially as even global editors have their limits.

    Shame really, as I would've liked to have tried respected companies with their own custom panels, such as Pair and Webfusion. Maybe another time...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA "Nawlins"
    Posts
    1,131
    Maybe you could use a remote database service of some type. One that you never have to move and can edit through one control panel period.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

  29. #29
    It is OK but a little expensive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •