Angry Interland Earthlink email issue

I am having an issue with a client who is hosted on Interland and cannot recieve emails sent from Earthlink users. Interland maintains that this is an error on Earthlink's part (blocking port 25) but TONS of other ISPs are blocking 25! why would interland have troubles with this? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Shoudl I just go to another host? Shoudl I outsource or MX records and get another ISp for just the email?

HELP!!!
    thanks

Jon Spooner

Blocking port 25 IMO is just silly. It's the standard SMTP port. A host cannot be responsible if an ISP is blocking that port. They shouldn't be expected to change their ports just to satisfy an ISP who is acting obscure.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

ok yes I understand this.. yes Earthlink are being jerks

BUT that still leaves the problem of missing emails from Earthlink

Can anyone explain what the solution on the host level would be? Woudl it be accepting mail on different ports? Can anyone suggest a host who is flexible enough to accomdate this?

thanks

Originally posted by spoonernyc
    Can anyone suggest a host who is flexible enough to accomdate this?
    A dedicated server host.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Actually, I might have misunderstood your post.

Are you saying that users of Earthlink's network, using Earthlink's SMTP server to SEND email cannot send email to Interland's server? Are they receiving bounced emails? Is it possible that the Earthlink SMTP server is block listed by the host? It might not be an issue of "blocking port 25" in this case.

Someone with more networking/mail server experience will hopefully help you out more.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

This has been an issue with earthlink for quite some time. The quick fix is for your client to utilize Earthlinks outbound SMTP settings. Or have them find another ISP. Has nothing to do with Interland although I can say that I am not a fan of theirs.