1 & 1's long term plan to raise prices?

I am ordering new hosting services this mornig and after flipping a coin between lunarpages and 1 & 1, decided to go with 1&1. At least that was the best laid plan...

But, I ended up not signing up ... and here is the reason...

The package they offer is only for 6 months... this threw up a big red flag, because I've seen this before and it usually means at the end of 6 months they double the price of the hosting and you're stuck or have to move the site.

I called 1 & 1... good news/bad news. Good news is, no wait to speak to a support person. Bad news, she really couldn't explain why they'll only sell the package in a 6 month increment. And, (call me names for this, it won't be the first time), the support person had a heavy accent and my first thought was, they do their tech support overseas... not good.

So... now I'm back to flipping a coin again... do I stick with Ipowerweb and their rotten customer service but good product, or do I give Lunar a whirl.... grrrrrr.... this shouldn't be so hard..

Vivvy

Id go with Lunarpages out of the three of them, much better reputation and level of service IMO.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Based on what I read on these boards I would have to agree with Sash!

If you choose among three only - than I advice to go with Lunarpages - otherwise you may make a search for other hosts that are able to provide quality services at affordable prices

oh believe me... i've done my research.. these were the three i came down to....

if there's something else out there comparable to these three, please tell me about it...

Vivvy

Many reputable hosts offer term packages at a discount, but offer a "price lock" where your price won't increase as long as you're a customer and any future increases would affect new customers only.

Another thing to look for is a host willing to pro-rate and refund your term payment if you would cancel your service before the term expires.

I'm not quite sure what the two hosts you mentioned do in either of those cases, but I'd be sure to check up on that if you do in fact select a term package.

Just be sure to thoroughly research your new provider and get opinions from several different message boards or directories to make sure there are no biased opinions and you'll be fine.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

Originally posted by HRTimothy
    Many reputable hosts offer term packages at a discount, but offer a "price lock" where your price won't increase as long as you're a customer and any future increases would affect new customers only.

Another thing to look for is a host willing to pro-rate and refund your term payment if you would cancel your service before the term expires.

I'm not quite sure what the two hosts you mentioned do in either of those cases, but I'd be sure to check up on that if you do in fact select a term package.

Just be sure to thoroughly research your new provider and get opinions from several different message boards or directories to make sure there are no biased opinions and you'll be fine.
    Great advice Timothy :-) I totally agree with with every point.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

if it was only a coin toss between the two, shouldn't Lunarpages be the obvious choice?
    Take care,
    Brad Birmingham
    http://www.bluevirtual.com

Lunar pages couldn't answer a simple question when I called... that didn't bode well... I just wanted to know what stats they use since it isn't immediately obvious on the site.

Bottom line is, if I'm buying space for a client one of the most important things is going to be stats... I have yet to be hired by someone who doesn't want to know statistics regarding their site. When the stasts program a host offers isn't on their website, or not obvious, it really has an impact on whether I will chooose them.

Vivvy

Something else...

A lot of merchant accounts are not offering accounts to companies with an Annual contract... some do not even let the 6 month go and make you go to monthly and qtrly.

I have seen this before and it could be the reason they are not offering the annual.

Maybe not!

The only other time I've seen abbreviated contracts like this it was part of a scam where the price of the hosting went to the moon after the initial contract ran out...

i'm not sure how merchant accounts equate with hosting ... isn't that kind of an apples vs. carrots comparison?

Vivvy

You could very well end up with a price lock at 1&1 that would allow you to extend the life of your account. If the individual you spoke to did not provide the best answer, why not call them back?

Also, if you do look at another host and determine they in fact have a money back guarantee you should also make sure there are no set up fees. Generally even with a money back guarantee the set up fees do not get returned...

Originally posted by Vivvy
    The only other time I've seen abbreviated contracts like this it was part of a scam where the price of the hosting went to the moon after the initial contract ran out...
    I don't think 1&1 would make such a leap, as that would cause way too much anger with their current customers. However, a small price hike is probably definitely on their road map. But when is raising prices never going to be an issue? Inflation is not going away and hosts can't be charging the same price, year after year, if they want to keep up with their own increased costs.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Generally even with a money back guarantee the set up fees do not get returned...
    Indeed... a thing to weigh very carefully especially when the setup fee is quite significant...

I doubt that 1&1 would hike prices much - not in their current sales strategy. However, if you register your domain through them I understand that it'll cost something like £40 to transfer it to another host.

1 & 1 may very well raise their prices.. my issue is more with the length of the contract. If they decide to raise the price after 6 months, I eat that increase.. my contract with my client is for a year. If I have a year long contract with the host and they raise their price, that is something my client has to pay in the next contract.

Bottom line, it doesn't look good, and they wouldn't give me a straight answer about why they do it. Both things added along with the inconvenience of a 6 month contract bother me.

Vivvy

Go with what you feel most comfortable with. That is sometimes the best decision. Sometimes it even works out for the best too.

And, (call me names for this, it won't be the first time), the support person had a heavy accent and my first thought was, they do their tech support overseas... not good.
    So does Microsoft.
    Dimensity Web Enterprises - ..::host.exception.dimension::..
    dimensity.net | dimensity.biz | dimensity.info | support[at]dimensity.net

Vivvy,

We did get back to you regarding the questions you had in another post you made on this board.

The questions you asked should have been answered by the tech you where talking with. Unfortunately you did not remember his/her name. Wich makes it impossible for us to reprimand the support agent for not doing their job. We take it very seriously.
    I like to help

One year contracts are bad, six months are better, month to month contracts are the way to go. There is too much risk in signing a one year contract unless the chosen host has a proven track record (several years in business).

I'm not looking for someone to be punished Mr. Anderson. If you think that what I'm looking for is the backside skin of some poor underpaid CSR, you really missed the point.

I called 5 different hosts yesterday morning. I'd been to their websites, I'd done some research, and then, as part of a decision making process, I called and asked each company a simple question. I was testing your company, and it failed. Your training failed.

As for an answer to my question, I haven't checked all the forums yet this morning. If there's an answer I have yet to run across it, but I'll pay close attention when I do.

Vivvy

You might want to concider micfo.com also I'm planning on going with them too, I was orginially going to go with lunapages....

micfo.com breaks one of my top 5 criteria... they're outside the U.S.... I have absolutely no avenue of legal action to pursue in Dubai ...

Vivvy

I have had accounts with 1&1 for some time some of their contracts are 12 months some of their contracts are 6 months and some are for 2 years. It depends on the level of service you want. (IE the highest level of hosting is 6 months, the lowest is 2 years). My current plans (all home) are 12 months. I have just renewed one plan again (2nd renew) and the price has not gone up, the level of things in the package has (subdomains from 5 to 10 etc) but the price has not.

Shorter contracts has several advantages to both the hosting form and to the user and I can't see any serious hosting company that will up the cost a great deal on short contracts as it would be a good way too lose customers.

The prices quoted by 1&1 are not marked as an introductory offer so they should be equally available to all customers old and new.

I have had my problems (on this board) with 1&1's support (still remains poor) but as others have said on here you pay for what you get. If you want all singing all dancing support, pay extra for it.

I have found it pays to have more than one account with more than 1 host which can be swapped between when necessary

micfo.com breaks one of my top 5 criteria... they're outside the U.S.... I have absolutely no avenue of legal action to pursue in Dubai ...
    Just to clarify, our head quarters is based in Dubai, AE and we do have an office in West Lafayette, Indiana. That doesn't necessarily exclude us from being a US based company.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com