Thread: Forums?

Forums?

Hey

Are forums a good idea?

I want to integrate a vb into our site. The thing is that i don`t know if it will discourage people. We have quite a few clients and they may use the board and may not.

Would you use a forum supplied from your hosting company?

We have a forum on both our hosting sites. Right now they are mostly used for reference purposes.

I know 2 very successful hosts who each use IPB on their sites and each forum is actually quite active. Each is based more on the "member helping member" than "this is a official support option" philosophy.

Forums if done properly can be a asset.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I agree, There are quite a few programmers in our forums as well that usually assist the other users with codeing issues and other inquiries. And then you put a network status section and what not,, it just helps your clients be more informed, as well as a great tool..
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

I agree with the members helping members in forums. I was with a web host and if they did not have the support forum I would probably have NEVER received any help.

Support sucked so I obviously left.

There are a bunch of threads concerning this particular topic..do a little searching here in the forums.
    For some they seem to work out well, and others not.
    I guess alot of it depends on who you are targetting.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

If used properly a Forum can be invaluable.

For me a host's forum is a very good tool to "measure" what customers feel about the service and the company as a whole. As Mortekai said, a forum if used properly can be invaluable. The customers that spend time on your support forums often spend time on other forums as well. The word of mouth that they generate can make (or break) a hosting company.

Forums can be a great asset - but they can need a heck of a lot of care and dedication to ensure they are a proper success. Perhaps the question you should be asking is not so much what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum.

Perhaps the question you should be asking is not so much what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum.
    Now that's a very interesting way to express the idea! Very... political...

Every company that I know of that uses forums have had a successful turn with it. Once again, mostly used for member to member assistance, but they get quite active at times.

I would say, yes, put up forums and see what happens. The worse case is no one uses them, and you either leave them there, or take them down.

It isn't just members helping members...

Some people will run a search on the forums for an answer before submitting a ticket...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Re: Forums?

Originally posted by intek
    Hey

Are forums a good idea?

Forums can be fantastic.

Assign someone from your support group to cruise it an hour a day (at least), if possible, to contribute and report back the "issues".

"Better communication leads to better relationships - of all kinds."

Dan
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

forum are a nice addon
    ppl usually like to browse in topics and see current news
    and ask pre-sale questions

and even member of the board usually answer new com-ers questions =]

You should do a little 'test run' with forums, maybe setup a quick copy of phpBB. Then, if it looks like it's starting to become a better idea, you can upgrade to vB. The reason I am saying you shouldn't start off with vB, is that vB isn't free. You should see if the idea flies first, before you invest in such a thing.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    You should do a little 'test run' with forums, maybe setup a quick copy of phpBB. Then, if it looks like it's starting to become a better idea, you can upgrade to vB. The reason I am saying you shouldn't start off with vB, is that vB isn't free. You should see if the idea flies first, before you invest in such a thing.
    Interesting... so, phpBB is free?
    When a webhost lists php as a feature, does that mean their customers can run phpBB? or is that something the webhost must install/setup/whatever in order for it to work for their customers?

thanks

Dan
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

phpbb is free software. You can install it yourself if you want to (which requires a bit of time and knowledge), but with the help fantastico all it takes is a click or so.

Anyway, all you need is to have PHP and Mysql installed to run phpbb.

A small quote from phpbb.com:

phpBB is a high powered, fully scalable, and highly customisable open-source bulletin board package. phpBB has a user-friendly interface, simple and straightforward administration panel, and helpful FAQ. Based on the powerful PHP server language and your choice of MySQL, MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or Access/ODBC database servers, phpBB is the ideal free community solution for all web sites.
    I hope this helps...

cool. thanks Dan!

Dan

i think it will probably help more than hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think going to give it a trail run on invasion. I like VB for its style and ease. It looks professional and is a dream to work with. But i guess as a test forum it wouldn't be logical.

Thank you again

-Ben
    Last edited by intek; 05-02-2004 at 12:56 AM.

Originally posted by DanPhx
    Interesting... so, phpBB is free?
    When a webhost lists php as a feature, does that mean their customers can run phpBB? or is that something the webhost must install/setup/whatever in order for it to work for their customers?

thanks

Dan
    phpBB is the name of a Web Forum
    PHP is a Language.

phpBB does infact require PHP to run (Hense, phpBB), however it does also require mySQL (Database). The individual customer/client must set up phpBB within their account. If the(your) host is really nice, they may set this up for you.

Thanks John!

Dan