I thought I'd pop this topic back up to the top. I found it doing a search and its full of great info. Maybe people can give us an update

I was on [guess] for 6 months until they ran off with the money and pretended to become a new company.

I think that host must treat clients very high who stay with them over 2-3 or even 4 years.

My longest is 2 months! Iv only had two hosts.

11 months with Wholesaleinternet.com

I usually go for cheap hosting plans that are big on features because mine's just a personal website-- no big deal if it's down for a while. ( meaning a couple of hours, not days!)
    What I am rather peeved about is the webhost shutting down without giving a word and worst of all, giving no refund for any unused service..that sucks big time..!

I've been with Alan at Ripplehost for over 2 years now and its the most reliable host I know for its price.
    I don't know how he manages it but I have not had any problems.

Other hosts I've had

Cyberwings (sucked..did not get any refund but it's bust now anyway)

Web Guyz (was good for a year then they got shut, transferred to infobeen, which was down quite a lot; needless to say, I switched)

HostingDog (One fine day, domain somehow became unaccessible..it still is the last time I tried; have given up; no word from them/no refund either)

And this last one who's name I can't remember but must have been terrible because I'm obviously not using it now.

I

hey

erm more then 3.5 years with demon-host.com, still with them

wow this thread is almost 2 years old... keep it going.

Last Host (communitech)- 4 years
    Current Host (httpme) - 2 years

I'm an Aries.. i don't like change.. and I've been lucky..

but now looking to move as prices have come down ;-)
    ^5
    Hosting is so much fun...

About 4 years plus with Innerhost/Interland

Innerhost was one of the best hosts I have ever experienced. When the company is sold to Interland, the reliability of the network, uptime and emails turns pretty bad.

Cristiano
    HostPulse.com - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

vervehosting - 2.5 years

1and1 UK for nearly 4 years now
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

tera-byte.com for 6 years....then with dixiesys.com for 2 more
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

Ive been with creative-eye.net for about 6 months now.
    The only time I experience downtime was when the nocster network went down that time.

Customer support is great, if I needed my account upgraded or if I had a simple problem I would just give Gianni a bell on MSN and he would sort it out with-in that minute.

9.9Stars

Originally posted by fozzy
    I thought I'd pop this topic back up to the top. I found it doing a search and its full of great info. Maybe people can give us an update
    Am i missing something here? have some posts been deleted before yours? any why does this thread have 19,000 views
    Hyperconfused (™)

I think its been split from the original thread .. eh mod ?

nettigritty.com Web Hosting
    TAMING THE WORLD WILD WEB

Just before I posted there were heaps of pages, I think they went and archived it?

Netfirms free hosting for about 10 months I believe. Never noticed any downtime with them (just a slowdown once, but they were aware of the problem and lasted less than a day) and it's been the best experience (excepting the host I currently with, which is even better so far).

Hosts

I went with Ameritech/SBC back in the mid-90's when they were the only game in town... $50 a month for bupkis... stayed with them until about 3 years ago when some real contenders came onto the market. I currently use...

Your-site.com - They've been having huge tech problems lately. The price is right, but I think their infrastructure is having some serious growing pains. A year ago I would have recommended them.. now I'm shopping for a place to move a dozen sites. Their Pop3 email works sporadically.

IPowerweb - if you don't mind waiting on the phone for a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour for tech support, the product seems solid. Their automated tech support is worthless. Their control panel rocks, and they've got lots of bells and whistles. The stats program is pitiful, which is really incongruent to the rest of their extras. The B2 blog is exceptional.

J-C Hosting - A regional host in the midwest, a real up and comer. They have some potential. Tech support is excellent, and they offer Urchin 5 as their stats program. I'd overlook almost anything to have Urchin 5, but they haven't given me any reason not to like their services.

Be-hosted.com - Easy to set up, but the control panel is worthless. Their infrastructure is strong, I haven't noticed any downtime, and the email is reliable. At $3.95 a month their lowest priced package is hefty in storage and transfer, but not much else. Webalizer, probably the worst stats program around, is what they offer their clients.

Korksoft - Once was enough. This man shouldn't be allowed to sell hosting. I have a laundry list of problems, ending in my need to report him to the attorney general in my state, his state and to his BBB.

Eart*****- I inherited this hosting plan with a couple of clients. It's not priced right, and that almost goes without saying considering who most of their clients are... people who have an ISP that offers hosting and they don't know enough to know better. What you get isn't competitive for similar priced hosts. Downtime is non-existent, but you should expect that with a behemoth like EL. If they don't have their infrastructure right, we should worry. The control panel is so-so, but they do offer Urchin Stats (3.1). Email is dependable.

I've been with a handful of regional hosts (iquest, netnitco, seidata, online malls) and mostly have found that regional means less quality, and poor tech support, at least here in the US Midwest. I have come to believe that only national hosts with strong infrastructure can truly support my hosting needs.

Whew... long post for a newbie... LOL

Vivvy

Originally posted by Loon
    Am i missing something here? have some posts been deleted before yours? any why does this thread have 19,000 views
    These posts still in this thread were split from the original thread which was started like 2 years ago. So this will keep this thread in it's own proper context.

Good call by the Administration/Moderation team.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services

Nice informative post Vivvy... You really have some experience with hosts!

And nicely done mods! Keep up the good work!

The sad thing is, 50 websites later... I still feel like a fish out of water when choosing a host.... and I just can't seem to find the perfect one...

maybe posting in this forum will help the perfect one fall into my lap.... well... i can hope... LOL

Vivvy

I still feel like a fish out of water when choosing a host
    I wonder why, there is such a wide variety of hosts around? The choice is really great - and, I think, that's good.

There are lots of hosts around... but very few that offer something worthwhile, and even fewer that are dependable.

Anyone can throw together a server and put up a website to sell space ... it takes serious research to weed out the disasters waiting to happen from the very few who provide adequate service. I have only chosen one disaster, and of the rest, none are good enough that I'm anxious to return to them.

After 7 years of doing this work, it's still a very difficult decision... and I haven't run across that host that I would recommend consistently, and in my position, a lot of people ask me.

Vivvy

Originally posted by Vivvy
    The sad thing is, 50 websites later... I still feel like a fish out of water when choosing a host.... and I just can't seem to find the perfect one...

maybe posting in this forum will help the perfect one fall into my lap.... well... i can hope... LOL

Vivvy
    Hate to say it again...but darn it I will.

There is no such thing as a perfect host...only the perfect host for you at the moment...and only for that moment as your needs and desires will change. Just part of life.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services

Which means I have to go back to the process of choosing... which is fine, it's just a stickey wicket. What was important last year isn't this year, and visa versa.

Here's a good example. Before this year I have never had a client ask about Blogs, and only one had asked about an internal forum. This year, since January, two new clients and one long time client, asked to have this included in their contracts as part of the design project. This is a component that I never even would have considered as part of my criteria in choosing a host before. Now it has to be on the list. But there's where the fish out of water feeling comes along. Now I'm having to educate myself about a whole new component, and weigh it with the rest.

It's easy for me to say, minimum 300 mb space, minimum 10 gb transfer, as a baseline. But it's not just about space and transfer. There are a dozen other questions. Beyond that, my goal needs to be long term hosting, and the host I engage today could be totally out of sync with the industry tomorrow.

And they hold all the cards. Any host can close their doors, quadruple their prices, or shut down your site at their pleasure. So while I'm probably more educated and more cautious than most... I'm still a fish out of water...

Vivvy