[Wanted] Professional E-Commerce Solution

It would be hard to estimate how many pages the site would actually need.

Excluding all the individual shopping cart pages for the products it would probably not need that many more. Maybe just a few pages about the company itself. Kind of similar to http://pcloaded.co.uk/ and http://www.ebuyer.com. eBuyer in my opinion is exactly the kind of design i'm looking for, it's crisp, professional and easy to navigate, although their product range is far vaster than mine will be.

The number of products would be 150-200. All just different variants of computer processors and accessories.

A shopping cart would be required. With product data stored in databases.

The catalogue would probably be updated every couple of weeks with new products. Maybe slightly more frequent though (every 10 days).

I will definitely need a online credit card transaction system of some kind.

There will be photos of all the stock. However these can be obtained from the product manufacturers (AMD and Intel mainly).

I don't think that it would need to be entirely custom as the product range isn't that vast really.

If you could help me, or direct me to someone/somewhere that could provide such a service i would be most grateful. Or if you could help on just one point e.g. the design itself, excluding any e-commerce features.

Thanks,
    James Clark
    [email protected]

I think you will always need to have a deadline for any work you are doing..there has to be some point that you know you must have the design done.

I will definitely need a online credit card transaction system of some kind.
    Do you mean a processor so you can accept credit cards?
    If you do, you could do this yourself, you just have to signup for either a third party CC processor (www.2checkout.com and www.paysystems.com for example) or your own merchant account

For the design, I would like to recommend http://www.cedarvalleyweb.com
    They did www.rnhost.com for me if you are interested in seeing some of their work in action

John
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Yes your right deadlines are important but I should qualify that by saying we prefer to work with reasonable production schedules to allow for high quality work to be produced. Thanks for pointing that out John.

Why dont you use X-Cart Gold..and get a design.
    When everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough Mario Andretti, Racer

To be honest that isn't really what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a more custom kind of script. One that looks more professional and business like. Even though i'm going back on my word, after looking at the shopping carts available i've decided to get one specially developed.

Thanks,
    James Clark

Custom Scritpt would cost you much more than X-Cart or any other script with same or more features that you'd need. It woudl not be wise to got a custom script atleast in shopping cart. Woudl suggest to view a demo of x-cart gold. has so many addons and everything you need.

Let me know if you need X-cart
    When everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough Mario Andretti, Racer

I agree with buying a cart and then using its templating capability to twist it into the design you want. Otherwise, you are maintaining a lot of stuff unnecessarily.
    Mike Collins
    PDAPhoneHome - Get Converged! : NorthEastFoto - Take a Picture!

James, I've sent you a PM.... I agree with the others it would be foolish to waste the money on a custom setup.

Have any of you chaps done a e commerce solution out of a box * so to speak*? I would very much be interested to see one of the same size and magnitude of either of the two url's that were given as display examples.

You can look at http://pdaphone.com/shop . This was done with SunShop and not a lot of creative work yet. I am doing a total new site design and branding and will update the storefront at that time, but this should give you a sense of out of the box.
    Mike Collins
    PDAPhoneHome - Get Converged! : NorthEastFoto - Take a Picture!

Thanks Utopia, although you say you've not done any creative work, it still looks presentable and perfectly adequate for this business.

What kind of time scale did it take you to build that website to completion if you don't mind me asking, I'm interested to know the difference in time taken to build that as compared to the bespoke/hand made similar application.

I am not the programmer or the product design although I give inputs, I'm the business and marketing side of the company so as we are a new company I personally am guided alot of the time by the experts in the various fields.

When I sent my quote to the gentlement who made the initial request my engineers came back to me and told me that to get the quality job done of equal or better quality to www.ebuyer.com they said an *out of the box solution* would still have to be hugely adjusted.

Just wondered what your opinion was on that?

Even though we could make something like that even at our specially reduced price we are no way going to make something liek that on the as cheap as other people have quoted.My quote was no where near the lowest the gentlement recieved as for me my work is my best advert.

Normally we would take 10,000 for doing something similar in quality to www.ebuyer.com I would be greatly interested to hear anybody elses thoughts on this.

I mean I believe for my engineers to make that similar product it would take one man five months to make or two guys 2 and one half months.

What is anybody elses opinion in terms of time taken?

To be fair though. You have not shown me any evidence that you are capable of achieving what i'm after. Most (about 95%) of the other sites i have quotes from have shown me examples of what they can do.

Thats the problem with being a relatively new company. However, we are getting orders and we are busy working on projects so it won't be long before we have examples to show clients.

The first thing clients ask for is a portfolio, hence why it would be valuable for us to get some e commerce portals done. Although the company is new the guys are not new, and due to our not having a portfolio we don't take large advance payments where as most of the other guys local to me take a third in advance.

We are working on content management system stuff but have not got any E commerce that we're doing yet.

Hope your project goes well