Thread: php vs. htlm

php vs. htlm

Hello everyone.
    I am new to both web servers and wed design I am designing a site for my business but I am now hearing alot about php. I currently am using frontpage to design the site but I am woundering if I show switch to dreamweaver. Will this make the site easier to manage? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you steve

php is just a server side programming language. there is no "php vs html" as they are two entirelyl different beasts.

as for dreamweaver and frontpage - i think its a matter of personal preference. frontpage is easier I think for novices, dreamweaver would be for everyone else

html*
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

HTML is a static file. What this means is the information displayed to a user in a browser is always the same in an HTML file. Of course, there are some exceptions, like JavaScript, etc, but then technically it becomes Dynamic HTML or DHTML. HTML is in general faster than PHP because there's no "calcuation" involved before the file is returned to the visitor by the web server - the file is sent as is.

PHP is a dynamic scripting language. What this means that unlike HTML, data that is displayed is grabbed on the fly from a source, such as a database, and displayed as static data. The the visitor, both HTML and PHP appear the same when they open up the Source. PHP is generally more resource-intensive because usually, data must be obtained/generated from a source before a static copy of the file is returned to the visitor by the web server.

Hope this clears things up a little bit.
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development

First, wheter you use php, or html, has nothing to do with the program.

I recommend Dreamweaver MX or 2004.

As for the programming language, go with HTML as a first language to learn. You can't exemplify php to its fullest if you dont know html. PHP is pretty cool too, because you can have an all html page, call it a .php extention, and it will still look the same.

I have mastered html now, and I am going into PHP / MYSQL

-JezzoMaster

Per your other question: dreamweaver vs. frontpage . . . .

I say Dreamweaver. It might be a bit tougher to learn when first starting out, but well worth it.

Originally posted by jezzomaster
    PHP is pretty cool too, because you can have an all html page, call it a .php extention, and it will still look the same.
    does this mean you can rename all of your .html files with .php files and it will display perfectly fine without using any additional resources? the reason is b/c i plan on incorporating some php scripts into my site soon and if i do that, i'd just like all of my pages to end with.php for aesthetic purposes in the address bar. thanks!
    Golf Forum - If you enjoy golf, check out this forum.

Yes, you can rename .php and it should have no effect on the PHP. A way to bypass errors, IF you do experience any is to end the PHP ?> then start it again on your next script.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Yeah, should be fine.

no effect on the HTML*

Sorry I was sleepy when I posted that
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Originally posted by vprp
    does this mean you can rename all of your .html files with .php files and it will display perfectly fine without using any additional resources? the reason is b/c i plan on incorporating some php scripts into my site soon and if i do that, i'd just like all of my pages to end with.php for aesthetic purposes in the address bar. thanks!
    Yes that is correct, just make sure you have PHP installed on the server

It's not quite accurate. Renaming all .html to .php when PHP is set to execute .php files WILL increase the resources on your server even if you don't put ANY php commands in the file.. as the PHP interpreter has to search each file to work out if there is anything for it to do.

Sorry ignored the resources bit. I thought he was just worrying about display and functionality
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Why dont you have both HTML for your static page and PHP for your dynamic page?

I am more an ASP coder but looks like I have to learn PHP now...hosting on Unix is cheaper than Windows. I heard of Apache ASP, I wonder how it works.

And I'll choose Dreamweaver over Frontpage.

Its as simple as this: if it is a static page, make it .html. If there is dynamic content, make it .php so it will run the php scripts.

webwhiz: Apache ASP works fine, though if you are looking to advance from ASP to .NET you will have to stay with windows servers. Though you shouldn't feel you "have to" learn php because it is cheeper, thats like saying you have to start using linux because it is cheeper. Note: I'm not saying linux is bad but it seems silly to me to change all of your habits just because something is cheeper. If you are going to learn php, i'd do it for a better reason than server price.

what is the difference between static and dynamic?? Please remember I am still new to this.

Static is what you put in the html or what you put in the frontpage file is what appears.

Dynamic is effected by the server. For instance, www.cnn.com is dynamic. There are recent stories posted on the home page. It's all dynamic. That means they don't have to go in and change the file themselves like "use this picture here, put this text here, put a link here" over and over again. They update the database and it is automated.

In a dynamic page the HTML code is created in the moment (php does this job) for your browser to read it. This is the case of a search engine (in most cases not php but this helps to understand), php will search the database for stuff related to your search and then print an html page for you. This was dynamic cause the page was build in that moment.

A static page only sends you the html, and this html will always be the same (the one you created).

Hope this helps you understand.

DW is much better compared to FrontPage.

thank you for all the info guys that helps alot. what if i wanted to add a link for specific uses and have them log in for important info can i do this through frontpage?and also where is a good place to find info on dinamic web pages?

I'll recommend this book: "Beginning PHP4 ".