gblx ( global crossing ) opinions?

Hi everyone I'm new to the board, I just stumbled across this site today.

Anyway, I was talking to our net admin today ( we are a small ISP in St Louis ) and he's looking for a failover link to augment our connection to UUnet. He got a bid from global crossing aka gblx and neither of us really know much about them.

I spent a couple hours this morning reading through these forums and I came to the conclusion that there are quite a few knowledgeable people here so I figured what the hell, I'll toss it out and see what they say. I did a bit of googlin' on them but I really ahvent seen anything in the way of "customer testamonials"

So...anyone have any experience with them?

--L0stm4n

GBLX has pretty good connection to Asia, not to mention they have good peerings around.

My provider, CyberWurx uses GBLX as well and the latency has been superb! You can count on them Anyway, its just backup failover, it will serve you good.

Agreed, for a backup/failover, GBLX should be fine. The recently went through bankruptcy/reorganization but seem to be coming out of that well off. Good luck.

you could say that (coming out of bankruptcy) about worldcom and xo and abovenet too.

We've been using them for several years now and have been genuinely pleased. The biggest headache was the provisioning part, but once we got it turned up, its worked like a charm.

Don't know of any reps in your area, back Jack Downs is the sales rep that I am familiar with. If he can't help you, he will turn you on to who can.

Jack.downs@globalcrossing.com
    310-385-5212

What are you guys talking about? Global Crossing is very strong.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I'm not a fan of GLBX in the New York area, I have had some problems with them when I was at NAC.

I would venture to say that your problems were with NAC itself, not GBLX.

Kind of off topic but there was an article in the Wall Street Journal (yesterday or day before) about Global Crossing in that they were not doing their financial statements well. They were going to have to go back and restate revenue for the last few years and were pulling their estimates for this year.

The article alluded to the fact that they also needed current funding and possibly were going to be in trouble if they didn't find more money from investors. Of course the article went on to say that this might not happen because of the recent accounting and that investors might not want to see their in such a risky adventure whereby the company needs a cash infusion every six months.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Originally posted by beachtrader
    Kind of off topic but there was an article in the Wall Street Journal (yesterday or day before) about Global Crossing in that they were not doing their financial statements well. They were going to have to go back and restate revenue for the last few years and were pulling their estimates for this year.

The article alluded to the fact that they also needed current funding and possibly were going to be in trouble if they didn't find more money from investors. Of course the article went on to say that this might not happen because of the recent accounting and that investors might not want to see their in such a risky adventure whereby the company needs a cash infusion every six months.
    Yep, STT were going to fund them more, but seems like that isn't happening. Maybe Icahn will get it again..
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I would hardly call being forced to be de-listed from NASDAQ "doing well." Global Crossing may soon be going on their final dive, doubt the courts will give them a second chance.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I would venture to say that your problems were with NAC itself, not GBLX.
    No, it was GLBX, a few other datacenters were effected by it.. it was definately them. For about 2 weeks i had packet loss problems strictly within their network. Usually not severe, but there nevertheless.

Didn't NAC have other routes you could utilize? Its not as if you were stuck on GBLX right?

Re: gblx ( global crossing ) opinions?

Originally posted by L0stm4n
    Hi everyone I'm new to the board, I just stumbled across this site today.

Anyway, I was talking to our net admin today ( we are a small ISP in St Louis ) and he's looking for a failover link to augment our connection to UUnet. He got a bid from global crossing aka gblx and neither of us really know much about them.

I spent a couple hours this morning reading through these forums and I came to the conclusion that there are quite a few knowledgeable people here so I figured what the hell, I'll toss it out and see what they say. I did a bit of googlin' on them but I really ahvent seen anything in the way of "customer testamonials"

So...anyone have any experience with them?

--L0stm4n
    Global crossing has a very nice pricing.. ( + / - 50 USD per Meg )
    W've got a nice offer from them for our Datcenter is germany, will see, I'll may gonna sign up with them.. not sure jet
    Mateo Meier
    Founder Artmotion
    http://www.artmotion.eu

Originally posted by incipio
    Agreed, for a backup/failover, GBLX should be fine. The recently went through bankruptcy/reorganization but seem to be coming out of that well off. Good luck.
    They majorly screwed up in their accounting department . There are a minimum of 10 class action lawsuits that have been launched against them in the last week on behalf of shareholders. They're a good provider, but I'm not sure how financially sound they are at this point in time, even after bankruptcy.

-Josh

Didn't NAC have other routes you could utilize? Its not as if you were stuck on GBLX right?
    It isn't like I had a choice on which one my customers used. I asked to have it taken out of the mix, but ofcourse it never happened. Regardless, this thread is about GLBX, not NAC.

I like GBLX (well their share price has already gained me 40%)

bankruptcy seems unlikely now, basically people heard they had possible financial errors, remember MCI/worldcom and got worried. What is being mentioned now is that it is alot smaller than initially thought and not likely to have an effect on long term profits.