Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cisco vs. Foundry Networks

Hello there,
    I'm working on my network plans and my network engineer is set on getting a Cisco 6509 to put behind our Juniper M20. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was here of the Cisco 6509 vs. say the Foundry Bigiron II+ or similar Foundry products. The Foundry products seem to be cheaper, and a bunch of people seem to use them and really like their performance, etc. The switch would be used to hook colocated clients to and feed off to other switches for our shared hosting servers and dedicated servers. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both these products? Do you have any suggestions or comments, things I should look out for with either?

What management module should I get with the Foundry? We were planning on the SUP2 with the 6509.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Re: Cisco vs. Foundry Networks

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    What management module should I get with the Foundry? We were planning on the SUP2 with the 6509.
    You are not planning to run SUP720? What MSFC will you run? Obviously this is being used for layer 3 customer aggregation, or you'd be using FastIron or BigIron. Are you planning to connect your customers directly to 6509 ports? That's expensive.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Was planning on the WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2, that's what the network engineer said, he was saying we needed need the SUP720, not sure why though. I normally just go by what he tells me.

The plan is to only connect larger clients to it, like GigE/FastE feeds for full cabinets (probably half cabinets as well), feeds to the 48 port switches we'll be using for dedicated servers and shared hosting servers, etc. Do you have a suggestion that may work better for this?
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

SUP720 is insanely expensive since they're not available on the Used Market. It have to be brought new from cisco. a fully configured one is in the range of 100K...

It probably makes more sense to go with the MSFC for now
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Considering it will be almost impossible to get your hands on a SUP720 on the 2nd hand market like Jay said, I would defiantly lean toward a foundry box. Any foundry gear would kick SUP2's a** any day. The SUP720 is nice, but it will cost you a pretty penny, and a long wait time. I know some that have been waiting 120+ days for the ones they ordered.

You would be pretty safe with a BigIron 8K IronCore to push up to 2-3 Gigabit with out and trouble

keep in mind Cisco is good, but when you push it hard it craps out. Sup720 can't handle small packets very well.

I agree, Foundry can push some traffic. I would suggest you look at the Jetcore models as they are prefix based and not flow based.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Foundry would be Layer 2 aggregation instead of Layer3 though.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Why not Layer 3?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

I'd go with the 6509 (6513 if I had space for it). Sup 720 is nice, but if you're not putting it on the edge and running uRPF a Sup II is OK. One nice new blade is the 6748 - it's Sup720 only, but non-oversubscribed 10/100/1000 48 port. How many gigabits are you expecting to be pushing?

Don't forget Cisco's leasing can be more cost effective than ebay if you have some credit history.

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    I agree, Foundry can push some traffic. I would suggest you look at the Jetcore models as they are prefix based and not flow based.
    No, that's wrong, and if you'd taken the time to read the archetictural notes they published when the JetCore modules were released, you would know that. The JetCore modules use the same basic technology as the IronCore. They still have the same 3 level IPv4 TCAM, however the JetCore CAM is twice as large. Some of the TCAM table entries are now twice as large, though; the layer 4 service load balancing flow entries, for example.
    The reason JetCore is less vulnerable to random source / destination DDoS is that, upon a TCAM lookup miss on the ingress module, the IronCore modules forward the entire frame to the management module; and the management module then updates the ingress module's TCAM. JetCore forwards only the first 64 bytes of the lookup miss packet to the management blade to do the same job. I posted on this in great detail a couple months ago. Search my posts for Foundry and you should find some good information.

I think you may be looking at the old code, the new code allows ACLs and such to be prefix based (from what I have read).

Disclaimer: I am going by what Foundry has told me. If this is not true, then the statement should be "the Jetcore blades perform like prefix based switches"
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

I think you may be looking at the old code, the new code allows ACLs and such to be prefix based (from what I have read).
    Foundry states that the JetCore modules perform like prefix-based switches, but if you actually take the time to do some research; as I have, you'll learn that JetCore is essentially the same TCAM as IronCore with some tweaks that they learned in the school of hard knocks. All forwarding in JetCore boxes is done on a flow basis, and the TCAM on ingress line-cards is updated, based on the CPU's FIB, configured ACLs, and so on, as each new flow is constructed at the ingress module.

Jeff, thanks for the information. I could probably read the whole white paper and still not fully understand it all BTW, which white paper are you reading?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

Jeff, thanks for the information. I could probably read the whole white paper and still not fully understand it all BTW, which white paper are you reading?
    To understand the issues discussed in this thread, you really need to first read up on IronCore, and then learn about the changes introduced by JetCore.

http://www.foundrynet.com/products/l...IronBrief.html
    http://www.foundrynet.com/solutions/...s/JetCore.html

based on this, it doesnt look like the optimization removes the problem with the routing algorithm being flow-based but simply alleviates certain consequences of it under certain conditions. the O-notation efficiency of the algorithm remains approximately the same and i would venture a guess that in edge cases, such as high pps with packet per src/dest tuple, the thing would croak anyway. am i offbase?

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by rusko
    based on this, it doesnt look like the optimization removes the problem with the routing algorithm being flow-based but simply alleviates certain consequences of it under certain conditions. the O-notation efficiency of the algorithm remains approximately the same and i would venture a guess that in edge cases, such as high pps with packet per src/dest tuple, the thing would croak anyway. am i offbase?
    You are absolutely correct. I discussed this in my post about a month ago (search my posts for Foundry or JetCore or FID). The main reason the JetCore platform survives longer, though; is that the IronCore modules send the ENTIRE PACKET to the management CPU when they encounter a TCAM miss packet! The JetCore modules send only the first 64 bytes of the packet to the CPU, which means it can perform lookups and TCAM updates far more efficiently.

When the BigIron layer 3 IronCore boxes first came out, you may remember Foundry sales and engineering folks assuring potential customers that yes, they would perform as well as boxes which use a full FIB to forward every packet. They only learned that wasn't true when random source/dest DDoS events were encountered in the real world. The same is basically true for JetCore, but the bar has been raised substantially.

i did read that post, at least the post i think you meant =] cutting down on the size of the data forwarded per flow established seems to be alleviating linecard-to-mgmt banwidth contention and maybe some memory copying overhead on the mgmt card, which wouldnt even be in my top 10 of problems with flow-based routing algos. so, unless i am offbase, all they have done is they have fixed their previously broken flow-based routing implementation as opposed to somehow enhancing it so it wouldnt suck so much.

paul

Foundry seems to be used widely and especially amongst alot of hosts in Europe and .edu across the world.

EV1 uses them across both datacenters, and from the pictures they put up on there website during the construction of the second facility (which were later removed) showed 2* Foundry BigIron 8000 with redundant MGT3 cards and the rest were GIGe port blades. (I believe they form the core distibution of ev1 network)

EV1 seems to have alot of sucess with Foundry equipment as an example of a host pushing alot of traffic.
    Last edited by s.h.a.zz.y; 05-02-2004 at 09:32 PM.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Originally posted by jsw6
    You are absolutely correct. I discussed this in my post about a month ago (search my posts for Foundry or JetCore or FID). The main reason the JetCore platform survives longer, though; is that the IronCore modules send the ENTIRE PACKET to the management CPU when they encounter a TCAM miss packet! The JetCore modules send only the first 64 bytes of the packet to the CPU, which means it can perform lookups and TCAM updates far more efficiently.

When the BigIron layer 3 IronCore boxes first came out, you may remember Foundry sales and engineering folks assuring potential customers that yes, they would perform as well as boxes which use a full FIB to forward every packet. They only learned that wasn't true when random source/dest DDoS events were encountered in the real world. The same is basically true for JetCore, but the bar has been raised substantially.
    Jeff, would this be a reason not to go with Foundry or can we assume that most layer3 switching equipment in the same range (cisco 6500 and extreme blackdiamond 6800) would falter under the same load?
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

While I don't have the tech specifics to compare Foundry to the Extreme right in front of me, I do know that a typical 6800 BD behaves very much the same as the foundry under heavy DDos, where the IPFDB starts to turnover very quickly and the CPU utilization skyrockets.

However, when equipped with either the ARM or MPLS module, the BD has the ability to route based on LPM. Both of these modules act as routers that are one-armed off the switch fabric and have the ability to greatly increase the L3 traffic capability of the switch. Extreme markets the ARM with the capacity to route 6Gb's of traffic per ARM module, and I believe you can have up to 3 in a chassis.

Like I said, this is in theory, I have never actually tried this so really can speak first hand, but it might be something worth investigating.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 05-02-2004 at 10:58 PM.

Originally posted by s.h.a.zz.y
    EV1 uses them across both datacenters, and from the pictures they put up on there website during the construction of the second facility (which were later removed) showed 2* Foundry BigIron 8000 with redundant MGT3 cards and the rest were GIGe port blades. (I believe they form the core distibution of ev1 network)

EV1 seems to have alot of sucess with Foundry equipment as an example of a host pushing alot of traffic.
    Would this be the same EV1 who has six Juniper m20s in their Texas facility? Hrm, I think so.

Originally posted by DoubleD
    However, when equipped with either the ARM or MPLS module, the BD has the ability to route based on LPM. Both of these modules act as routers that are one-armed off the switch fabric and have the ability to greatly increase the L3 traffic capability of the switch.
    MPLS LSPs are single flows, even though many thousands of what one would call Layer 3 IPv4 flows are encapsulated within the LSP traffic. This works the same as a layer 2 switch (Foundry, for example) forwarding a large number of layer 3 flows as a single layer 2 flow between two MAC addresses which transit the box.

Originally posted by rusko
    i did read that post, at least the post i think you meant =] cutting down on the size of the data forwarded per flow established seems to be alleviating linecard-to-mgmt banwidth contention and maybe some memory copying overhead on the mgmt card, which wouldnt even be in my top 10 of problems with flow-based routing algos. so, unless i am offbase, all they have done is they have fixed their previously broken flow-based routing implementation as opposed to somehow enhancing it so it wouldnt suck so much.
    Foundry boxes have 8Gb/s cross-bar fabric interconnecting all the modules, including the management modules. The problem with IronCore is that entire TCAM miss packets were copied to the management module's memory and processed by the CPU, as opposed to the first 64 bytes in JetCore implementations.
    What they have done in JetCore is pretty much what you have described -- they have fixed some very broken aspects of the IronCore archeticture, but it's still the same flow-based archeticture with few changes from IronCore to JetCore. Some big symptoms have been relieved.

Flow-based boxes aren't intrinsically bad. The problem is that vendors of flow-based archetictures have marketed their boxes to carriers and large hosting companies who do have both DDoS events and large enough amounts of traffic that CAM thrashing is a problem even under normal traffic conditions in the core.
    Procket, who you will begin hearing more and more about over the next couple of years, makes a flow-based box that is capable of operating in these environments for one reason alone. Their box can update the ingress modules' CAM with new flow entries as quickly as new, single-packet, flows can arrive at the wire rate on their biggest (oc768c) interfaces. Why are they flow-based, then? Who knows. But they are going to make it work, and I suspect they are already making a lot of other vendors of flow-based routing platforms feel out-paced.

Originally posted by jsw6
    Would this be the same EV1 who has six Juniper m20s in their Texas facility? Hrm, I think so.
    for the sake of completeness, i believe what you meant to convey is that ev1 uses foundries for layer 2 where they excel. we are talking layer 3 here.

i would be interested in a good real-life comparison of 65xx and ironcore and jetcore bigirons in a core switch layer 3 capacity. both throughput under normal conditions as well as handling of reasonably large ddos events. my guess that a combination of a bigiron and an m5 would work best, but its a hunch.

paul

Interesting stuff, Yes EV1 does use BigIrons but I know they had a problem with one of the newer cards. I am not sure if it's the BI MG8 or the BI JetCore (think it was the MG8). Yes, they also use Juniper.

I was looking at the release notes of the latest OS and they also have implemented CAM/CPU protection in the event of over utilization. From what I have read, you can set a threshold on CAM/CPU utilization tp perform an action based upon meeting that set threshold. The actions are changing the age limit of the CAM entries to a shorter time, drop/flood unknown unicast and drop/flood unknown multicast.

Jeff, I am interested in your thoughts? The decrease in the CAM entries age could help, but I would think it may do more harm than good. (again, I am not a network gear head just trying to learn)
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

decreasing the age is supposed to purge the entries associated with the bogus (spoofed) flows faster. however, this will only help if they can be purged faster than new flows come in. to me, at least in certain situations, this sounds like a recipe for more thrashing.

i know you asked for jeff, but what the heck =]

paul

As is often the case, I agree with rusko. A lower CAM entry age really isn't helpful when new flows appear quickly enough to take the CPU to 100%. It's unable to populate the ingress module TCAM with new flow entries to keep up.
    Dropping "unknown unicast," as in uRPF filtering, still involves setting up flow entries on the ingress modules; the same applies to multicast flows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast