sent my server off today

i hope ups doesnt drop it

im afraid my server will be 1000 miles away

Welcome to the colo club

My own colo-ed servers are half way around the world.

And problems - whether it be UPS dropping the box or other hardware/software failures are always a bit of a worry.

My advice is to give the box as good a burn in as you can before you ship it out to the data center. Test and retest the memory http://memtest86.com . Max out the CPU for a few hours (to test how it handles overheating). And copy file trees around all over the place to test your disks. Plus: running raid (software or hardware) does a ton to increase your peace of mind.
    RimuHosting.com - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    Pingability.com - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring

Originally posted by retep
    Welcome to the colo club

My own colo-ed servers are half way around the world.

And problems - whether it be UPS dropping the box or other hardware/software failures are always a bit of a worry.

My advice is to give the box as good a burn in as you can before you ship it out to the data center. Test and retest the memory http://memtest86.com . Max out the CPU for a few hours (to test how it handles overheating). And copy file trees around all over the place to test your disks. Plus: running raid (software or hardware) does a ton to increase your peace of mind.
    yah i put hardwar raid on the box and an extra ide drive big enought to back up the array

the server has been at my house for a year now running various task so i am very confident in it.

i just prey ups doesnt break it i only insured it for $1000

retep,

totally agree with you. Memtest, checking the whole disk, and cpu test is essential before the server leave. You can also move huge files over NFS again and again to stress the disk.

Even if they do break it, i'm afraid that the UPS insurance is practically worthless as they make you prove the damage and the value of the equipment. They definately don't take your word on those matters. I find its best to start your own little insurance fund and dip out of it whenever necessary

http://www.penguinhosting.net/~sam/ups.jpg
    Well, good thing you chose UPS and not Fed Ex.
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Actually

UPS has been good to us so far. We had a large printer shipped to us the other day(HP Color Laser), that arrived damaged....UPS claims inspector was dispatched as the damage was over $500 dollars, nice guy spent about 20 minutes looking everything over and then filed our claim. The check "should" be here any day now.

Nothing but good experience with them so far, maybe it depends on your regions claim inspector?

Peter
    The Maag Group - Intelligent IT Solutions
    Colocation Dedicated Servers Server Administration
    www.maaggroup.com 877.622.4477

i usually do ups... if I ship my server off, the store is only a mile away which I plan to do soon.

I'm curious how this worked out for you...

I just received a server, very badly damaged, and have someone coming out later this afternoon to assess the damage.

Did they give you the full insured amount?
    Did they immediately take the equipment?
    If they took it, did they allow you to keep the hard drives to perform data recovery?

Originally posted by SMachiz
    http://www.penguinhosting.net/~sam/ups.jpg
    Well, good thing you chose UPS and not Fed Ex.

lol you should see what they do at the Truck yard.. they play Chicken!

11. Originally posted by moonsee
    I'm curious how this worked out for you...

I just received a server, very badly damaged, and have someone coming out later this afternoon to assess the damage.

Did they give you the full insured amount?
    Did they immediately take the equipment?
    If they took it, did they allow you to keep the hard drives to perform data recovery?
    I ship avg. 100 package a month, mostly 30~65 lb servers. in fact, I only have 2 damaged packages + 1 missing in last 2 years. thay are pretty good at it. in fact, mostly depending on how good the packing is. i.e. supermicro carton is super stong, heavy foam, and double box which I never worry about them going thru UPS' system-wide abuse unless running over by truck or gone missing.

1. they don't automatically give u the full insured amount, u need to provide receipts to prove the value
    2. for value upto $1K, they don't take equipment at all even they decide to pay u the full value, and u keep the entire damaged good
    3. if item gone missing, it would take at least 10-14 days to receive reinbursement.
    4. always specify 'signature' required. UPS often just drops off package at font door/porch...etc. and leave, even for a $5K server. some packages got stolen in this way, but UPS still 'confirms' delivery in their tracking system which causes a big fight between shipper and receiver! with signature, the receiver can't deny the receipt of good because UPS driver won't just leave package at front door for everyone to take away!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-23-2004 at 02:02 PM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by [email protected]
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully this will turn out well. She basically took some pics and said to contact the shipper (colo company) in 10 biz days. Goodie.

If i can get my insured value + keep the equipment I'd be VERY happy. I can salvage the two drives which are quite pricey on their own. Only problem is if I can dig up a receipt... it is less than the insured value.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moonsee
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by [email protected]

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully this will turn out well. She basically took some pics and said to contact the shipper (colo company) in 10 biz days. Goodie.

If i can get my insured value + keep the equipment I'd be VERY happy. I can salvage the two drives which are quite pricey on their own. Only problem is if I can dig up a receipt... it is less than the insured value.
    What kind of drives are they?
    Website Hosting - Search For Your Next Web Host.
    Web Hosting Software - Web Hosting Related Software and Products Directory.

UPS is good. I dont think you have anything to worry about. They would not be as big as they are if they had a reputation for damaging packages or loosing them. I have had a package damaged once using them in my entire life and and UPS wasnt at fault, it was poorly packaged.

DHL is also good, they are starting to become more competitive and trying to make a name for themselves. Especially with the new commercials. heh.
    Best Wishes,

Blake L. Smith - [email protected]
    XtremeBandwidth.com, Inc. - Wholesale Tier1 Bandwidth!

In Singapore we regularly see TV commercials for FedEx, UPS and DHL. It's a oligopolistic market controlled by 3 dominant firms.
    Have you Floble'd today?

my only remaining concern at this point is whether the shipper will get in contact with me

basically UPS said they will NOT deal with me at all concerning this even though it is my server, in my name, etc...

bah!

Originally posted by Knogle
    In Singapore we regularly see TV commercials for FedEx, UPS and DHL. It's a oligopolistic market controlled by 3 dominant firms.

3 different choices to choose from
    +plus the postal service in most countries

I think that is a decent choice
    How many companies could compete with worldwide service overnight???
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant

Most commercial airlines have air cargo operations that you can use to ship important packages quickly. The Patriot Act placed some new limits on who can ship what, but the airlines are always another option when you really need to get that piece of replacement hardware to your datacenter in a hurry.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

checking the whole disk, and cpu test is essential before the server leave. You can also move huge files over NFS again and again to stress the disk. Get the insurance UPS offers.
    -D

Originally posted by Knogle
    You sure you're not talking about the US ? Lately, there have been a lot of UPS and DHL ads in my area, but not so many FedEx. DHL just bought out (or merged with) Airborne Express, so they now have a larger fleet and distribution capabilities across the country. I've always been a fan of Airborne - My packages always seem to arive in better condition than from UPS. With FedEx, I'm relatively close to their state/regional distribution center, and have gone there to pick up packages directly, if they need a signature, but visit my house in the middle of me being at work.

If you double box everything, and include lots of padding, everything will be fine.

-Josh

We have had extremely good service with Airborne/DHL. They'll come to your home office for pickups, shipping materials are freely delivered, and try sending a DHL package ground nowadays. They put it on a plane and it gets there the next day, or in two days. Can't beat that.

Peter
    The Maag Group - Intelligent IT Solutions
    Colocation Dedicated Servers Server Administration
    www.maaggroup.com 877.622.4477

Originally posted by e12pilot
    We have had extremely good service with Airborne/DHL. They'll come to your home office for pickups, shipping materials are freely delivered, and try sending a DHL package ground nowadays. They put it on a plane and it gets there the next day, or in two days. Can't beat that.

Peter
    In the 6-10 or so packages I've had with Airborne, I've never had a GOOD experience....I've had standard ones but nothing more.

Once DHL bought them out, the service was a noticeable difference. 3 times I wasn't there to sign for the package, twice they came back later to try again after business hours, and one time they even left the driver's cell number to call when I was available. Very impressed.