Getting a businessname...

How do you get a businessname?

Like, I live in Ontario, Canada, and I have no clue about how to get a legal business name o.O

Do you have to register a company?

What are the steps?
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

In the states.. it's rather simple & free to file for a
    DBA = Doing Business As
    which in essence is a business state tax license.
    We go directly to our local city comptroller's office and file/apply for this. Then the state sends our actual "business tax license" to our business address.. then.. take this license into your bank of choice, and open your business checking acct.

That's how it works in the usa..
    not sure about Canada..
    Goodluck!

When I lived in Ontario (a few years ago), I think I went into a Minstry of finance office to register a business name.

Have you checked there website
    www.gov.on.ca

http://www.gov.on.ca/MBS/english/gov...ess.html#start

http://www.ontariocanada.com/ontcan/...-bus-intro.jsp

yeah i know

looking into it, thanks for the links...

Hmmm, what's diff between a "doing business as" and a corporation?

Originally posted by ewhost
    Hmmm, what's diff between a "doing business as" and a corporation?
    A dba is more formally called an "assumed name" or "fictitious name." And that's just what it is -- an official record that you're using a name other than your own for business purposes. In general you can use a fictitious name whether you're an individual sole proprietor, a corporation, an LLC, or whatever.

That's why I wouldn't agree with the statement above that it's essentially a "business state tax license." While it may be true in that particular state that filing for a dba causes the state to send you a license, it's not the case in most states. It's usually a county or local registration (in the US; I don't know at which level of government it is done in Canada) of a name; you usually still have to take the step of filing in whatever way is appropriate (based on your tax status and the particular requirements for your form of business) with -- in the US -- the state, the IRS, etc.

In any case, the major difference between that and a corporation is that if you form a corporation you're creating a legal entity separate from yourself; as opposed to simply announcing that you're using a different name while still carrying on as the same legal entity (again, while that may be you individually or a separate business entity).
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I can't afford to create a corporation at the moment, so registered for a single ownership... could I later upgrade to a corporation status? Or will I have to do it like a server (get a new one, then transfer everything over)?

Sure, you can incorporate later. But one thing you'll have to deal with then is that you own the company and any related assets and debts personally. So you'll have some things to think about: are you the indvidual going to sell the established business to the new corporation? How does that affect your personal tax situation? Or will your equity in the existing business be what you invest in return for your shares in the corporation? Or are you going to start an entirely new business? Then what happens to what you're doing as a sole proprietor?

Really if you decide to go that way, incorporating sometime down the road, it'd really be a good idea to get a lawyer involved.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Here is the URL of the site where you can download the necessary forms needed to apply for a business name.

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/4VWQQC.htm

Very helpfull link, thanks Hero Doug
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Very good indeed. I like basic strategies and there is a good overview on different forms of business organisations. Thanks shraz
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

thank you

Originally posted by Yaser
    Very helpfull link, thanks Hero Doug
    No problem

And nice link on your part shraz