[question] Your Ports

Ok, I recently read over a bunch of articles sent to me by post, that you have 180 ports. 65 of which are open doors for hackers, viruses, trojans and so forth.

The article gives information on a piece of CD's you can buy, places on the net, that allow you to encode your ports, stopping such things from happening. It also tells you that firewalls cannot actually encode these ports due to Windows blocking off automated Regedits (something like that). It lets you know how to encode these manually, so here's my question;

Is it possible for a piece of software to be developed, that bypasses the windows regedit lock, encodes the ports for you, comes back out and locks it again. After doing so, installs a standard firewall for extra protection?

I am mainly interested on if this is possible, because I've been told it's not, and these articles imply that it isn't either. So what's your opinion?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

There are more than 180 ports.

Maybe so, I'm clueless, it mentions 180 that are of danger? (I only skimmed through it). I just want to know if it's possible ...
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Anything is possible. Chances are you don't have the ports open. If you're running linux you may have a few ports open like SSH, etc...Windows is generally safe. A fiewwall does do a good job of keeping intruders out. I don't know why this article is online trying to scare people.

they are trying to sell their own product
    The article gives information on a piece of CD's you can buy

If you don't lock them down with a firewall, yes it is possible to have 180 and even more ports available to the use of script kiddies to play and have fun on your servers.

A firewall is only your first line of defense as you must always remain diligent in maintaining your server and ensuring all it's important software and operating system components are up to date.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003