Information on How to start e-Business??

I am thinking about creating a website to sell stuffs. But, I don't really know what to do now. I did some research on web hosting companies and found tons of them. I dont know which one's reliable and can anyone give me some suggestions??

I also have trouble with whether to custom built my site or just buy some template already created. Can anyone give me some suggestions?? And sites that make good templates!!

Thank you so MUCH!!

Try sing something like OsCommerce.

If you want a host, try the HOSTQUOTE feature at the top of these forums.

I would suggest as above to start out with OsCommerce it will do the trick as far as your store. Now for your website that is a matter of what you wish to achieve and money you have to spend. You can get pre-made templates for a relative low price and there good also. However if you want uniqueness the chances of someone having the exact template are big. So if you have the extra capital at start get a good design that shows your uniqueness. Best of luck to you and your venture.

hey just a thought, if you move this to the ecommerce section you may get more responses.

btw, oscommerce is great but what a pita to customize and set up
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by nukehelpers
    I would suggest as above to start out with OsCommerce it will do the trick as far as your store.
    Hi Nuke,

Do you know what kind of *general consensus* exists with regard to the reliability and stability of Oscommerce ?

Is their a universally accepted superior E commerce program that is considered to be the most professional and stable to use *either commercial or open source*?

Cloud: Regarding your business I would suggest that the most important thing is to not loose site of the fact that your *product and/or service* is by far the most important factor in determinin success in my humble opinion

your *product and/or service* is by far the most important factor in determining success in my humble opinion
    Very true, but the store itself (website in this case) is important as well.

A rather popular place to buy templates from is templatemonster.com. Many hosts use their templates. Editing the template a bit can help make it "more unique".

oscommerce is nice but be warned they require users to go thru a LOT just to make a purchase, i dumped it because i noticed sales were down TREMENDOUSLY.

people do NOT want to go thru all that just to look or make a purchase!

i know they have some hacks for it, but still...

Originally posted by ldcdc
    A rather popular place to buy templates from is templatemonster.com.

bad idea dan. do a search for them here. they have way too many issues that a SERIOUS business should not have to deal with.

I would recommend Zen-cart, www.zen-cart.com
    It is fork project of oscommerce that is made more usable for a web designer, customers, and more.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Very true, but the store itself (website in this case) is important as well. Many hosts use their templates. Editing the template a bit can help make it "more unique".
    Hi Idcd,
    I do agree that presentation of course is very important, however what do you think about templates? Don't you think that they rather limit your ability to adjust and tweak them? For example adjusting the links, changing pages and adjusting the layout and adjusting the logo to your own satisfaction and having a constant system of evolutionary improvement to your website based on your clients feedback and suggestions. Do you think you can do that with a template?

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    ..snip..users to go thru a LOT just to make a purchase, i dumped it because i noticed sales were down TREMENDOUSLY.people do NOT want to go thru all that just to look or make a purchase!
    Hi Lauren
    That is exactly the kind of issues I was enquiring about. There are many examples *particularly of open source software* that the idea/concept or technical ability are fine but the design is lacking. Sometimes opensource software is more expensive in the long run.

but it looked really good though.

one of my other major complaints is all those goofy images they have on every page!

ugh

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    one of my other major complaints is all those goofy images they have on every page! ugh
    Nicely put Lauren rofl

Thank u guys for the response!!
    Really appreciate it
    But I dont understand some of the terms u guys were talking about!
    What is Oscommerce??
    If I want to create my own web site would it cost a fortune??
    My budget for the site is about $5000 is this enough??
    Is there any place where I can learn web programming??
    (I am just an undergrade student studying CS but so far I only learned C, C++, and these arent the programing I want. I want to learn how to create a website or if not creating at least know how to modify it)

With a budget of $5,000 you should hire a designer and get a fully unique layout that will look more professional, and be exactly how you want it.

OsCommerce is a shopping cart script. I think their URL is www.oscommerce.com but I will have to verify that..

Good luck

EDIT: Yup, thats the link..

Originally posted by cloud91748
    What is Oscommerce??If I want to create my own web site would it cost a fortune??My budget for the site is about $5000 is this enough??
    #

Does anybody have any idea what the *average international commercial price* would be for a good quality general E commerce solution of average size. Is that too general a description I'm wondering.