How to convince that...

How can you convince people/visitors to your site that you are a reliable host even though you are new. Being honest upfront providing details of hardware, no hidden costs, living upto SLA and why they should host with you, nice simple design and 24-7 chat support. How exactly have new hosts overcome the difficult time period when starting up as the first step is always the hardest.

Please share your opinions. thanks, Yaser

Greetings:

1. If you build it, they will probably NOT come.

Do not have the field of dreams vision.

2. Your first post stated it all -- be honest, be upfront, disclose appropriate information.

3. Do include a physical address and telephone # for contact information.

And your best bet would be to do social networking (don't be in front of the computer 24x7 <smile>) to build up local business.

And then get testimonals (that are yours <smile>) to put on your site.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

It can be a common problem for new hosts. But you have to remember, that the big hosts now were new hosts sometime, and even then they had to compete with the big guys back then....who are even bigger now. Tongue twister but hopefully you get my point.

If you look at the bigger hosts, they often have large sites with well written and well organised information. This does not neccessarily equate to a bigger/better host, but it gives the impression of a well organised outfit, that has put a lot of effort into things. Combine that with strong copy and you have a nice recipe.

Obviosly though, nothing compares to quality advertising and word of mouth. If they visit your site through these means they are at least partially interested in your services, and the jobs (?)half done.

I agree with you Professor, but people mostly hesistate to be the first ones hosted by a particular host

I think the website design should be simple, no heavy flash presentations or flash work like most of TM's templates even though broadband figures are on a rise majority of the people are on 56K or 28.8K

Yaser

Originally posted by Yaser
    I agree with you Professor, but people mostly hesistate to be the first ones hosted by a particular host
    It's funny you said that. I see a lot of new hosts here that display almost proudly that they opened for business only 3 days ago. That's definately an example of NOT what to do.

Even if they dont do that, a smart or shall i say conscious client can run a WHOIS check and see, ofc some have domains registered long back but most dont.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Starting off is tough, but once you have built a rock solid reputation and you offer value of money - they will come. We hadf a tough first year.. and then started growing almost 50% every month due to existing customers

Gotta love it when your customers are the biggest reasons for someone choosing you as a host!

Thats great to hear Allwin A, where did you advertise if you did when you began?

Thanks
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

I remember, our first advertisement was in a newsletter. It was a scary moment , having no idea how it would turn up, whether it would get any clients or not. But it did work - a little. Bottom line - if you start, be prepared to put in hours n hours of relentless work. The day your clients stand by you - it will be all worth it

PS : Our first newsletter ad was purchased from http://www.wilsonweb.com/ for their weekly email

PPS : Thanks for reminding those old days

We started advertising on Google a long time ago.

We've had our ups and downs with the keywords, but finally managed to find an awesome keyword for a low price with a 50% click through rate.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?