Question VPS Iptables firewall

I have just made a foolish leap from a virtual hosting plan to a VPS without know a whole heck of alot about Linux or network security.

I have been trying to install an iptables firewall but I've had absolutely no luck. I already tried to install APF and Kiss but apparently neither will work on a VPS. I verified this with tech support. The tech support is really helpful but this type of support doesn't come with their "managed" service.
    They have pointed me toward some great scripts but I can't get any of them to work since I seriously lack the technical skills.

I would go back to a virtual host but for several reasons I'm stuck, so if anyone has set up an iptables firewall on a VPS at Dinix can you please share your code?

Thank you,

-A

Greetings:

How is it "managed" if they cannot point you to what security measures are necessary on your part?

In any event, some VPS servers will not allow you to interact on the kernel level. And that's where a number of software firewalls fall into play.

Your VPS provider should be able to at least give you a check list or outline of what security measures you can take.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

How is it "managed" if they cannot point you to what security measures are necessary on your part?

In any event, some VPS servers will not allow you to interact on the kernel level. And that's where a number of software firewalls fall into play.

Your VPS provider should be able to at least give you a check list or outline of what security measures you can take.

Thank you.
    Yep this is exactly the problem I've been running into. Ironically their start-up guide points to a link at the CPanel forums that discusses installing the APF firewall. I guess they wrote it for their dedicated server clients without thinking about how their less technically advanced VPS customers are going to get off the ground with an unsecured box.

-A

i have a vps account, since some iptable modules are lacking, i ended up writing my own. i've tried kiss and apf too, none worked.

Lightbulb Already there

If you are using a VPS from dinix, iptables is already installed. You only need to setup your firewall rules.