Hard Drives Not Recognized

This isn't really a dedicated server so I thought I'd post it here....

I recently replaced one of the hard drives in my computer and now the computer will not boot up. Now, I'll make this clear that this is not a Master/Slave problem, the BIOS isn't recognizing the hard drives on my home computer, it's a Dell, BIOS is something like Phoenix Revision A01 or similar. Any ideas on that this can be, do you guys think that this is a problem with power or data? Any help would be appreciated.
    Michael MacKinnon

Well, I really must commend Dell support on this one. The tech that I spoke with knew his stuff and now, I'm posting on my desktop computer, not on my laptop like before. I went into the BIOS startup and pressed a series of keys and reset all the cables and it works now. I tried resetting the cables before, but this time it must have went through properly. I haven't actually called Dell support in over 2 years, and I have to say this was alright....especially considering this was only a home desktop computer.
    Michael MacKinnon

Out of curiosity, how large were the hard drives? (The reason I ask is because dependant on the size many computers will not recognize the drive's full amount of space, additionally dependant on the brand there is usually a utility you have to download or that comes bundled with retail drives which you install so it formats the drive, etc....)

Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

Dells suck. Im very surprised you got any support.

Greetings:

Dell support is good. We prefer HP though.

http://www.dynamicnet.net/news/artic...i_hp_video.htm explains why we love HP from our perspective.

But in any event, give Dell a call.

Otherwise, you may want to check PC Magazine back issues.

They had an issue in the past three months (not sure of the specific issue) that dealt with support companies who can work with you over the phone; and who are very economical.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Good to see it was working, luckly for you you didn't have the same problem I had. I got a virus that rewrote my master boot record on my hard drive, I had to do a low level format (Took about 4 hours to complete) and re-load everything.

Anyways, glad to see it's working now.

Hi,

Some old- BIOS's are not capable of handling Harddisks with capacity(>4/8 GB). It may be the case with your BIOS too - try upgrading the BIOS and then install the harddisk.

Regards,

Bright
    24 / 7 Technical Support
    Bright Info Solutions