* nocster... ally or evil?

hi people,
    is nocster really bad??? i heard a few bad things about them but I was planning to buy. I hear the support sux and the problems and especially uptime sux.

the last posts about this i found were from centuries ago. Maybe they actually got better, but post your feedback.

i was planning to get the 2.4 ghz dedicated, celeron.

Nocster is a very long roller coaster, they will be outstanding for a couple months then down for 5-10 hours the next.. Definately not the place to put anything mission critical.

ahh!!! atleast 99.9% uptime... I heard theyve been up since february. Is this true? ping is reasonable, but 90 ms from california.

do you think this is ok for a gaming server and or reseller accounts and hosting with cpanel? Please get back to me on this.. if not, where else can I go with the same server specs, 1,000 GB transfer for a similar price? im not going managed after I heard about them... heh..

anyhow, thanks

HI, It all depends on what you need. Hows your budget? I have customers running the dual xeons as game servers and they have no problem. But they also, have 1gb+ RAM and its not a celeron.

If your budget allows for a upgrade to maybe 1gb ram and a p4 or higher then i would say you will be fine.

You will get the burst/nocster bashers here but put it this way they wouldnt be in business and backed up in orders if they really sucked.

A forum that Other host hang out in is not a good place to ask for a review of another company.

Thanks and good luck with your search.
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1

my budget is less than 100 monthly

Re: nocster... ally or evil?

Originally posted by darkage
    hi people,
    is nocster really bad??? i heard a few bad things about them but I was planning to buy. I hear the support sux and the problems and especially uptime sux.

the last posts about this i found were from centuries ago. Maybe they actually got better, but post your feedback.

i was planning to get the 2.4 ghz dedicated, celeron.
    The support is far from "suxage" as you might say. One of the reasons that I've stuck with them since May 2002 is because of their amazing support team. I got a kernel upgrade and a GR security patch installed within 15 minutes of submitting a ticket thanks to Salman, and an emergency reinstall was done on another server within 6 minutes by Lou (And that included identity verification).

They're bringing in backup fiber shortly, and have switched some bandwidth providers (BTN instead of Verio), and are adding Level 3 soon. They're also working on extra internal redundancy - See http://forums.burst.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2713 . Since the fiber issue at the end of February, they haven't had any major network issues, even though some of their providers had experienced issues of their own (this did cause issues for some people on March 16th) and though their own site was massively DDOSed yesterday. For the price you pay at Nocster, you can't get the same level of support anywhere else. Feel free to read about support at other budget providers such as Managed.com (not really managed, though), ServerMatrix, and Server4You - You'll quickly see who does a better job.

Note: I may seem biased as I work for a Nocster reseller, but I host my own sites on their network, and have done so for almost 2 years straight. I've probably experienced them more than most people here on WHT, and can evaluate 2 years of service in my reviews.

-Josh
    Last edited by Joshua; 04-28-2004 at 09:12 PM.

hmm... r u sure about this or do you work for them lol/ anyhow, i like them and i think i will go with them. Thanks.

hmm... r u sure about this or do you work for them lol/ anyhow, i like them and i think i will go with them. Thanks.
    I'm SURE I don't work for them. I work for MainArea.com.

-Josh

hi,

heh.. ok. Anyhow, ill purchase in a day or two.

do you think this is ok for a gaming server and or reseller accounts and hosting with cpanel?
    Our Day of Defeat 32 player server takes out our entire Celeron 2.4 machine, and that's rebooting every morning. For a gaming server, really consider spending extra monthly fees to get a nicer server. I'd say dual Xeon with a few gigs of ram.

Originally posted by saminuske
    Our Day of Defeat 32 player server takes out our entire Celeron 2.4 machine, and that's rebooting every morning. For a gaming server, really consider spending extra monthly fees to get a nicer server. I'd say dual Xeon with a few gigs of ram.
    Heh... why would you think of running a game server on a Celeron? I'm surprised that others didn't warn you, game servers don't usually fare so well on Celerons compared with P4s or Xeons. Go with at least a P4, especially with such a small price difference.

- Matt
    Last edited by mainarea; 04-28-2004 at 10:09 PM.

Network is alright, but I wouldn't put anything mission critical on their boxes. Support is horrible, took me 10 days to get my extra ips I ordered. Price is nice though
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    Network is alright, but I wouldn't put anything mission critical on their boxes. Support is horrible, took me 10 days to get my extra ips I ordered. Price is nice though
    Sales/Networking handles IP orders, not sales. Anyway, they just implemented a new order tracking system, IP orders are going much faster now (at least it was much faster for my last two recent IP orders).

As for the network, they replaced Verio with PCCWBTN (too many issues with Verio), and should be bringing in Level3 soon (& possibly GBLX too).

- Matt

Originally posted by mainarea
    I'm surprised that others didn't warn you, game servers don't usually fare so well on Celerons compared with P4s or Xeons. Go with at least a P4, especially with such a small price difference.

- Matt
    Originally posted by COOLASU
    If your budget allows for a upgrade to maybe 1gb ram and a p4 or higher then i would say you will be fine.

Matt
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1

Never had a problem until the network going down this morning, they`ve always been very quick on support issues (within 30 minutes on 95% of cases) and extremely helpful via AIM

nocster support may vary Depends on the situation ....

I hate when they said "I will do this later this evening"

And? It was not !

And their customer support AIM always say "Sorry for the delay" ... like robot

But I can say, Salman is very very very helpfull ! Never missed with my support ticket, none ! Fast and he knows thing

Never had Any problem with Support.
    Just FYI GLBX will be adding up soon Also XO second Fiber Transport will be up soon
    Also for people who are saying network down etc it was for 25 minutes or less what i call a complete network down or so... My 3 subnets were effected for 25 minutes only. Which is the first downtime since feb. And that was also SCHEDULED
    Other then that i have many clients runnign Game servers with no problem at all
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

hmm
    well, I really need help!!! my reseller account failed and now my reseller accounts have been depleted. any idea other then... "ur screwed"

depends how bad is it
    email me at [email protected] or pm me you AIM or somwethign i will see if i can be any help ful
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

seems as if they have reasonable support. They pick up their phones, even when sales isnt around. not bad

hey,
    resellers get 25% off!!!