Sending my server away...

Hey all! A person online I've been talking to for like 3 months has offered to host a server for me farily cheap. The problem is I don't want to send my server over, and have him steal it. What can I do to insure he will send it back when I want it and not take it for his own use. The only thing I can think of is I will have his address so I could alwals call the cops. Thanks.

Basically, you can't - how are you supposed to monitor his use of it? and how do you know thats he's real address, could be a PO Box for all you know.

One thing that I always say is that if you are unsure about something and have to ask around to see if your 'safe' there is a definite chance that your not. If you get bad vibes, don't send your server to someone you don't know, who knows what could happen.

I dont think he will do anything to it. It was just a concern. Also, I cant send a computer to a P.O Box.

Put a GPS tracking chip inside your server.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

do a background check on the dude. Search for his name on the net, if he's a wht member see what his rep is, or what other people that have dealt with him report.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Does this guy have a website? A datacentre? Where will it be colocated at?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

No he doesnt. He will be hsoting from home. But he gave me a pretty good deal becuase we do the same type of work.

I would be weary of that
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Gotta be careful in situations like this. Like pmod said does he have a website or datacentre? Or is he just some guy sitting at home waiting for you to send your server down so he can keep it.

I don't think he would do that but you never know with the people out there. Any thing can do to take precaution?

Ask him where his datacenter is maybe. Get in touch with people around the area its in and find out if this guy is for real or not. You could try that. Just make sure you know where your stuff is going.

You're doing this all wrong. I will never ship a server like that again. First find a datacenter you like and negotiate with a reseller. Than sign a couple of contracts.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Ask him where his datacenter is maybe. Get in touch with people around the area its in and find out if this guy is for real or not. You could try that. Just make sure you know where your stuff is going.
    Matt read the thread lol

I think that you should get insurance out on the server if you haven't already. That would insure it if it's stole, broke and so forth.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Ahh yes insurance wish I'd thought of that long ago definately get it. Didn't even know it existed at that time.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

I was excited because he said he would give me 60GB for $15 a month.

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    Ahh yes insurance wish I'd thought of that long ago definately get it. Didn't even know it existed at that time.
    It's unfortunate what happened.

Carp, he might be for real, but don't do it without insurance. Maybe ask for an agreement or contract to be drew up because you're weary of doing such a thing?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Yea, I want to work something like that out.,

will 15 USD even cover the cost of power and rackspace? I dunno this sounds shady.

Depends, if the other guy has a current setup, it might not cost him anything extra, maybe it's his good deed?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

This is from home. He already has a network. he is just going to throw it aside and put it online for me. $15 will cover it.

He may just have dsl / cable at home and is just going to plug it into his $70 4 port router.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Originally posted by pmoduk2
    I think that you should get insurance out on the server if you haven't already.
    Right

"Hello, I'd like to buy some insurance for this expensive computer that I intend to send to a stranger I met on the internet. I'm afraid he might steal it."

You would be like the guy who insured his expensive cigar collection, smoked them all, then claimed they were "destroyed by fire". He got the money, but they charged him with arson.

he has a business class cable connection. He has a real good speed, I cant remember exactally what. He hosts something on it and its oretty fast. I cant remember any of the details.

You would be like the guy who insured his expensive cigar collection, smoked them all, then claimed they were "destroyed by fire". He got the money, but they charged him with arson.

Lol, really?

Umm? Last I checked you couldn't buy insurance on perishable goods that can only be used once so how is that the same thing.

This will be an ongoing useage. Not just one uce.