Dedicated Server Management

Does anyone know either any reliable dedicated server management freelancers or companies (which charge less than $50 an hour), or a good resource for finding one? I've been through 3 IT people and it seems that IT people are inherantly flakey and unreliable. Please help me renew my faith in IT professionals! ;-)

TheLinuxGuy- www.rack911.com

They have a special in the employment forum.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

I've tried getting in touch with him. He sent me an e-mail a week ago (or so) saying he was going to get to work doing what I needed done, and no word since, and nothing's been done. I've e-mailed him a once prior, and no response. Thanks for the info though.

Well, what is your OS and or control panel(if any).
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

I'm also interested in this service and would like recommendations from people that have experience using these people.

-Linux

I'm using Red Hat and Plesk. And what I should have mentioned before is that I need someone to do regular linux system updates, and some minor SQL work (installing phpbb forums).

Thanks!

thelinuxguy or phpdeveloper on WHT.

Greetings:

Here is a partial list:

Huck and his team at http://www.rackaid.com/

Mouse and his team at http://www.easyservermanagement.com/

Steve at http://www.rack911.com/

Ryan at http://www.rfxnetworks.com/

gpan at http://www.cheetaweb.com/

You should check out each one by email as well as telephone.

Do not -- I repeat do not -- just do it by email.

Body language makes up most of our communication; and at least by phone you get tone of voice, and you can get a feeling for whether or not you can trust the company.

Prior to signing any contract, do ask for references; and check those by phone as well (the above companies have decent reputations; however, I would not be surprised by other companies who give you references whose email addresses go back to them <g> ).

Fees can vary based on whether you are contracting for one time projects or recurring work; written service level agreements which have guaranteed response times along with payback to you for quality work not performed can also be an impact to the fees paid.

I cannot speak for any of the companies listed above, but I know we have an easier time quoting for work when we are given examples of the type of work required.

Just saying "I need a server managed" often does not provide the information necessary to provide an accurate quote.

Do ask how long various tasks take to perform; and then gauge that back to the rate or fixed fee quoted. Does the hourly rate make sense? If something sounds too good to be true, it might be too good to be true.

For example, I believe it would be fair to state that doing a good job securing a server that was never worked on (by the company or individual doing the securing) would take two to three hours doing the work by hand.

NOTE: Yes, stuff can be automated; but then how much is missed in terms of red flags or warnings because of pure copy and paste or lack of quality checks and reviews through the process.

If some one is charging $50 to secure the server, and they tell you it will take three hours, then they are making $16.67 per hour.

That may sound like a lot, but a system administrator who has 5+ years of experience typically commands a starting (key word) salary of $50,000 per year plus full time benefits including sick time, personal time, vacation time, 401K (or comparable), etc.

That often adds up to a value of $67,000 a year ($50,000 base plus benefits et all) which translates into $32.05 per hour.

And given that most consultants are not 100% billable in terms of their time; a consultant is often told to take the yearly rate they desire and divide by 1,000 hours instead of 2,080 (40 x 52).

So then you have the full time server admin working for themselves who needs to pull in at least $75,000 (benefits are more expensive if you are just you, yourself and you) to make a similar salary they made when working for some one else.

And that $75,000 divided by the 1,000 billable hours translates to $75 per hour.

So that two to three hour server hardening, in the very least, should run $150 to $225 (if not more considering they may have a lot more than 5 years experience).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I'd recommend Donna and her team at Angelnetworkz.net for server management - Very low rates, but a superb team.

-Josh

Wow, thanks so much for that thorough guide. I REALLY appreciate it!

I recommend Steve from rack911.com (thelinuxguy)
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Greetings:

Just be careful if some one is in the U.S. (or countries with similar rate structures) and they are charging $50 per hour or less.

While it is a general statement (take it with a grain of salt), if they are charging $50 or less per hour, it either means:

* They manage to be billable towards 2,080 hours per year (that's a very good accomplishment; though I'm not sure who does the paperwork <smile> et all).

May God continue to bless them with the work.

* They may not have the experience.

* They don't know their own value if they do have the experience.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

watch out with freelancers.
    one did the setup of my box total costs $200
    little extra things offcourse.

but when i was in trouble he didnt awnsers his msn and when a cought him one time he said sorry i have to go and catch a flight. my taxy is waiting. and i can assure you thats not becasue im a difficult guy but a realy nice one

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Just be careful if some one is in the U.S. (or countries with similar rate structures) and they are charging $50 per hour or less.

While it is a general statement (take it with a grain of salt), if they are charging $50 or less per hour, it either means:

* They manage to be billable towards 2,080 hours per year (that's a very good accomplishment; though I'm not sure who does the paperwork <SMILE>et all).

May God continue to bless them with the work.

* They may not have the experience.

* They don't know their own value if they do have the experience.

Thank you.
    &nbsp;

hrmm, what about me? i charge less then 50
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Greetings Steve:

You have a great reputation.

So hopefully the less than $50 per hour means you and your team are towards 2,080 hours per server / security administrator or more of billable work per year.

And if so, may the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob continue to bless you and your company.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

People from angelnetworkz are great as I know.