check your apache conf/httpd.conf file. it's possible the server is using something besides '.htaccess' -- search for "AccessFileName" by default it should be: AccessFileName .htaccess
also you can turn .htaccess on/off in a specific directory using: AllowOverride All
to allow .htaccess to override all settings or AllowOverride None
to turn .htaccess off in a directory. there's also a list of specific things you can put there to allow/block
just make sure that "AllowOverride" isn't set to "None" in your client's and/or your apache root <Directory /> settings
Originally posted by VagrantHost one of my clients has a .htaccess file in their main content directory. this file worked fine with their old server, but is not working on the new server i moved the site to.
the server is redhat enterprise 3.
anyone have any ideas?
below is the .htaccess file:
Deny from all
php_flag register_globals off
php_flag display_errors off
php_flag log_errors on
php_flag track_vars on
php_flag track_errors on
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
php_flag mysql.allow_persistent on
php_value max_execution_time 150
php_value memory_limit 16M
php_value error_reporting 'E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE'
php_value include_path .:/usr/share/pear
php_value error_log /httpdocs/****/dadalogs/php-error.log
php_value post_max_size 20M
php_value upload_max_filesize 20M
I can agree with "ricocheting". I had a similar issue with my .htaccess file not being read and I looked at the virtual host configuration for the site in question and found that the AllowOverride was set to None.
After I changed that my .htaccess file was being read