* Help and opinions please (long lots of questions)

Ok, I am new to this and have what I think are reasonable goals. I have done a search, but it is difficult weeding though the results.

I own/design/operate 3 small websites at the moment and have another 5 or 6 in the works. My current host for these sites is a friend. I get ulimited HD space, and unlimited bandwidth, so that's nice.

There are a few problems though. He has a box colocated locally that is only on a T-1. In addition to his box they have around 5 or 6 other boxes. At first I didn't have an issue with this, but as time progressed things gradually slowed down for everyone. Since the place is local they have no plans on getting a fatter pipe. A few other things that are minor are that his box is IIS and while that is ok, getting him to install new software or change certain things is a pain. He also has no control panel whatsoever, so everything has to be done by him (subdomains, permissions, email accounts etc.). It took me 2 months to get him to install mySQL and PHP so I could run vBulletin. This puts a damper on my future plans.

With up to 9-10 sites I would like to host myself. Since I am a newbie at webhosting and servers (I know my way around computers, but running a server is different from what I hear), I think my best bet would be a managed linux dedicated server. Correct? My bandwidth usage wouldn't be all that much, but it'd be nice to know it's there so nothing slows down.

Here are some questions I have:

When getting a dedicated server, do they include a control panel like Cpanel and the like? If I decide to host a few small sites to help my costs on the server, is there an easy way (software based) for me to manage (setting them up, billing etc) that part? What happens is say in a year, I want to move everything on that dedicated server to a different one by a different company?

I am not looking to make any money really, just host myself and maybe a few sites to help pay for the server.

Any thoughts, opinions and help is greatly appreciatated.

Can you let me know where he gets those unlimited hard drives from?
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    Can you let me know where he gets those unlimited hard drives from?
    He is a buddy of mine. He doesn't give that to anyone else.

Smile

Why not look for shared hosting for your sites? Definitely, you will get those cpanel things if you are planning to go with shared hosting.

Not all dedicated servers include control panel. If they do, there is a monthly charge. PLUS if you want managed service, you have to pay even more $$.

Originally posted by +sub
    He is a buddy of mine. He doesn't give that to anyone else.
    He can't give it to anyone at all.

If it takes two months to get PHP installed, I doubt the has the time/money/energy to buy unlimited amounts of hard drives as would be necessary to cater to the unlimited disk space.

Also, if things run so slowly on the connection he has, there can't be unlimited bandwidth, as most of it is being used up.

If there is no control panel or anything, I wonder how he monitors bandwidth. Judging once again based on the length to install PHP, I doubt he does it manually.

Spend a bit of time researching some companies on here, and try using the host quote feature to let you input what you want, and have hosts respond.

Good luck!
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Originally posted by miakeru
    He can't give it to anyone at all.

If it takes two months to get PHP installed, I doubt the has the time/money/energy to buy unlimited amounts of hard drives as would be necessary to cater to the unlimited disk space.

Also, if things run so slowly on the connection he has, there can't be unlimited bandwidth, as most of it is being used up.

If there is no control panel or anything, I wonder how he monitors bandwidth. Judging once again based on the length to install PHP, I doubt he does it manually.

Spend a bit of time researching some companies on here, and try using the host quote feature to let you input what you want, and have hosts respond.

Good luck!
    Ok, so maybe the word unlimited is the wrong word. He has 500GB's worth of space in the server not including backup. I am not sure how much free space he has, but if he had 350GB's free I could use it at no charge. Of course none of my websites would ever use that kind of space anyway.

Maybe I meant to say that my bandwidth isn't metered? Not sure what exactly the difference is, but like I said i the original post, I am new to this.

I have already scoped out some hosting, but still have a few questions that need answering.

I don't know how to run a webserver, so I would want Managed hosting correct? Managed hosting only applies to the actual functioning of the server (patches, security updates etc.) doesn't it? Meaning that if at some time I want to host others I manage that part myself, correct? What I want is a box ready to go, the apps up and running and ready for me to start hosting myself and maybe a few others. I like to have as much control over it as possible (within my limits). I am not computer challenged at all, but servers are a different beast than a home pc (least thats what I am told).

Now I understand how programs like Cpanel work. It lets clients manage thier own websites. Is there an equivalent for the webhost?

I am not trying to make any money here, and certainly not trying to make a business out of webhosting.

Thanks for the help so far.

Originally posted by miakeru

Theres no reason to jump on the poster for receiving "unlimited" resources from a friend.

It appears as though his friend just said - dont sweat it , use what you need. Sub also mentioned that his current situation wasnt ideal - which is why they are here looking at alternatives...

sub,

Doesnt sound like you need a dedicated server - a multi-domain shared or reseller account should suffice for your needs...

These all come with a control panel system which will allow you to add domains, subdomains, email addresses, etc...

Doesnt sound like your resource requirements are high - so, look for a reputable host that can deliver the uptime and performance you require...

Hope this helps...

Another vote for you to go with a Reseller package. It'd be cheaper for you in the long run, and you don't have to worry about the technical aspects of your server. A good market value is between $1.00 and $2.50 per gig of traffic/bandwidth/data transfer. Don't be afraid to use the host quote up above, and always do a search on anyone that you're considering. Be sure to test out their response times, as well.

To answer your question about tools for resellers, with most CPanel servers, you could potentially get access to WebHostManager, which will let you manage all accounts (add/edit/delete/reallocate resources/etc).

If you have more questions, don't be shy, ask them. Oh, and for the guys chastising him about the unlimited stuff, chill a bit. +sub is here, asking for advice and guidance, right? That means they have a clue.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)