Average IRC bandwidth usage?

Hello WHT

If you may have read before, I was planning a idea where I'd provide webspace to new channels on my network at no cost to the channel owner.

So far, the server is doing great We opened the promotion a little over a week ago, and are already sitting around 200 users

Anyways, my next question. On our main hub (well, we only got 1 server so far, heh'), we got 220GB of bandwidth & are running Hybrid 7 w/ anope services.

Warez and such are banned from the network so extremely heavy spamming is down to a minimum (well, except for the random jackass that decides to post the 2 page convo he had when he broke up with his online girlfriend...ugh).

On average, how many users should we technically be able to hold, bandwidth wise? Hardware isn't too big of a concern, since if the server starts to chug, I can link another server ont he same line.

Thanks

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I have a small IRC network which I run out of my home, on average we have maybe 25-40 users connected at once, and I find it uses such little bandwidth that I don't even notice it. I wouldn't worry too much about excessive usage. (by dont notice it, I would say it uses less then 1gb/month)

Around 600-800 users more than likely.

Are you using compression?

Just normal chatting with 220GB of transfer can push anywhere from 500-700 ballpark. (normal chatting)

I know pushing 900 users on a heavy network can push anywhere from 900GB to 1,200GB. (everything allowed)

I really havn't monitored the 900 user server in a while. If you want me to monitor a 200 user server (chat only) and the 900 or 400 user server (everything) I can get more accurate calculations.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

what do you mean with "everything" ?
    IRC is only about chatting, right?
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

(everything) will mean file transfers, warez, xdcc bots and other (usally unwanted) material. I cant leave out eggdrops, bopm, tcm, bnc and other related bots or services.

well you'r not running the xdcc bots etc. etc. from your own ircd box, right? )
    Everything else is stuff which is part of an IRC Network today... so that's included for me, when talking about this

Your DeltaAnime? Just a little confused..... I guess

Well no reguardless if your hosting the xdcc bots on your own ircd box. The transfer and communication the xdcc's use is BIGGER than the average chatting user. Also when hosting these types of bots it usally attracks a lot more users and xdcc bots hence the bandwidth increase.

So if there is XDCC bots, there is more channels, more transfers, more text usage calculating to more bandwidth consumption.

no i'm not DeltaAnima ofcourse
    I just hijacked his thread

Originally posted by BiGWill
    no i'm not DeltaAnima ofcourse
    I just hijacked his thread
    Hey! give me back my thread!

-pulls thread back-

Damn kids..

Anyways, Last I checked, i turned on gzip compression on the server. The only bots we have, are those of services it self. There are some fserves, but, most people seem to be keeping them to like, 60min timers.

Give or take 600 - 700 eh? My hopes were for ~1000, but oh well I won't be needing to worry for at least a little while longer.

Thanks everyone!

-points at BiGWill- no thanks to you

~Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

with 1200GB you can hold around 4000-6000 clients
    Ben S.

Originally posted by TheTrance
    with 1200GB you can hold around 4000-6000 clients
    I must say, that's a lot of users

Thanks for the info

~Francisco

I run a server to irc.rizon.net and it uses about 500gigs a month on an average of 1900 users. Loading up to 2800 and down to 1600.

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    I must say, that's a lot of users

Thanks for the info

~Francisco

yeah it is, thats a DALnet server though, should'nt really make much difference if theres a DNS pool and a lot of servers on the network, and a bounch of other factors, thats why my range is a bit wide...
    Ben S.

I run a rizon server averaging 4000-5000 users putting about 1200gigs a month out

I would have really thought these numbers of users would eat up far more bandwidth, but that's nice to know.
    I guess the rest of the 100mbit feed will be used during attacks

I have a server on a network that usually has around 1000 users on the network... anywhere from 200-300 users on my server at any one point in time. I average maybe 20-30Kbits/sec in and out constant from that.... that's an estimate, consdering other stuff also on the server.
    http://www.bash-shell.net - webhosting geared towards personal websites and small businesses.
    http://domains.bash-shell.net

I was keeping bandwidth logs. Currently a clients server with a 1,000 user limit on a heavy network pushes 650GB/month. These 1,000 users are LOCAL and about 10,000 users are global.