server matrix and the firewalls?

hey people

looking to get a dedicated server from these guys since they seem pretty good but anways

i want my server to be secure but i dont want to waste my money

so i was wondering if anyone has any experience this there firewalls and what they can do with them

ive looked them up on google and just keep seeing information about vpn and dhcp and not much for firewall so wondering wehter it was woth the extra $99/$149 pm

im going to be using one server on it with multple ip addresses.

thanks
    adam

Re: server matrix and the firewalls?

Originally posted by adamuk123
    hey people

looking to get a dedicated server from these guys since they seem pretty good but anways

i want my server to be secure but i dont want to waste my money

so i was wondering if anyone has any experience this there firewalls and what they can do with them

ive looked them up on google and just keep seeing information about vpn and dhcp and not much for firewall so wondering wehter it was woth the extra $99/$149 pm

im going to be using one server on it with multple ip addresses.

thanks
    adam
    I have one of the hardware firelwalls (SME cards) on one of my W2k3 servers and it has worked really well. We've tried some things against the box and it handles the load well.

It's way too pricey for the average person (I'm paying $50/month) and would reccomend a software based firewall for most.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

thanks

im tring to decided between red hat or freebsd on the box im pretty certain red hat has a inbuilt firewall just about to try freebsd now

so ill try and have a play with the firewalls

thanks
    adam

on the same topic, does anyone have any experience with floodguard? does it actually work? I have read on sm forums that does nothing.
    so basically my question is, as anyone tried to flood a server and see if floodguard stopped it?

Originally posted by Rahde
    on the same topic, does anyone have any experience with floodguard? does it actually work? I have read on sm forums that does nothing.
    so basically my question is, as anyone tried to flood a server and see if floodguard stopped it?
    i asked them this and they kinda didnt tell me "how" it works

i want to know because surely if theres a storm on a server its got to go through the network to get to the server surely that would slow down the network causing everything else to go down? i dunno i maybe wrong