Arrow Tracking bandwidth usage

Hi Guys,

I run a small little webhosting company and I have a question regarding tracking the bandwidth usage of customers.

I basically need to track bandwidth generated from: email and web traffic.

Does anybody know how I would go about doing this? Are there apps that will sniff the traffic from my main router and read the headers, etc to track/log bandwidth? Can MRTG be used in some fashion?

Essentially I have: Dedicated servers, shared virtual servers, and I have multiple email servers.

I'm using a Microsoft environment (windows server 2003, IIS, etc)

thanks in advance

You need to read your IIS and Exchange log file

Are you tracking it to see if their close to exceeding?
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

we use CPanel, which is the best. I could not live without it.

a demo can be found here (nexus.sourcedns.com:2082)

username/pass is: demo.

this is a great program.... a must have imo.

yes, i'm using it to track their usage to see if they've gone over the 50GB included in their plan.

I'll checkout CPanel.

I was hoping to avoid having to analyze the logs... what happens when I have a whole bunch of webservers!? Would have to find a way to automate the whole process...

Cpanel is a great solution for many Web hosts with respect to its ability to not only track usage but also to notify via e-mail when sites start to even approach their bandwidth quota.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Originally posted by SoN][c
    yes, i'm using it to track their usage to see if they've gone over the 50GB included in their plan.

I'll checkout CPanel.

I was hoping to avoid having to analyze the logs... what happens when I have a whole bunch of webservers!? Would have to find a way to automate the whole process...
    If you know a little about the IIS Metabase, and are able to read the log files & knew some programming or scripting you could write an application or service which would run on the local machine every day to trawl throug the log files and work out the daily transfer?

I know Helm control panel (www.webhostautomation.com) checks the users BW in this way every 30 mins.

Of course this will only do IIS logs you need to look at the logs of your email package to figure that out.