Server specs for high bandwidth website...

I am looking for a dedicated server that will run two large websites and have a few questions:

The web sites will be using ASP for the pages with a mySQL database. I have been told by many people that a windows server needs to be three times more powerful than a Linux server to achieve the same performance. Does this mean I should choose a Linux server with Chillisoft ASP as it will be faster if the specs of the two servers are identical?

The two websites receive around 5million hits a month and use 35Gb bandwidth per month (for both in total). What would you recommend for a economical server specification to run these sites? Would a P4 2GHz and 256Mb RAM be enough? The mySQL database will be hosted on a different server so that can be taken out of the equation.

Thanks in advance...

why not install ASP for apache? i dunno how well it works, but if your using mySQL instead of micro$oft's database, may be worth looking into... heres the link
    |:| Shared |:| Reseller |:| Dedicated |:|

Hi jhbodle,

Usually ASP runs together with MS Access or MS SQL Server.

Are you more comfortable with Windows or Linux?

Cristiano - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

1. You may want to consider using PHP over ASP.

2. We've found ChiliSoft ASP to be more compatible with ASP overall compared to Apache::ASP. However, even with that stated, I dislike running ChiliSoft ASP on a server; it is a bear part of the time.

Thank you.
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Well I already have a RaQ4 server for my other web sites and that runs chillisoft ASP fine. But these two new sites are different animals altogether. I am more comfortable with Windows I have to admit, but will a 2GHz P4 and 256Mb RAM cope with a site that has 5million hits a month and 35Gb Data transfer per month running Windows Server Standard 2003 and ASP?

You definitely need to upgrade the RAM to handle that load, I wouldn't use less than 1gb for a windows server

It depends on what those 5 million hits are having your machine do. Id recommend upgrading to 1GB, if you cant do that 512 might work out alright.