Thread: Firewalls

Firewalls

Hello all,

I am looking for a firewall that is very smart. I'm not sure if it exists but here is an example;

If some sad 14 year old spotty kid with no life and can't geta girlfriend fires a Trojan Horse at me through a Proxy server, I would want the firewall to send the exact thing back, but 'hack' through the Proxy and determine the exact user that sent it and %$&* up his computer.

Does such a thing exist?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Why? You don't want to start sounding like a 14 year old spotty kid with no life, do you?

It's far more likely that anyone sending nasties at you won't be the original perpetrator of the trojan/worm/whatever, but an already infected machine. Just install a decent firewall (Kerio, because it's free), some decent AV software, and bask in the knowledge you're already safer than 99% of Internet users. Then go back to worrying about your business, rather than a sad little hacker.
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

There are free versions from Zonelabs.Com and Sygate.Com also. I use Sygate and it can trace back the IP [sorry, I dont know how a proxy can be hacked] And its a waste of time since you are constantly under attack by hackers probing for open ports in your system. In a single day there are hundreds of attacks trying to sense the open ports and if you re inflicted you will have other things to worry than avenging the attacker.

How hackers cover their tracks
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99...acktracts.idg/

Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0 is the best. Asks you every time a program/process/person/thing/etc wants to access/leave your computer unless you set it to always deny or always permit. I can give you a copy since the 2.0 version is the only freeware. It's on version 4 which is paid. It's only 1MB and I can show you some screen grabs.
    Don't look for a way out.

I don't plan on going out of my way, just something to stop them or avenge them automatically in the background. I get popups telling me it's blocked them all the time "LOOK AT ME I'M NORTON I DID MY JOB". Then if you want to get more information about the attacker it lets them in!!

EDIT: RDX1, it sounds annoying, worse than NIS and nearly as bad as Panda!!
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Firewalls are annoying when you first use them - they have to learn your internet usage habits, otherwise what good would they be?

Give it a day or two of reading all the messages the newly installed firewall pops up, and you can set it to silently deny all non-approved traffic. But you do have to go through the learning process first.
    Dive In...

I've had it on a lot longer than a few days. It always pops up.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Then it obviously hasn't been set to silently deny all non-approved traffic.
    Dive In...

Read your manual. Firewalls can be set to not notify you every time something arrives on your foor step.

As for 'avenging' people, forget it. More useless traffic on the net and it'll quite possibly get you into legal trouble.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by pmoduk2
    RDX1, it sounds annoying, worse than NIS and nearly as bad as Panda!!
    Well if you have your firewall do everything automatically then something is bound to slip through. After I tell is what to go out and not for all my programs it isn't too annoying. Oh well, when you get hacked because you're too lazy you'll want a manual one.

Mostly all of what I ever get is outgoing connections because I am behind a router and that protects me from a lot of incoming packets. I don't download anything stupid so I almost never have to choose to let something out unless it's a new program.
    Don't look for a way out.

well...

i closest your really going to get is to do a trace root

get a firewall that will log there IP

then go into command prompt and type

tracert IP ADDRESS

that should get you there ISP, so all there is to do is to report them

I use ZoneAlarm proffesional on my system. It logs IP etc and then If its bad enough or they are persistant I will report them. If its one thing and its not major then I dont bother.

It is great though lets you block anything you dont want accessing and has a lot of features. I would reccomend it to anyone

If you avenge someone you are opening yourself to a host of liability and legal issues, especially if that computer might be used by two people and you destroy information from someone that did nothing.
    Alvin

It wouldn't be me 'avenging' more the firewall giving them it back

NIS has a trace route and map on it, but they usually use Proxies.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right