Fake testimonials?! How many people do this?

I was browsing a hosting site, and was curious as to if their testimonials were original or something from their template, so I popped one into google. Amazingly, 2 hosts have the same testimonials, with different names as the posters :/ How many sites fake their customer reviews? Even steal them?!

Example......

Take a look at PenguinHost, their first entry.

https://www.penguinhost.net/feedback/

Now, look at the third entry on this hosts' page:

http://www.elephanthost.com/testimonials.htm

Word for word, other then the little blurb at the beginning. As you compare back and forth, you realize that many match, not just this one.

I must say, quite a wakeup call indeed....

Quite a bit of them do. You would be surprised how low some hosts go....
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Well who knows, maybe the penguin and the elephant were on the same Ark and came up with this testimonial together...

That's why I actually link to the site that the testimonial came from, not a fake name ;P
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Penguin
    Elephant

Is that host trying to put up businesses using animal names .. LOL .. Looking at it.. seems like the same guy

Wait a second. I cant for the life of me understand why these people would copy eachother's tesamonials??? Cant these people at least write their own? I mean here... They can have this one I wrote for them. I should email it to them:

Your service and support has been excellent! Thanks for helping me get my email accounts setup so quick. My site is now much faster than my old host!
    Mike Stevens - versio.net

Is it really that hard? Anyways, I dont use testamonials right now, but when I do I will at least be honest about it!

It's easy to find out there who is the real one and who is not. Elehost is legit. Look at the domain names that they provide with their testimonials, then run a whois and you'll see that they are actually hosted with that company.

As far as them being the same company, nope. The elephant is out of Nevada and uses Microsoft boxes. The penguin uses linux and is out of Ontario.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

One would actually be surprised at how many web hosts do actually have fake testimonials; it is very shocking, but there isn't anything stopping them from doing so.

Personally, I've never used fake testimonials as I don't see a point - if you're clients are not happy enough about your service to send you feedback, then you need to do something about it to make them happy enough.

For my company, I only show testimonials for certain services - and with each testimonial the person's web site is linked as well; showing who made the testimonial and the fact that it's real. It also gives prospective clients the chance to ask some questions to your current clients if they want to.

Exclamation Stolen Testimonials

I have to mark this as a sad day to discover another host has taken entries from our testimonials page to put on their own hosting site:

Our Testimonial Page:
    < was posted above >

Surely it is not hard to come up with a few good testimonials on your own if you run a good company and serve your customer

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 04-28-2004 at 10:27 AM.

They could be the same company. If so, they aren't doing anything so wrong.

Greetings:

Imagine how the people who are quoted as testimonals feel if they found out their words were being misued as such?

A few months back a company listed me as one of their customers, along with a testimonial.

They claimed it was a mistake made by their designer. Sigh.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

We are going to have a testimonials page and this includes a link to the site hosted. This way if the visitor wants they can just email the site owner and ask questions about the services if they need to.
    -- Matthew

13. Originally posted by Stormhosts
    We are going to have a testimonials page and this includes a link to the site hosted. This way if the visitor wants they can just email the site owner and ask questions about the services if they need to.
    That is what we did at Elephanthost.com

Sadly, this did not prevent someone from copying them.

I guess the responses must be really good for someone to take them and put them on their company's web site

I would think for any customer looking at testimonials and seeing a page without a few links to contact the clients who gave the review of the host should be asking serious questions about this host.

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 04-28-2004 at 10:22 AM.

How can we beware of such fake testimonials in future? they try to induce people into believeing them with designs and all..so how can one avoid them or run a background check?

thanks, Yaser.

elephanthost, your name is so cute.

16. Thanks

Originally posted by lobaloba9
    elephanthost, your name is so cute.
    Thanks lobaloba9

We modeled our company based on Elephants and do charity work on their behalf to help their cause.

Check out http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/ for a great program that helps orphaned elephants.

Cheers

any host not include full info of the testmonial (domain, date) is laier ..

>> any host not include full info of the testmonial (domain, date) is laier .. <<

Should actually be: Any web host that doesn't include full information in the testimonial (domain name, date, etc.) is a liar.

Apart from your bad English in that post, yes you are very right in what you say. Web hosts, usually, have many clients - meaning it shouldn't be too hard to find a testimonial; whether it be a positive or negative one.

It is pretty bad of web hosts to do what they do, however unfortunately no one can stop them. However, I notice that many web hosts whom actually do this are newer web hosts - in which case they don't have many clients, or even any, so they cannot ask for testimonials.

I personally would not post something that I didn't believe in. If I say xyz site is good, it's because i've used them and I feel they ARE good.

Look at pinguin host, 15MB space for 5.95, but 1 doller more and get 2,000mb, sorry but could we get a dedicated server for $9??

We use hostrating.com to manage our client reviews. Any client can post their review there with their name, domain etc.. and the star rating comes up on a logo on our website. Works pretty good and there is a host admin panel to display our packages.
    Dimensity Web Enterprises - ..::host.exception.dimension::..
    dimensity.net | dimensity.biz | dimensity.info | support[at]dimensity.net

Originally posted by johonbravo
    We use hostrating.com to manage our client reviews. Any client can post their review there with their name, domain etc.. and the star rating comes up on a logo on our website. Works pretty good and there is a host admin panel to display our packages.
    anyone trying to get to hostrating.com might want to put an s on the end (hostratings.com)