Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is total ********. Whatever happened to freedom of the press. All it was basically a political cartoon against Bush and the war. I personally do not support the war and anyone who stands in their way will ask the question "why?". I totally support this kid and he should not be punished for creativity.
    Kerry Jones

It's a freakin political cartoon. So now the US will arrest all political cartoonists who are not pro-Bush? What? US is now Communist China?

Originally posted by hycloud
    It's a freakin political cartoon. So now the US will arrest all political cartoonists who are not pro-Bush? What? US is now Communist China?
    Re-read the article! The school officials felt it was a death threat against the President. In this country, that is against the law. You can't THREATEN TO KILL SOMEONE. Sure, the school officials may have jumped the gun. But, they contacted the Police and showed them the drawings, and with President Bush's head on a stick, they felt it was a threat on his life. Therefore they contacted the Secret Service (as per law), and the rest is, as they say, history.

Nowhere does the article say he was arrested, it just says he was questioned.

Regards,
    Waylon

Originally posted by Velostream
    Re-read the article! The school officials felt it was a death threat against the President.
    Wow, kids these days must sure know how to pose a threat to the "president".

Originally posted by net-trend
    Wow, kids these days must sure know how to pose a threat to the "president".
    Well in a society that is ravaged by school shootings and terrorist activity across the globe, school officials don't waste time. If they even think something is a threat, they say something. May sound wrong, but it truly is better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
    Waylon

Originally posted by webmultitude
    What that kid did was completely out of line, but I don't think it's worth making a big fuss out of.

He's a 15 year old brainwashed pseudo intellectual emo art student. What do you expect?
    some harsh statements there... do you know the kid personally? if not, your words might make you look arrogant, violent and stupid...

it's been proven once more that the freedom of speech in the US is just an expression reserved for a virtual world and not a constitutional right, I guess Mike More will have to say something about this, too...

nevertheless, it's not the SS to blame (for the love of Mike that sounds just like Schutzstaffel...), their job is to investigate when informed of funky stuff, I think the teacher and the cops are just plain stupid...

Airnine

Not sure what this has to do with freedom of the press. Press if free to put out what they want but doesn't mean they can't be investigated if authorities are informed of something illegal or dangerous.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

Re-read the article! The school officials felt it was a death threat against the President. In this country, that is against the law. You can't THREATEN TO KILL SOMEONE. Sure, the school officials may have jumped the gun. But, they contacted the Police and showed them the drawings, and with President Bush's head on a stick, they felt it was a threat on his life. Therefore they contacted the Secret Service (as per law), and the rest is, as they say, history.

Nowhere does the article say he was arrested, it just says he was questioned.

Regards,
    Waylon

Pulled out of class to be question is arrested in my book. Reread the article, the kid did not THREATEN TO KILL SOMEONE. He drew a political cartoon of a muslim with Pres. Bush's head on his stick.

"The drawing that drew the most notice showed a man in what appeared to be Middle Eastern-style clothing, holding a rifle. He was also holding a stick with an oversize head of the president on it."

Communist USA. Political cartoons are going to be banned from now on?

Pulled out of class to be question is arrested in my book. Reread the article, the kid did not THREATEN TO KILL SOMEONE. He drew a political cartoon of a muslim with Pres. Bush's head on his stick.

"The drawing that drew the most notice showed a man in what appeared to be Middle Eastern-style clothing, holding a rifle. He was also holding a stick with an oversize head of the president on it."

Communist USA. Political cartoons are going to be banned from now on?
    Well your book obviously doesn't know US law. Detained for questioning is not being arrested. Look it up. From the article:

Secret Service agents interviewed the boy last Friday. The student, who was not arrested, has not been identified.
    Arrested means you are charged with a crime. The kid wasn't charged with a crime. I never said the kid THREATENED TO KILL SOMEONE. I was saying that, according to US law, it is illegal to THREATEN TO KILL SOMEONE.

Regards,
    Waylon

Definition of arrested:

2. To seize and hold under the authority of law.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrested

The kid was seize and hold under the authority of law. He was arrested in my book.

So you are saying I could or should be detained and question by the secret service for any political cartoon I've drawn even if it's not a threat?

I can see it now. Secret service visiting every political cartoonist who is anti-war or anti-bush. That's one of way "influencing" the public to be more pro-bush pro-war.
    Send the secret service in!

Definition of arrested:

2. To seize and hold under the authority of law.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrested

The kid was seize and hold under the authority of law. He was arrested in my book.

So you are saying I could or should be detained and question by the secret service for any political cartoon I've drawn even if it's not a threat?

I can see it now. Secret service visiting every political cartoonist who is anti-war or anti-bush. That's one of way "influencing" the public to be more pro-bush pro-war.
    Send the secret service in!
    Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I have not said anything about political cartoons, nor did I say you personally should be detained or arrested for any reason.

You seem to be convinced that the US is now communist and going after all political cartoonists. Your flaw with this specific case is the fact that this was not your normal political cartoon (i.e. ones published in newspapers, magazines, etc.). And there's also a problem with your logic, if you pick up any papers or magazines from the US you will see Pro-Bush cartoons as well as Anti-Bush cartoons.

Please, I say this with as much respect as possible, get down from your high horse and stop arguing just to argue.

EDIT: Typo.

Regards,
    Waylon

No, don't put words in my mouth. I never said they are going after all political cartoonists. I said they were going after all anti-war, anti-war political cartoonist.

Normal political cartoon? Just because it wasn't published in newspapers, magazines, etc. doesn't mean it shouldn't have the same rights as a "normal political cartoon". I'm sure most political cartoonist started doing political cartoons in Junior high school or high school. I did it myself. Should we stop junior high school students and high school students from doing political cartoons that are anti-war or anti-bush?

Should a student be detain and question by the secret service if he draws a political cartoon of president bush being eaten by a donkey? or one showing showing pres. bush being pushed out of a plane?

This is nuts.

Excuse me, I neglected to mention anti-war cartoonists on your part.

I never said it isn't entitled to the same rights. I'm not saying we should stop any artists from anything.

It's not a question of what the Secret Service should or shouldn't do. They were the third-party:

(I posted this above, but no one seems to want to read):

1. Teacher sees artwork and is concerned. Teacher shows Principal.

2. Principal sees artwork and is concerned. Principal contacts and shows the police.

3. The police see the artwork and feel it is a threat against the President. (BTW, you'd be surprised at the number of 15 year olds who have made threats to Presidents). Police notify Secret Service as per law.

4. Secret Service investigates. If they did not, they would be in violation of their duties.

This whole thing is being made out to be a huge deal, when really, it's not that big of a deal. As I said before, better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
    Waylon

Volestream, Got it.

I think the teacher and principal overreacted. I didn't think the secret service needed to investigate because it wasn't even a threat. I guess they treated as a threat. If I was the parent of the child, I would be really pissed at the school

Well that's just it, if you're going to be upset, it should be at the school for jumping the gun. And the SS have to treat everything that is reported to them as a valid threat until they can rule it out. Obviously in this case they did.

Nice little debate though, hycloud .

Regards,
    Waylon

Well in a society that is ravaged by school shootings and terrorist activity across the globe, school officials don't waste time. If they even think something is a threat, they say something. May sound wrong, but it truly is better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
    Waylon
    If your in handcuffs you've been arrested. What America needs to realize is something called COMMON SENSE. Do you think the boy would even have the intelligence to get near the president? No. Kids can be stupid, but the school overeacted. People just want an excuse to make people into terrorist. If I throw down a can does that make me an eviromental terrorist? NO!
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    If your in handcuffs you've been arrested. What America needs to realize is something called COMMON SENSE. Do you think the boy would even have the intelligence to get near the president? No. Kids can be stupid, but the school overeacted. People just want an excuse to make people into terrorist. If I throw down a can does that make me an eviromental terrorist? NO!
    I'd be careful....there are 15 years olds who possess a huge amount of intelligence for their age, and are very capable of committing such actions. With the wealth of knowledge readily available, kids these days are much smarter.

The kid in question wasn't handcuffed; therefore he wasn't arrested. Common sense or not, the school felt there was a threat. Their obligated by the law to report any such activity to the police, just like the police. Like I've said, if they feel it warrants a Secret Service visit, that's their job to do so.

Regards,
    Waylon

I'd be careful....there are 15 years olds who possess a huge amount of intelligence for their age, and are very capable of committing such actions. With the wealth of knowledge readily available, kids these days are much smarter.

The kid in question wasn't handcuffed; therefore he wasn't arrested. Common sense or not, the school felt there was a threat. Their obligated by the law to report any such activity to the police, just like the police. Like I've said, if they feel it warrants a Secret Service visit, that's their job to do so.

Regards,
    Waylon
    No, I can tell you how their princapl is because he sounds similar to the person that i've had to deal with. About 2 years ago I made a political flyer regarding the $10,000,000 debt my school happened to rake up in a short time. This made me very angry because the tax payers would have to make this. I made a flyer that said something along the lines of "What does Mr. Roberts and Castro have in common? They don't care for the people.". It was a simple statement. Well, I had just finished a test when one of the assistant princpals walked in. I dropped one of the folders that I had been passing out. She asked me if I was doing this and her reply was "don't think were stupid". Well, they took me into the office and there was 3 - 4 more princpals awaiting for me including Mr. Roberts. They had 2 princpals on the left of me, Mr. Roberts in the center, and Mrs Kennedy on the right side of me. When the door shut he started yelling me blah blah blah your a disgrace to Haltom blah blah. How about I send you to REACH(Drug Rehab) for a year or an Alt school. They were asking me questions of who the other forummers were on http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/forum2 and just a whole bunch of crap. He wanted all 10 flyers to be found. If it was me I would of asked how to solve the problem not yell. It seems to be his only response when he is threatened by a few words because I wanted to help my school. They still have no learned their lesson. They cut back drastically on all departments and they just spent $50,000 on a security camera system that was not needed. No violent acts have been committed besides fights which is typical in every school.
    Kerry Jones

Oh my, it's just a drawing. He's just expressing himself and his views.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    No. Kids can be stupid, but the school overeacted.
    They did in a major way. I am beginning to think this is a publicity stunt.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12