Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry serverplace.net: good and bad

Good: Fast sign up, immediate account creation. Nice, fast servers. No complaints there.

Bad: Support. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, SP is a 0 in my book. I was in a live chat with one of their "support workers" for 23 minutes without any usefull results.

** You are now speaking with ServerPlace.NET, Support. **
    ServerPlace.NET : Hello! Welcome to serverplace.net support. How may
    I help you?
    skreid0 : hello
    skreid0 : i am having a problem with php includes
    skreid0 : when i try to include anything within my files
    skreid0 : i get a not found or internal error
    ServerPlace.NET : what is the error message sir
    skreid0 : it can be seen here: <LINK REMOVED>
    ServerPlace.NET : is the include path in your correct sir?
    skreid0 : yes. the code used is include('forums/ssi.php?a=news')
    skreid0 : which, if in a link in the browser, works
    ServerPlace.NET : ok sir, can you open a ticket quoting your problem.

skreid0 : i tried opening a ticket earlier but there appears to be an
    error with the system
    ServerPlace.NET : i will refer it to our team of experts
    ServerPlace.NET : try it once more sir. Our experts will look into
    the matter and get back to you ASAP.
    skreid0 : i had tried it a few times, but i still got the same error
    <FOUR OR FIVE MINUTES LATER>
    skreid0 : hello?
    ServerPlace.NET : yes sir
    ServerPlace.NET : have you opened a ticket?
    ServerPlace.NET : sir you have opened two tickets.
    ServerPlace.NET : you may close one of them
    skreid0 : i havent the slightest idea how to even look at one of
    them
    ServerPlace.NET : i'll forward the problem to our team of experts
    ServerPlace.NET : sir then let me close one ticket for you and
    forward the other
    ServerPlace.NET : sir does your public_html folder contains a folder
    forums
    ServerPlace.NET : make sure it's the exaxt spelling in the source
    code.
    skreid0 : yes
    ServerPlace.NET : because it's case sensitive
    skreid0 : everything is correct
    skreid0 : ive tried including offsite files, and they work. but
    anytime i try any file of mine, i get an error
    ServerPlace.NET : offline files are not case sensitive
    skreid0 : i havent tried to include an offiste file...
    skreid0 : er
    skreid0 : offline
    ServerPlace.NET : when you upload, the server treats ssi.php and
    ssi.PHP as different files
    skreid0 : i have included the same file from a different website, and
    it worked fine. but EVERY time i try to include ANY file within my
    own, i get the error
    ServerPlace.NET : ok sir, i will refer it to our experts and close
    the duplicated ticket
    ServerPlace.NET : any more queries sir?
    skreid0 : any eta on when this problem will be looked at?
    ServerPlace.NET : they will get back to you as soon as possible sir
    For one thing, being called "sir" in every response is EXTREMELY annoying. Second, he told me repetidly that he would "forward my request to the team of experts". Isn't a support worker supposed to help a client fix a problem? Also, like I said earlier, their support ticket system was having problems. I tried multiple times to open one, but I continued to get an error (when it finally DID work, I accidently hit f5 and it resubmitted).

I also tried their support forums, which don't have much help either, along with there "knowledge base".

More then 40 minutes of trying to solve a simple problem, with absolutely no good outcome.

hah.
    9 Sir`s. It does get annoying after the first 2 or 3.

Indeed I don't think I could stand being called Sir to many times. Might get a tad upsetting :-)

On the topic of the issue you were having however, was this a shared hosting account or a dedicated server?

It is a shared hosting account.

Edit: oh, and I still haven't gotten a response
    Last edited by skreid; 04-27-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Ah, alright, things make more sense now.

Out of curiosity, what sort of include function were you using and what was the response you were getting? (I think perhaps my curiosity has gotten the best of me)

What I am using is this:

<?php include('forums/ssi.php?a=news') ?>

However, anyfile I try to include that are in any directory anywhere on my list are "not found". But, any offsite ssi.php file I try works.

Sounds like they don't have '.' in their include path. I bet if you give the absolute path of the file it'll work for you.

I tried that aswell, but I got the same not found error.

Oh.. Try this...

Make a new PHP file containing the following..

<?

execute("pwd");

?>

And make sure the full path you specify is the same as that. Some control panel software (ie: Ensim) make specifying the full path to a file a little bit of a chore.

Otherwise, yeah, it'll likely be something that needs to be configured by the people who handle their servers.

Sorry, replace "execute" with "exec"

That showed a blank page.

Sorry, where is my head today.

Correct syntax is as follows.

<?PHP

echo exec("pwd");

?>

I noticed that was missing just after I posted that.

But, I still get the same "not found" error even with including like that.

That's weird, especially if you give the full path. Could be some weird configuration they have.

At any rate, it appears you'll need to wait to see if they respond back. I wish you best of luck.

I re-entered their live chat. And, no, they don't have a support team, like they say. They have a support, PERSON. The timer is nearing 15 minutes, and I still haven't recieved a decent answer. I am beginning to think this person knows nothing about hosting. =\

I'd hate to double post, but I thought I'd update everyone.

Here's what happened. I re-entered the chat, as I stated in the previous post. After 15 minutes, I got frustrated, again.

ServerPlace.NET : Hello! Welcome to serverplace.net support. How may I help you?
    skreid0 : hello. i was in here earlier, and submitted a ticket. i dont mean to sound impatient, but i really need this problem solved, as it is inhibiting the production of my site
    skreid0 : the php include gives me an error when trying to include any file within my database
    ServerPlace.NET : sir the matteris under the consideration of th experts team. i've forwarded the ticket.
    ServerPlace.NET : i'll follow up sir
    skreid0 : like i said, i dont mean to sound impatient. but this is really inhibiting me.
    skreid0 : i have tried multiple ways of doing it, including a full path, just/forums, http://, and neither has worked. maybe a configuration error?
    ServerPlace.NET : ok sir, please hold on
    ServerPlace.NET : configuration error from our part?
    skreid0 : yes
    ServerPlace.NET : ok sir i'll check it
    Your party has left this session.
    That's right, the support guy left the room with me waiting there. Time waisted: 13 minutes, 42 seconds.

Now, I re-enter the chat:

skreid0 : is anyone here? at all?
    ServerPlace.NET : i'm checking it up with the senior guys sir
    skreid0 : ok
    ServerPlace.NET : i will post a reply to your ticket when i am done
    skreid0 : ok
    skreid0 : if you dont mind my asking, by done, do you mean... "checking it up with the senior guys"?
    ServerPlace.NET : yes sir
    skreid0 : again, i dont mean to sound impatient, but this has gone on for nearly a half an hour. any update?
    ServerPlace.NET : no sir
    skreid0 : any idea on when it will be solved?
    ServerPlace.NET : the senior team will get back to you ASAP
    skreid0 : i dont want to be rude, but, asap? i originally asked this question nearly 4 hours ago.
    ServerPlace.NET : sorry for the inconvenience sir
    skreid0 : could you tell me if this will be solved any time soon? it is near 11pm, and i dont plan on waiting much longer
    skreid0 : tell me, if i call the phone number on sp.com's main page, will i be talking to you, or some kind of owner?
    skreid0 : sir, this "senior staff", has supposidly been working on my small problem for a few hours. i have not recieved a response from you for nearly 10 minutes. am i to assume i am never going to have this problem solved,sir?
    ServerPlace.NET : no sir
    ServerPlace.NET : you'll get it solved sir
    This is where he decides to not answer me. I think it was almost 20 minutes before he would talk again, but you'll see why:

skreid0 : i am very sure that it will, but any time soon? like i said, i first inquired about this problem nearly four hours ago. if you have been telling me the truth, the "senior guys" have been working since then to solve my simple problem. is this true?
    skreid0 : also, could you please answer the question about the phone number? if i call it, will i get some kind of company owner, or another support person?
    skreid0 : i am noticing a lack of question-answering in the past hour
    skreid0 : oh, sir, i know, lets play a game.
    skreid0 : its called "see how long i will wait before i request a refund and switch hosts"
    skreid0 : interested?
    ServerPlace.NET : hi
    So now he wants to talk

skreid0 : i'll say... 6 minutes. then i would have been here for 1.5 hours total
    ServerPlace.NET : old please
    ServerPlace.NET : please hold
    skreid0 : thats more then 30 dollars i could have earned if i had been working
    skreid0 : that is just an estimate, mind you
    skreid0 : better hurry and give a bet! only 3 minutes left!
    Now I get right to business:

ServerPlace.NET : this is best i can do about it, Sir.
    skreid0 : im sorry, but i dont think 4 hours is the best anyone could do.
    ServerPlace.NET : please give more time on it.
    ServerPlace.NET : Sir please understand we try our best to give support to our clients.
    skreid0 : as i have mentioned on multiple occasions, i have waited more then four hours. you told me the problem was submitted to the "senior guys". was it or was it not? now you say you are working on it? so tell me, who is really working on it?
    So, now someone else is brought into the whole thing:

ServerPlace.NET : This is a script error in php, which a php person has to look into it.
    skreid0 : better hurry, only a minute left. oh, and i would like to know why i suddenly recieved a response from you after i threatened to cancel?
    skreid0 : im sorry, but more then four hours of the "senior guys" working on it is farfetched. the timer has gone a total of 1.5 hours. thats 1.5 hours of me hearing lies from you. i am sorry, but i am cancelling my account and requesting a refund. you guys did good, up until the support.
    I then cancelled my account, and requested the money back ("30 day guarantee" on their front page).

NOTE TO EVERYONE:::::: Under NO circumstances use serverplace.net as your webhost. Support, which is all one person, is absolutely horrible. I hope everyone found this topic useful!

Well the first thing i would of done is told that support worker to stop using the word sir, he sounds like a robot.

Yeah 4+ hours of waiting on a question like that is nonsense. But i would of left it over night. I mean closing hosts over a small problem like that? i would of slept on it. If the issue was still being looked at by the "senior guys" in the morning then i would swich.

Every host has problems, but not telling the truth is what would of made me swich.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

Well, considering he completely lied to me about the problem being checked by the "senior guys", I got a really bad impression. Any host that lies to me doesn't deserve a cent of my money, and I am not going to waste it on them.

Well the first thing i would of done is told that support worker to stop using the word sir, he sounds like a robot.
    I actually did But I lost that part during one of the conversations, I accidentally closed the window

Honestly, I would rather a company call me sir. It shows a certain respect. I would let this issue resolve overnight.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation skreid. I wish you the best of luck with your next move.

For now I must be off however, I must entertain the little one with a some gameplay of 'School Tycoon.'

Sir does show a certain level of respect toward a person. If he was using the word sir over and over again, that means they are mad that your mad, and are sad you feel the way you do.

Normally I would agree, cybex, but not when most of what he said was a lie. Anyway, it's 12pm, and I need to be up in 6 hours for classes. Everyone have a good night.

That is our level 1 support ( for basic support request). I personally answered one of your tickets asking if you could explain this in more detail, but I have yet to recieve a response from you. As they even told you, Level 2 support should be answering your ticket soon.
    Last edited by ServerPlace4NET; 04-28-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    - Providing premium web hosting solutions since 2003
    |Managed Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting | Web Design | Server Management |

Originally posted by skreid
    I'd hate to double post, but I thought I'd update everyone.

Here's what happened. I re-entered the chat, as I stated in the previous post. After 15 minutes, I got frustrated, again.

That's right, the support guy left the room with me waiting there. Time waisted: 13 minutes, 42 seconds.

Now, I re-enter the chat:

This is where he decides to not answer me. I think it was almost 20 minutes before he would talk again, but you'll see why:

So now he wants to talk

Now I get right to business:

So, now someone else is brought into the whole thing:

I then cancelled my account, and requested the money back ("30 day guarantee" on their front page).

NOTE TO EVERYONE:::::: Under NO circumstances use serverplace.net as your webhost. Support, which is all one person, is absolutely horrible. I hope everyone found this topic useful!

So because it took over 4 hours to get your issue fixed, you are telling others to stay away from serverplace.net?

That is totally insane. Our support is not ran by "1 person", as you probley know by your tickets.

Here is how our support staff works.

Level 1 support- Basic support questions such as "how do I access ftp?", and basic cpanel questions etc.
    (level 1 support also does our live chat)

Level 2 Support: All of the other questions/inquiries users have.

Level 3 Support: Dedicated server help/admin work.

level 2 Support left at 6:00PM for a period of 8 hours, in which a family emergency came up. We can also be reached by our (888) SPHOSTING number 24 hours a day. A refund was given to your account, along with this month free.
    Last edited by ServerPlace4NET; 04-28-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Sometimes lower level support doesn't have access to the machine, root access. So they have to wait for a system admin to handle the problem. I think you should have stuck it out. A lot of companies you would be lucky to even get a response within 4 hours.

I don't care how your "company"'s support system is setup. I cancelled my account and warned people away because all you did was lied. There wasn't one thing you said in that entire conversation that was remotely truthful. How do I know you wont do that again? I don't. That is why I switched to a more reliable host, who I KNOW isn't going to lie directly to my face.

I don't care how your "company"'s support system is setup. I cancelled my account and warned people away because all you did was lied. There wasn't one thing you said in that entire conversation that was remotely truthful. How do I know you wont do that again? I don't. That is why I switched to a more reliable host, who I KNOW isn't going to lie directly to my face.
    Lie to your face?? what are you talking about? As others have said, you would be lucky to even receive a response within 4 hours from other companies. This has to be one of the worst threads I have seen on wht, and I am sure that other webhosting companies can back me up on everything I am saying. We offer true 24/7 tech support, and your $5.95 is not worth the stress in which you are causing. That is the main problem with people these days, they pay $5 and think they are the king of the world.

Originally posted by serverplace
    That is the main problem with people these days, they pay $5 and think they are the king of the world.
    That is true......

Lie to your face?? what are you talking about?
    Yes, lie to my face. You first said that it the problem was being looked into. Then, at the end of the day, absolutely nothing had changed. You NEVER said there was no one there to see what was wrong. You L-I-E-D.

To me, the maddening thing that we should all just agree on is that the "distance" between the question and the answer is too great.

The Internet is such a fantastic communications enabler, yet the 10? 20? more? people who know the answer to the question, aren't reachable. There's almost no way this one person is the first to try such a thing on that particular hosts' system. Unless that company is very small customerbase or has no one doing php) It's quite possible this same question has even come into the support people before, been resolved and ...

...It didn't come to that level 1 person, so he/she doesn't know.
    ...It was long ago and they don't remember
    ...It was not captured so it was forgotten.

I've never seen it done, but would it be so terrible if ALL live chat support conversations were posted on the webhosts website?
    At least available for some minimal keyword searches.

Would it be so terrible if ALL trouble tickets where available for customers to review and of course with the eventual answers?

Do you webhosters understand how much (or agree?) that would help us help ourselves?

You have to agree that an educated customerbase is a better (happier, more empowered, more self-sufficient, more productive, more profitable?) one? right? So maybe just having some links to "popular whatever sites" to go learn on your own isn't "enough".

I liken the "state of the art" of support that I've seen to a teacher in front of the class whispering the answer to the student's question .. only to the student who asked !!

I know what I suggest is not perfect either. There is no magic wand or silver bullet, of course. Some answers will change over time because of configurations, software upgrades, etc. But at least, worst case, it would be something the customer could cruise while the ticket is in the queue. And think how many tickets it would prevent.

or not?

Dan
    Last edited by DanPhx; 04-28-2004 at 10:06 PM.
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

level 1 support was looking into it, but they referred the problem to level 2 support. Level 1 support even solved your problem. Here is exactly what the ticket said:

tyler dierks

Posted on 27 Apr 2004 05:26:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am having a problem. http://www.pstutorials.org/test1.php For some reason, nothing on my server can be found by a php include.

Email: HIDDEN IP: HIDDEN

Support Team 1

Posted on 27 Apr 2004 05:43:53 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sir,
    Your problem is referred to our level 2 support. They will look into the matter and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Support Team 1

Email: team at serverplace.net IP: HIDDEN

Support Team 1

Posted on 27 Apr 2004 11:31:25 PM

Sir,
    We are extremely sorry for the delay in support and the inconvenience caused to you. The other domains in the server had no problem with include files. So the error was on your side. The problem may be the variable you passed along with the included PHP file. You may remove the variable name from the include statement. Please try the code below

$a="news";
    include("/forums/ssi.php");
    ?>

Warm Regards,

Support Team 1

Email: team at serverplace.net IP: HIDDEN
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were never "lied to", as they said you were referred to level 2 support. I am not going to sit here and argue like two 1st graders, but everyone here can see exactly what happen. First of all, as I have said time and time 90% of webhost do not support php coding problems.Good luck with your new host, as this is all the advice I can give you.
    Last edited by ServerPlace4NET; 04-28-2004 at 10:06 PM.

The only time I got any useful answer from you was after I threatened to cancel my account.

as I said, That is our support staff so don't refer it to "you", as I did not help you with your problem. I have said this over and over, but $5.95 is not worth the stress at which small problems like this can cause. good luck with your new host.

Originally posted by serverplace
    ...We offer true 24/7 tech support, and your $5.95 is not worth the stress in which you are causing. That is the main problem with people these days, they pay $5 and think they are the king of the world.
    Woah buddy that's totally unprofessional! I understand that you are upset but that kind of remark is a really big no no.
    Sam

Originally posted by Shroom
    Woah buddy that's totally unprofessional! I understand that you are upset but that kind of remark is a really big no no.
    I understand what you are saying, but there is no need for the comments which he made as well. And this is something that I in my book will not tolerate anymore. Everyone has different views when it comes to things like these. I know a lot of host will agree with the statement that I made, and I will stand behind that 100%.

$5.95 is not worth the stress of almost 10 hours

$5.95 is not worth the stress of almost 10 hours
    Well, maybe you shouldn't have been lying.

Well, maybe you shouldn't have been lying.
    as I have said before, we did not lie to you. our staff was looking into it, while level 2 was away. If this can't meet your standards, then moving host was probley your best move. You have even said our servers and everything were great, but you have had problems with support. 4 hours and not being able to solve a problem, is a little to short in my book. but as everyone has said, you have your own standards that you are looking for in a webhost.

and why are theese people responsible for your php coding issues???

Originally posted by keepr
    exactly, just my point.

It wasn't MY problem. NOTHING within any of my files would include. But, as you may have noticed from everything I posted, I was able to include from any offsite file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast