Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OMG!!!

the nerve!!

I just got this in my email - apparently their billing program is working - I had not received a bill since last year either!!

From: "Sales - UnitedHosting.co.uk" <sales@unitedhosting.co.uk> Save Address
    To: <gryffyn@ev1.net>
    Subject: Renewal Of Hosting Account
    Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:37:50 +0100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Customer,

It has come to out attention following an audit that your hosting account
    was due for renewal on: 29th March 2004.

Please click on the link below to make payment for another year's hosting.

Value: $96

https://auth.paysystems.com/cgi-v310...r_accepted.php

If you do not wish to renew your account, please let us know. If we do not
    hear from within 5 workin days, then we will assume that the account is no
    longer required and it will be removed from our servers.

Regards

Billing Team

WTF?

Hey Matt - if you ever make it to this thread - fix my stuff and I *will* renew!!

<Mod note: edited url to wrap nicely>
    Last edited by thedavid; 04-28-2004 at 02:53 PM.

Well, if they have time to audit your account... you'd think they would have time to fix your problems. Interesting priorities.

For me, the bottom line remains: they shifted servers for their own advantage. They took that decision, no-one else. I don't see why customers should suffer for it.... so yes, they certainly deserve to lose some of them. If I was expanding my business, I'd make darned sure that those who depended upon me didn't suffer as a consequence.

I've read enough on here to know that we won't be opening an account there.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

what problems

What specific problems are you experiencing? Is it e-mail or reliability issues? When we are having hosting problems, it's mostly e-mail related.

I have to admit, I find some of the preceding comments to very disappointing. To claim that United Hosting "deserve" to lose customers is very poor taste.

I also shouldn't expect Matt or Simon to treat WHT as a support forum - their own is working fine here:

http://www.unitedforums.co.uk/vb/

Their ticketing service also appears to be up and running:

http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk/ticket.php

I may have had some complaints about the support at UH, but it still exists, and you should almost certainly get a reply from them for any tickets submitted.

Originally posted by JenniH
    Well, if they have time to audit your account... you'd think they would have time to fix your problems. Interesting priorities.
    One would think !

I emailed Sales back and asked how to go about renewing for only one or two months (they had sent an annual bill). They asked what problems I am having - so I copy/pasted previous correspondence and sent to them. That was almost 2 hours ago.

Response - nothing...still cannot access my webmail; still can't access my domain via ftp; still can't view on my browser....

[sigh]

I've Had It - United Hosting *blows*

It started innocuously yesterday morning (April 27) when I was unable to send an email in Outlook from my domain hosted on United. Since I was late for work, I blew it off until later figuring perhaps the server was down temporarily. Oh...how I wish.

Then yesterday afternoon I was getting ready to upload some new pictures into my Gallery photo album. When I went to the album URL, I noticed scripting at the top of the page - something had gone amuk while I was out of town and offline for almost 2 weeks. So I logged into WS-FTP to chmod the files and then re-ran Gallery's configuration wizard from the browser. I also always have the Squirrelmail for my domain up in another browser window all day while at work.

After I got finished running the Gallery config-wiz, I chmod'ed the files back to safe mode. This whole time WS-FTP was running *really* slow - normally it's lightning fast.

Next thing I know - I cannot view anything from my domain on my browser. I thought perhaps that th server had just gone down (seems to be doing a LOT of that lately). So I waited....and waited...and waited. I then filled out a support ticket at United's website and got a quick reply.

:
    >>I have just checked and you site is online. I also ran a test on ftp and
    >mail for the site and they both respond correctly. What problems are you
    >having?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Support Team
    I wrote back and asked why I still could not access anything, even after clearing my cache. Next reply was
    What is your internet connections IP address? It may be you have blocked by our firewall.
    Next reply he basically said the firewall blocked me because of suspected dos attack? I don't even know what that is and had to google it. I work at a university where the IR department keeps it in tip-top shape here. There's no dos attack!

I figure that I will be able to get the work done on my website once I get home. NOT!! I try to download my email - everything but the domain hosted by United comes through. I get the error message \"Task \'BC Server - Sending
    and Receiving\' reported error (0x800CCC0F): \'The connection to
    the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact
    your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).\'

I go to United's website and create a support ticket.

So I decide to log in via WS-FTP to try and chmod those files so I can work in Gallery. I can't get in!! I get the following error in the log:
    connecting to 67.15.32.5:21
    Connected to 67.15.32.5 port 21
    ! Receive error: connection reset

! Connection failed www.borzoi.cc
    Off to create another support ticket

I get a response telling me again that I am still blocked by the firewall - I respond saying that I am no longer on that computer and that I am at home at a different IP address. I sent him the IP info for my home computer and for work. OK - "we'll look into it"

Since then - NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL!

I have received no response on anything. I got back to work this morning and still cannot even view my website. I cannot access it via FTP so that I can download everything - I am now afraid that they will just delete my site without notice.

OH - THEY DID DO ONE THING - THEY SENT ME A FRIGGIN' BILL FOR AN ANNUAL RENEWAL!!!!

When I responded to that email asking how I could pay for 1-2 months instead of annual, and why I was doing it (poor support as of late) - they asked me for details. Response - NOTHING. They haven't even told me how I can pay for 1-2 months!!

Not that this is of much help to you, but the blocking of the University IP due to DoS is possible/semi-reasonable. Most DoS attacks used spoofed IPs (they claim to be coming from an IP they are not actually coming from) and so a DoS could have been detected as coming from that PC when it wasn't, so the IP got blocked.

As for the rest of the problems... well.. that blows, sorry to hear it.
    http://www.bash-shell.net - webhosting geared towards personal websites and small businesses.
    http://domains.bash-shell.net

Originally posted by retri
    Not that this is of much help to you, but the blocking of the University IP due to DoS is possible/semi-reasonable. Most DoS attacks used spoofed IPs (they claim to be coming from an IP they are not actually coming from) and so a DoS could have been detected as coming from that PC when it wasn't, so the IP got blocked.

As for the rest of the problems... well.. that blows, sorry to hear it.
    Spoof or whatever - I am locked out of my site here and not receiving any response (other than a bill) from UH. Right now all I want to do is be able to get in via FTP and download everything (especially all the scripts!) for a future move, as it looks like they don't really want my biz.

BTW - they were almost a month late in sending me this bill - so if the problem is that they didn't get payment from me (I have several domains I handle, so I do rely on notices for payment) - then all they had to do was let me know. But at this point - I don't want to have to pay for a whole year - just for 2 months so I can get my stuff.

Merged. Doesn't need to be multiple threads about 1 users issue with 1 host. Please try to keep it all in this thread.

Originally posted by gryffyn
    Spoof or whatever - I am locked out of my site here and not receiving any response (other than a bill) from UH. Right now all I want to do is be able to get in via FTP and download everything (especially all the scripts!) for a future move, as it looks like they don't really want my biz.

BTW - they were almost a month late in sending me this bill - so if the problem is that they didn't get payment from me (I have several domains I handle, so I do rely on notices for payment) - then all they had to do was let me know. But at this point - I don't want to have to pay for a whole year - just for 2 months so I can get my stuff.
    I am afraid we have been responding to your 2 tickets today (I know because I actually dealt with them). If you would like to emall me personally and I will do my best to help you.

simon@unitedhosting.co.uk
    Simon Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    Shared | Reseller | Managed Dedicated
    www.unitedhosting.co.uk | www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by I, Brian
    I have to admit, I find some of the preceding comments to very disappointing. To claim that United Hosting "deserve" to lose customers is very poor taste.

I also shouldn't expect Matt or Simon to treat WHT as a support forum - their own is working fine here:

http://www.unitedforums.co.uk/vb/

Their ticketing service also appears to be up and running:

http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk/ticket.php

I may have had some complaints about the support at UH, but it still exists, and you should almost certainly get a reply from them for any tickets submitted.
    Exactly Brian, we are not going to start diagnosing this persons problem on WHT. We have our own support forums plus an open support ticket from the customer to which we await a response. The server migrations were always going to be painful and were bound to cause some inconvenience for customers.
    Simon Wallis

I have been a customer of UH for the last year or so. Service has been great for the most part.

I do feel that this server move could of been handled better then it was, I experienced down-time with my domains for longer then I should of been and wasn't really kept up to date with everything that was happening.

I am still a very happy customer and things seem to of been resolved now.

Hopefully after this experience future moves will go better..

30 servers....Erk :/

Here's me getting wound up about moving half a dozen ! Good luck Matt and Simon
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Originally posted by [inx]Olly
    30 servers....Erk :/

Here's me getting wound up about moving half a dozen ! Good luck Matt and Simon
    Yes, it's been a lot of fun... not. We're almost at the end of the migration so then we can just let everything settle down and let the service get back to what we feel is a high standard (with all customers on nice shiny Dell Poweredge Dual Xeons)
    Simon Wallis

>> The server migrations were always going to be painful and were bound to cause some inconvenience for customers. <<

Which is the point I commented upon. By 'inconvenience' you mean downtime and other problems of course.. rather more than mere 'inconvenience' I would suggest.

Another point worth making is that the guy only appeared on here because he didn't get a timely response from you guys. Hardly unreasonable I would suggest.

The point I pressed was that customers suffered as a result of your decision to move your servers, presumably to ensure greater profitability for you in the future. That's what stuck in my throat when I read the thread. I've seen this sort of thing too many times before.

In my opinion, if a host is going to make major changes like this, it ought to be planned so very carefully, and if necessarily, expensively, to ensure that the victim doesn't end up being the customer, who of course usually didn't want the move in the first place.

There's no excuses for it I'm afraid. But to then be critrical of him for daring to complain about it... not exactly helpful!
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

United Hosting has their servers at EV1Servers. EV1 is known as a rock solid datacenter. Their move wasn't out of that DC, it was a move within the datacenter to their own private racks and they're not cheap. I don't know how many servers that UH has, but I'm sure that it does make sense financially in the long run. However, it also gives them more control over their servers and more flexibility than some others in terms of what they are able to offer.

The thread starter certainly does have every right to complain. That shouldn't be disputed. However. the move to private racks isn't purely motivated by profit. If United Hosting does it right, then in the long term their customers will benefit.

Migrating anything Ensim is not a simple task from the server admins side, though it has gotten extremely user friendly for the end users. Ensim can be fickle for those running the boxes behind the scenes and you really have to know your stuff to be able to admin an Ensim box properly. Even when you are a guru, things can still pop up. United Hosting has to have a decent and readily available cash flow to have been able to get the rack in the first place. I'm sure they're able to sink in the dollars to get this fixed as well if they got in over their heads. I'm not as familiar with Simon, but I know that Matt is pretty good with Ensim.

As far as if it all works out in the end, we'll all just have to wait and see.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Originally posted by Coach
    . . . I don't know how many servers that UH has, but I'm sure that it does make sense financially in the long run. However, it also gives them more control over their servers and more flexibility than some others in terms of what they are able to offer.
    Yep, it's definently the way to go for any serious host moving up through the ranks. HTTPme made that jump about a year back and it was a great step forward that allows for some nice enonomies of scale to kick in.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Thumbs up RESOLVED

Now that I have recovered from my panic attack and worked from both computers at my 2 locations, I am happy to report that United has resolved this situation at this time.

I was flabbergasted that it had taken so long - because their service in the past has been tops - and what they offer for the $ is outstanding. So the combination of returning home after an extended trip to find a portion of my website no longer working correctly (Gallery) and then being unable to fix it or post updates and news - and then not even being able to take care of my email - it all added up for me.

I look forward to the completion of the server move and future good service from United.

I was flabbergasted that it had taken so long - because their service in the past has been tops
    Hi gryffyn,

I was only just shown this thread and im sorry that your problem took so long to resolve.

Right now our support response times are very slow when compared with our usual standard. (this is something we do recognise). This is due to moving nearly 7000 websites to new hardware, new operating system and new control panels in new private racks.

The job is huge and it means Simon, Ryan and myself are working around the clock. We hope to have things completed by the end of this weekend and then you will see our standards go back to normal.

Most of the things posted to this thread, and your views, are absolutely correct - we recognise the delay in responses and will have this all fixed right after this weekend when we will be operating 100% from our new hardware and reviewing any support issues which may not have been dealt with in the correct way.

We look forward to offering you our usual service way into the future.
    Matt Wallis
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yep, it's definently the way to go for any serious host moving up through the ranks. HTTPme made that jump about a year back and it was a great step forward that allows for some nice enonomies of scale to kick in.
    you should have thought about colocation from the begining to save the headaches...just a thought
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

It's good to hear that the problem has been taken care of gryffyn. Nice final post!

Originally posted by inteltechs
    you should have thought about colocation from the begining to save the headaches...just a thought
    Nah, it's something I wanted to work myself up into. It's a continual progression, and not something that most hosts feel comfortable with jumping straight into. Still plenty of headaches in colo, don't you worry about that!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

support page

Originally posted by gryffyn
    What's doubly frustrating is that the support ticket page will not even work anymore
    If your using a link to this page that you have created or typing address directly into the browser without going via thier own links you may have problems. Thier support page gave me this exact problem.

To be honest I wasn't going to disclose this to them because after trying to resolve the problem with them, with much correspondence, they could not do me the courtesy of saying they could not help further.

I hate to say it but this industry is paranoid about admitting that it does not have a solution. Because I am in Bangkok they rested the blame directly on the shoulders of Asian ISP's and then stopped responding to my requests for help.

Originally posted by UH-Simon
    I am afraid we have been responding to your 2 tickets today (I know because I actually dealt with them). If you would like to emall me personally and I will do my best to help you.

simon@unitedhosting.co.uk
    Yeah right! You have no doubt responded to my support ticket as well.

Lets be clear this is not the only customer of UH who is getting told there has been a response, when the customers own evidence says otherwise, nor is he the only one who is receiving poor service.

My ticket confirmation regarding email not reaching my box and not being delivered was UK Time 13:44 on the 28th as yet unresolved and only one comment since at 23:00 same day the entire dialogue saying "Please re-test". I have responded twice to that. Its now about 07:15 UK time on the 30th. I will be starting a new thread around 10:00

My ticket confirmation regarding email not reaching my box and not being delivered was UK Time 13:44 on the 28th as yet unresolved and only one comment since at 23:00 same day the entire dialogue saying "Please re-test". I have responded twice to that. Its now about 07:15 UK time on the 30th. I will be starting a new thread around 10:00
    Rather than "start a new thread" how about you contact us and discuss your existing issue/ticket. We are here and working and all it will take is an email. You can even send it to my personal mailbox : matt@unitedhosting.co.uk
    Matt Wallis
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast