View Poll Results: Would you choose the BIG company or the small guy?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Company

7 25.93%
  • Small Guy

20 74.07%

Lightbulb The BIG vs. The small

Ok, I was just sitting here and began to wonder what the majority of you would choose:

1. The big company offering true 24/7 access, etc.

2. The small guy guaranteeing to return your call within 2 hours and giving you 1:1 attention on all problems?

Jeff

The small guy, theres always love in the conversation compared to the big companys 'bots'

Bring tha love.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

My personal thoughts as well Phil.

Big Companies make my face go like this ---> &

Small company all the way, more personal, more direct, and majority of the time, the small company actually cares.

To be honest I would chose the big company everytime, big companies need not always be associated with bad service.
    Also, there is less chance of them shutting up shop, more chance that if your needs grow they will be able to cater to them.

Great point hostjet.

i need love though,

Yes, but those big fishies were once lil' fishies. And those lil' fishies didn't become big fishies without customers.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

size does not matter

I don't think the size should do much with it. I would be more focused on how quickly we can get problems resolved. How well we can communicate with the hosting company. I have worked with fairly large hosting companies with toll free numbers and everything, and we had nothing but problems. Now, we are with a much smaller company and it has been more reliable. So far et least :-)

I like smaller companies because they give more attention (the serious ones at least) to you and you get more connected to them. The problem is when a small company grows to fast and loose touch with their customers and cant really compensate their dimnishing support...

depends, what's your definition of small/big. We are big compared to probably 98% other webhosts in WHT, but considerably small if compared to the remainding 2%.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

I would definitely go with a big/well known provider when doing mission critical projects. However, for people who are just playing around or making a hobby site, like I did for a couple of years, I say small.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

I don't judge by size of the company but by the level of support and attention I will recieve along with price.

I can't vote... I don't care about size as long as I get "good vibes" about a company.

Smaller companies most definently due to the one on one attention. However, larger companies can do just as well in the support field as long as they are not under-staffed.
    VisitorZoom - Boost your website traffic

The Small Guy that has been around at least a year or two.

In no way am I bashing the huge webhosts, but sometimes their prices can be a little higher than the small guy, and you usually get better service.

In my professional and private life, I prefer doing business with smaller compaines, because I feel that they value you being a customer, and don't see you as "just another number".
    And if a problem were to ever arise, the smaller company usually works faster and harder to get the problem fixed.

That's just my $0.02
    BC Morgue Gaming Community
    http://www.bcmorgue.com
    CS 1.5: 24.106.36.66:27017 CS without all the BS!

Originally posted by FHDave
    depends, what's your definition of small/big. We are big compared to probably 98% other webhosts in WHT, but considerably small if compared to the remainding 2%.

I think the qualifiers given about size are really the question. . . and not size at all.

"Grade of service", if you will.

1. The big company offering true 24/7 access, etc.

2. The small guy guaranteeing to return your call within 2 hours and giving you 1:1 attention on all problems?

Dan
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site