Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is overselling exactly?

I've hear the continual use of the word *overselling*, could someone be so kind as to give me the meaning of what exactly that is according to how it is used in the hosting industry please.

Thanks

OverSelling - Meaning that a host is putting far too many clients on the same server.

If one server can handle say 80GBs of diskspace and 400GBs of bandwidth, it would be overselling if a host has put 120GBs Diskspace / 800GBs bandwidth worth of clients on that server.

It's a problem no matter what, and it shouldnt be done, but it becomes more of a problem when those clients start using their full alloted amount of diskspace and bandwidth.

Hope that answers your question.

Most servers are set 1TB of Bandwidth. Say, each package has 25GB of Bandwidth included - however, the host figures that not each client would use the full 25GB. So, instead of 1000/25=40 - they will pack lets say 50 clients, 10 more. This in turn gives the host expensive overage charges to their account, eventually steering them into bankrupcy. Same thing goes for Disk Space, but you - the client would go to add something into your account, and it would say Disk Full. And you would say...what the hay, my package includes 5GB, but I'm only using 1.5GB - my account isn't full. This is overselling.

Hope this helps.

We allow overselling but once the client needs more than he sold, they must upgrade plans.

Overselling with us is as follows: We allow say 10Gb of disk space and 50Gb of Bandwidth (for example). The client can provision more accounts that have space limitations that exceed the above limitations. However once the account actually uses that (because most web sites never use even 2% of their allotted space) the reseller must upgrade their plan.

In my opinion that is a bad way to conduct business. Overselling should not be allowed or tolerated with any respectable host.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    In my opinion that is a bad way to conduct business. Overselling should not be allowed or tolerated with any respectable host.
    Gonna have to agree with Cybex on this one.

Greetings:

Overselling is advertising and promoting something you currently do not have on hand.

i.e. You have a 40 GB hard drive with 30 GB for actual use. Your primary plan has 1 GB of disk space, and you put 250 sites on the server.

250 GB if all used even though you only have 30 GB of free space on the server.

Overselling can work in areas where you can readily, easily, and financially acquire the said resources in time to deliver them upon demand.

For example, let’s state your plans offer 10 GB of bandwidth with the same 250 sites on the server. That’s 2,500 MB of bandwidth.

Let’s say your provider includes 1,000 MB of bandwidth…. But any overages are automatically provided and charged to your account.

Presuming your pricing incorporates paying for the additional 1,500 MB of bandwidth, you are covered.

Lastly, the one area to keep in mind if you do play (and it is playing to a degree) with overselling, the reliability and performance of your server(s) can be dramatically impacted for the worse by treating them like sardine cans.

So even if you think you have the math down perfectly in terms of quantity and finances, the actually deliver may cause problems for your clients on said boxes.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

HI guys, thanks for the input.

Is it possible to simply consider overselling as *putting more websites and allocating more bandwidth* on your account or server than it is designed to hold? So as you say, you get problems if and when there is sudden demand, then the whole demand goes *over* in what is called overage.

In some way if you put this in your strategy as some obviously do, then is it like kind of *banking on the future*, or banking that people don't use all over their alloted space, a bit like dealing in share futures? Selling based on expectations.

Originally posted by EcpHosting
    Erik Herrera - Ecp Hosting Operations Manager
    >> Quality Shared/Reseller Hosting & Domain Registrations
    Ecp Hosting | Current WHT Special
    Just to let you know, not only do you oversell - but your violating WHT rules with your signature.
    Originally posted in the WHT Rules
    Signatures:
    Must be setup in your profile, and not manually added to your messages.
    May not contain any pricing, plan, sales, server, network, etc. details.
    May contain a maximum of two smilies. Or one animated smiley.
    May include two clickable links.
    May include two colors.
    Maximum font size cannot be larger than normal.
    Must be kept to a maximum of four lines (at 1024 resolution).
    May not contain links to other threads or posts.
    Your signature is your signature. It is not for sale or rent.
    We reserve the right to ask you to change and/or remove your signature at any time, for any reason.

p.s. john, your websites pretty excellent, I love the design

Originally posted by Tanuk
    p.s. john, your websites pretty excellent, I love the design
    Most of the time we get criticized for it.

Your either joking wildly or being hugely humble. I think you probably are quite proud of your site. If I am not a good judge of what looks good and what doesn't then I am not going to be in for a very lucrative business

I think his website is a great design, and I for one, do have a great eye for design. Good work John.

Thanks g2, I'm glad I'm not the only one thought so

No, we always get criticized for it because it's an edited template. As a web host, we do not have unlimited time on our hands. We would rather work on our servers, help the clients, etc. than mess around with creating a silly design. So, we took a template so we would only have to work on it for a day or so, instead of starting from scratch taking a week or two.

Well I must say I'm really surprised, it looks good for just a template.

No, we always get criticized for it because it's an edited template.
    You shouldnt be criticized because it is a template. I knew it was, I have seen it around, as I am looking at templates right now too.

I fully agree though, why waste time designing a site when you could have one up in a day and have more time to help your clients and their servers, which is the most important part.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a template I like.

Exactly, most people don't understand that:

Which one is more imporant?

Working on the servers?
    Having more time to help with clients?
    Or, make a new site?

Definitly, A and B.
    NOT C

I totally 100% agree. But I would like to have the new site wide re-design done sometime soon. It's driving me slightly insane

Ya, the purple and orange are kinda.... um.....
    slightly insane
    I would recommend a flash site, however not too much flash - you want it to load something before the customers are dead.

So how can you tell if its a template or not? I'm not a techno guru, but I have guys who are technical engineers who work for the small IT company I have...I have never asked htem about that.

Is it possible to tell if a website is a *template website* as opposed to a nice *bespoke* taylor made jobee

I have looked at a few templates before but never anything as good looking as that. I'm really amazed frankly

Usually you can just tell because you've seen other sites with almost identical setups.

So no, there's really no way to know if it is or not, unless the template creators put some little blurb about it in the source code.
    Take care,
    Brad Birmingham
    http://www.bluevirtual.com

Ya, the purple and orange are kinda.... um.....
    I would recommend a flash site, however not too much flash - you want it to load something before the customers are dead.
    It's not purple. It's more of a blue. And I am thinking Flash, but I know about flash all too, and testing that it loads nicely is something I will certainly do.

Good thing I still have a friend who has a 56K Modem.

Basically the only way is if there is a credit line un-removable from the bottom, or if you have seen other sites with almost identical, or exactly identical setups.

Originally posted by B_Birmingham
    Usually you can just tell because you've seen other sites with almost identical setups.

So no, there's really no way to know if it is or not, unless the template creators put some little blurb about it in the source code.
    You can usually just tell which are custom original jobs and which are templates, or well, atleast I can.

John's is awesome, cause I will put money on the table that he paid for it, where as the ones you have seen are more then likely FREEBIES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast