Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adiungo VPS review

Hi everyone, I've been around wht for a few months, posting here and there. I've recently signed up with Adiungo and decided to write a review. This is my first review so be nice

This is based on my experience with their VPSxpert package

First, I messaged their sales department, asking if I could pay monthly with paypal. They responded telling me that I could with the vpsxpert plan. Great. So I send $21 dollars to them along with an email telling them I have payed. They respond back telling me they could not find my account to credit the money to. Then it was discovered I signed up under the wrong part of the site (stupid me). The sales rep said he could just make an account for me if I give him some info (bill/phone number/etc). There were probably about 7 emails passed back and forth, each was answered in a few hours.

A few hours later, I get an email with all the account login details. Everything works, great.

Since this is my first time on a vps and it's mostly for practise before I get my dedicated, I sent out a few newbish support tickets. The first on why I coudln't use pico (turned out it wasn't installed and VI is the default editor) and the second on linking a subdomain with a folder (they tell me to use symoblic links with an example). Each support tick (both 'medium' urgency, was answered in a few hours.

The server is in the UK but I get good speeds nonetheless from US. using wget off one of the mysql.com download mirrors, I got around 500kbs. The mirror was probably not the fastest and I haven't had time yet to run a speed test.

So basically,
    Price: Great! $21 for 75gig transfer/5gig hd
    Support: Above Satisfactory, my tickets were answered in a few hours, haven't tried their phone number yet
    Network: To be tested, should be fine though.

For this price I'm not expecting wonders but after reading about the endless horror stories in this forum, this seems to be pretty good.

I'll keep you guys updated if you wish.

whats their www?

US Server

Hi Rahde,

Just to let you know - we do have a US DC; it is probably the case that the UK server was less loaded, so your VPS was added there.

If you wish to be moved to one of our US servers, please just let our support dept. know, and it will be taken care of right away.

Shoey - our site is www.adiungo.com

whats your DC in US?
    Last edited by pidoy; 04-29-2004 at 09:14 AM.
    PHdomain.com- Your .PH domain registration provider
    -
    PageRankStatus.com - Check your Page Rank Status

US DC

We're in DPTE - Downtown Phoenix Technology Exchange (phoenix, AZ).

Can you PM me your test IP one of your servers in the UK?

UK IP

I've PM'd the address to you.

can you pm me also the to test the US server?
    -

US IP

I've sent the IP of a server in our US DC.

specials.. any?
    -

I would like to highly reccommend their solutions, I have worked for adiungo on many occasions and can only highly rate there service.

I signed up for a Adiungo VPS approx 23 hours ago after reading positive things about them on WHT. Unfortunately I have not received any configuration/welcome e-mails from them to say that I am set up and where to get started?

I have been e-mailed my order, invoice & payment details by Adiungo and nothing else. I can get into the my.adiungo.com page and see my order and payment details, but nothing else.

I've also submitted a request via the form on their site as well as logged a support ticket about 6 hours ago, all with no result. The Adiungo website says to contact them if your account is not setup with 60 minutes.

Are Adiungo closed on weekends or am I doing something wrong here? If anyone from Adiungo is reading this, please feel free to contact me by PM.

Regards,

Wrexy-AU

Just received a call from Adiungo confirming all my details.

Account is all setup and working now.

WooHoo!

Account Activation

Wrexy,

Just to let you know, the reason for the account activation not being automatic was for security reasons.

Because a VPS provides full root access, it would be all too easy for someone who has signed up with a fraudulent card to launch an attack on another network, or send out waves of spam, all while assuming a false identity.

For this reason, we employ our own fraud screening protocols, which go far beyond normal credit card checks - if any of the details provided do not pass these checks, it is our normal procedure to verify the order details by telephone.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you, but would point out that it is, ultimately, for the benefit of all customers on our networks.

Edit: I was not implying that you were using fraudulent details, merely that we had to check.

Hi AdH,

No problems and all understood on the procedures. I spoke with Henry on the phone this afternoon and he explained all of this to me. I was quite suprised to get a call from the US to here 'Down Under' for this! I guess that it would've been the middle of the night over there when he called, so I'm more than impressed.

Anyway, it is all setup now. I did request to be placed on a US based server, as the UK is 3/4 of the way around the world for us as far as Internet bandwidth goes. How can I tell if this has been done?

Regards,

Wrexy-AU

US vs. UK Server

You should be able to run a traceroute on the IP address of your VPS (either from your local machines, or from somewhere like DNSstuff.com) - when you do this, it will be apparent whether you are on a server in the UK or the US (from both the time it takes to complete, and the names of the equipment it is hopping on).

We just installed new servers in the US, so you should also have very high performance

Regarding getting a call from us - it wouldn't be very nice of us to get you out of bed to verify your account, so i think that's the least we can do!

Yeah, i was also very surprised that you'r really calling around the world (in my case Germany) to verify the order...
    i mean calling abroad isn't free and the employee has to be paid too
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

DC

Wrexy,

Just to let you know, your VPS is now on our US servers.

i mean calling abroad isn't free and the employee has to be paid too
    BiGWill,

we use VoIP, so the calls aren't too expensive, and we generally get a supporter to make the calls in the middle of the night, when the load is lower, and it's daylight wherever the customer lives!

It actually makes a lot of sense for us to do this - the costs that could be associated with us not verifying a customer even once could be gigantic, if it means any part of the network goes down. We might also get a full abuse@ mailbox if we aren't careful

I hope this lets you know why we do it!

IMHO, if all hosts did it this way i think the net would be a better place - though i don't think it would ever be feasible, especially for small hosts with little man (or woman) power.

Thanks AdH...

Much appreciated for the advice and it is reassuring to get a phone call from your host, no matter what time of the day or night it is!

Just on the US hosted VPS now and the speeds are very good here into Australia. From what I can tell (and by the speed I'm getting) I'm guessing that your Control Panel is based in the UK.

I can definitely tell the difference in speed to US sites as opposed to your UK sites, as our Internet traffic to the world generally goes via the US, so although there is only 8 hours time difference between the UK and where I am in Australia, our Internet traffic goes the opposite away around the world covering 3/4's of the earth!

I guess I have to ask if there any plans to locate an Adiungo control panel in the US?

Regards,

Wrexy-AU

US CP

Wrexy,

We certainly do - we are currently exploring ways to do this, including balancing the load geographically, but this is not a small task :-) We expect to have a solution impletmented within the month.

You should be aware that the control panel speed has no correlation to the speed of your sites or server; it is hosted on a completely seperate system.

Adiungo is really the best hosting service I've came along in 5 years. 18 minutes of downtime since early March 2004. Any of the hosts wanna beat THAT?

Their custom to call new customers is actually a very good thing, not only for them. In my case (I live in Lithuania) I fully understood the purpose of the call and why my account wasn't setup untill every question wasn't answered.

For wrexy-au - Henry Owens is calling from Ireland (but my mobile phone was showing UK country code), not from USA.

Thanxxx, Henry! For everything (especially for THAT - you know what I mean)!

Originally posted by nikki6
    Adiungo is really the best hosting service I've came along in 5 years. 18 minutes of downtime since early March 2004. Any of the hosts wanna beat THAT?
    Thanxxx, Henry! For everything (especially for THAT - you know what I mean)!
    Hmm...what would "THAT" happen to be?

18 minutes of downtown in 3 months isn't the most impressive. (nothing against the Adiungo guys, but you can't evaluate service quality in only three months).

Peter

Sounds great, might have to try them out
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Hmm...what would "THAT" happen to be?
    Oh, yeah... They simply bribed me to write all these things about them...

18 minutes of downtown in 3 months isn't the most impressive. (nothing against the Adiungo guys, but you can't evaluate service quality in only three months).
    Well, I mostly agree with you, Peter. Except that this company is like heavens for me after what I've experienced with my previous hosting provider...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast