Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bob, I took no offense (US spelling )

I can assure you that the Sydney Olympics will be surpassed, for the following reasons:

1. The spirit of the games - nowhere better than in the land that originated at.
    2. Greeks need to be prodded to accomplish things - just call us philosophical procrastinators - but when "pushed" we deliver.
    3. The recent government change created no delays in the construction and going forward with the projects. If anything else, the new government is more serious and more effective and in coordination with the local authorities (mayor etc) they are able to put more effort into it.
    4. Sheer number of volunteers - more than 50,000 - including many Greeks & philhellenes from Australia and the US.
    5. Concurring Cultural Olympiad
    6. Extensive budget and military support for security and anti-terrorism. Also, even though Greece is a Western ally and NATO member, has a moderate - if not neutral - approach and good relations with Arab countries, by tradition.

Links:
    Official site http://www.athens2004.com

Timechange, even the US media predicts they won't be ready. They have had to shelve plans for the Olympic swimming pool roof because they can't get it finished in time.

They knew they had them, you can't just sit around a twiddle your thumbs for three years and then start. Now I think the work on these venues that's being completed now will be substandard in an effort to finish in time.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

lol so the ausies want to do there own security for their atheletes do they .

soooooo are they going to be able to stop anyone bombing them this time because they didnt when the olympics was in australia...

remember the bomb that went off.......

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    Timechange, even the US media predicts they won't be ready. They have had to shelve plans for the Olympic swimming pool roof because they can't get it finished in time.

They knew they had them, you can't just sit around a twiddle your thumbs for three years and then start. Now I think the work on these venues that's being completed now will be substandard in an effort to finish in time.
    Ahhh, cassandric predictions again
    Allow me to say that you are welcome to visit or view on tv once the time comes. You won't suffer, as long as you like track & field.

I must say that Americans are generally speaking "hard to please" - if there is no ice in their drinks they ask for the manager

But seriously, I would be more concerned about the US media coverage, as the 2000 coverage on tv was a big flop.

Originally posted by timechange.com
    1. The spirit of the games - nowhere better than in the land that originated at.

IMO, that's putting too much emphasis on the past, and not the actual on the ground infrastructure to actually run a super huge event like the Olympics. It's a nice warm and fuzzy that there might be some old building in the background, but unless the infrastructure is capable, then it's going to be a disaster of monumental proportions, and it will go down in history as the greatest Olympics flop ever. I hope not.
    2. Greeks need to be prodded to accomplish things - just call us philosophical procrastinators - but when "pushed" we deliver.

Philosophical procrastinating does not get stadiums built, roads, major infrastructue upgraded etc. I think just because the Olympics originated there, however how many centuries back, it didn't give them the right to take a laid back approach to it. It's coming down to the wire now and the whole world is watching. If Athens doesn't pull this off, it will spell disaster for their standing in world.
    3. The recent government change created no delays in the construction and going forward with the projects. If anything else, the new government is more serious and more effective and in coordination with the local authorities (mayor etc) they are able to put more effort into it.

One would hope the new government is deadly serious about being ready, when the world comes.
    4. Sheer number of volunteers - more than 50,000 - including many Greeks & philhellenes from Australia and the US.

They'll need every one of them too. I don't know the official numbers of aussie volunteers for Sydney 2000 games, but it was a HUGE army, and they make all the difference.

I reaaaaaaaaally hope they can pull it off, as I greatly enjoy watching the world's best compete in a platform such as this.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

. . . But seriously, I would be more concerned about the US media coverage, as the 2000 coverage on tv was a big flop.
    Yeah, didn't they pay 900 million for the TV rights, and then broadcast the games with a 14 hour delay, to fit into prime time, given the time difference with aussie?

Bob relax. Just grab the best Aussie beer and watch the games. What's the time difference from GMT+2 where you're at?

Bob relax. Just grab the best Aussie beer and watch the games. What's the time difference from GMT+2 where you're at?
    timechange.com, didn't you know??

The reason Aussie Bob is all twitchy and on edge is because there is a rumour on the news, that Ian Thorpe had his left foot bitten into by a Dingo whilst on a survival course in the outback, and to make it worse its gone gangrenous. They're awfully concerned about their medal tally you see.

Seriously, Aussie Bob, timechange.com who are you backing for a medal this summer bar the obvious?

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

In what event?
    Greece will do well in the 100/200m hopefully, gymnastics and weight lifting.

Oh no event in particular, just maybe if you had a certain athlete or athlests set aside that you really believe will win a medal.

You can have the weight lifting but i'd really like it if Jason Gardener or Mark Lewis-Francis could do something in the 100m, bring back the Olympic days of Linford Christie.

We're also sending over a really strong swimming team and stand a very good chance in the sailing and to a lesser extent in the towing. Not to mention my hopes for the track and field events and Marathon if Paula Radclife goes for it. A lot to look forward to and not just all British but of course that is my main priority. This summer will be great when it comes to watching and supporting England and Britain in sport with Euro 2004 and the Olympics.

Going back to your comment on TV coverage, i can tell you that the BBC will go big on it and it will be on the News and all over here in Britain. Of course with it being in Greece and Europe there won't be any time problems or anything like that. However i have heard that there isn't really the appeal and audience for it in the states or as much as there used to be. NBC cover it i think.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

[i]pixel_fenix, have you read Rainbwo Six by Tom Clancy? Your proposed outcome sounds like it came from that book.
    [/B]
    Yes it did and if I recall using an airplane to attack the world trade center was also in a book. So the theory is not as crazy as it seems.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by Critic
    . . . The reason Aussie Bob is all twitchy and on edge is because there is a rumour on the news, that Ian Thorpe had his left foot bitten into by a Dingo whilst on a survival course in the outback, and to make it worse its gone gangrenous. They're awfully concerned about their medal tally you see.

Critic

I was most annoyed with the way that Thorpie got his spot in the 400m back, when Craig Stevens surrendered his spot, when Thorpie was disqualified. What a scam!

Maybe put a new link on top of the mboard... "Insurance Quote."

Originally posted by thedavid
    <request forums>

We can do it for $9.95/month, first three months free, *and* a free domain name.

</request forums>

What are you all looking at me for?
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

IMO, that's putting too much emphasis on the past, and not the actual on the ground infrastructure to actually run a super huge event like the Olympics. It's a nice warm and fuzzy that there might be some old building in the background, but unless the infrastructure is capable, then it's going to be a disaster of monumental proportions, and it will go down in history as the greatest Olympics flop ever. I hope not.
    Well, looking a little back would be great.So we could forget desasters like assigning olympics to cities just because they host CocaCola premises (ATLANTA).That's in my opinion the greatest Olympics flop ever.

Philosophical procrastinating does not get stadiums built, roads, major infrastructue upgraded etc. I think just because the Olympics originated there, however how many centuries back, it didn't give them the right to take a laid back approach to it. It's coming down to the wire now and the whole world is watching. If Athens doesn't pull this off, it will spell disaster for their standing in world.
    I dont know if you have ever been to Greece,but it seems you are thinking that Greece is somewhere in Africa in the middle of nowhere.Greece is in the european union , i bet it has less inflation than australia and has managed many sports events before.

Somebody said here that "even the US media say that Greece is behind the shedule". Well i don't know if we should take this seriously into account ....

I am from Greece and i have lived in many countries in Europe before.The above comments are not to attack anybody who posted here his opinion.Take this not wrong Bob.
    But like many others here in Greece, we are tired and dissapointed to see others from abroad trying to convince the people around the world, about things that are far away from what we see here in Greece every day.

So , like timechange said , sit back and have a beer. Use these olympics not only to watch successful games but also to get a view into greek history (world history) and greek language( which is the root of many other languages).

I hope you will visit Greece for the olympics.

They'll need every one of them too. I don't know the official numbers of aussie volunteers for Sydney 2000 games, but it was a HUGE army, and they make all the difference.
    ATHENS (Reuters) - More than 2,500 U.S. citizens have applied to be volunteers for August's Athens Olympics, organizers said on Thursday.

The Americans top the list of 188 foreign nationalities who want to be volunteers. Spaniards are in second place with just under 2,000 applications and Germans in third with about 1,300.

"Our mobilization to attract volunteers lasted two years and the results are impressive," Games organizers ATHOC said in a statement.

Organizers said a record 160,000 people sent in applications, 25 percent of whom were foreigners and about 10 percent Greeks living abroad. The remaining 65 percent were mainly Athenians.

At least 50,000 volunteers are needed, compared to the 47,000 used in Sydney in 2000.

The record number of applicants comes despite concerns from foreign media about security arrangements for the Olympics.

The Games' security plan, costing more than 650 million euros ($769 million), includes 45,000 security officers -- three times the number used in Sydney -- and NATO air and sea patrols.

The Olympics take place from August 13-29.

Revamped Athens rail to carry 50% more passengers

ATHENS (Reuters) - Athens' revamped suburban rail line will be able to carry 50 percent more passengers after upgrade work to be completed well ahead of the Olympic games, Greek Transport Minister Michalis Liapis said on Thursday.

"Work on the stations is developing at a fast pace despite the usual initial delays, and will be ready early July, maybe even earlier," he said in a statement after a visit to one of the stations.

Greece is renovating the capital's existing rail line, which runs to the port of Piraeus.

It is also building a new, extended suburban rail network as well as a tram line, key projects that will link the city centre and the airport with seaside Olympic venues. Both the new rail and tram links will be ready for use in July, officials said.

New rail wagons and the upgraded stations will enable the revamped Athens-Piraeus rail line to carry 50 percent more passengers during the Olympic Games, estimated at around 600,000 from 400,000 now, Liapis noted.

The Games will be held from August 13-29

I guess most of you have your info about the greek progress on the Olympics from the Murdoch imperium.

You might be interested in this article :

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...217655,00.html

Yeah the UK "rags" are at it again; no worries.

*fingers crossed* - here's to a great games.

The Iraqi soccer team beat Saudi Arabia 1-0 and will be in the finals in Athens!

The Iraqi soccer team beat Saudi Arabia 1-0 and will be in the finals in Athens!

Maybe those are not only good news for Iraq , but also for the safety of the olympics ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12