What is the perfect package/price quota?

What's everyone's opinion?

Now I am just talking DiskSpace & Bandwidth & Price.

Keeping in mind, these packages would have all the features - emails, subdomains, databases, so forth - and would have good support.

So, what is your opinion on what would be the perfect package for price?

DiskSpace = _ _ _ _ _ MBs

Bandwidth = _ _ _ _ _ GBs

Price = $_ _ . _ _ USD

Just curious on what everyone's idea of the perfect balanced package is.

My belief is that there is no perfect package for everyone. You should look at your market and decided what market you want to go after and what you can afford to give.

In the end you need to be able to pay for your costs.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I will usually take my smallest / most economical package and do the following.

(take the free disk space on the home directory) take 80% of that.
    Now take the space I would like to provide and get the number of accounts that would fill up the 80%.

Now I have an idea of the ammount of space I can sell.
    I really don't worry about bandwidth but I give a fair ammount to what ever the disk space would be. Then I take and figuar out the average cost of bandwidth and space per 100MB or the 1gb. Find the price, and depending on the space add up to 10% for support.

This makes it not to expensive, but is a fair ammount of profit for the work that you may have to do.

This goes out the window with reseller and dedicated services though.

personally I figured mine out with a few calculations, took my server resources divided that by for instance 1gb bw which told me I can have x amount of packages with 1gb bw and divided by disk space by amount of packages and that gave me an approx. amount of space for an account... and then decided how much money I would want to make off this one server and divided that by the number of accounts I could get on it with the above specs which I used for my price. If you set the same amount of money you want to make on the server for each package then you know exactly how much you could make if you used all your resources. I don't think there is anything perfect though. But that is the way I figured it out so I wasn't wasting a ton of space and of course no overselling what I have.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Ok, but I am saying is this;

If you have a package that costs $10 or $15 or $20, what would be the perfect amount of diskspace and bandwidth for those prices.

I am quite happy with my packages, as I am certain most people are happy with the prices they decided on.

Just curious on what people think if you have a $10 package, how much bandwidth and diskspace should a person get with that?

G2-Hosting,
    This is an odd question. People have stated the formulas that they might uses. What more can you ask for?

Are you asking these questions as per a host or as per a customer? As a host it depends on what your resources are and what your niche is. The perfect amount for us to offer is exactly the formula I mentioned above. Of course we'd all love to be able to ask for 5 times as much and get 3 times the customers but that just isn't realistic. So you have to figure out what your costs will be and what you feel you should be making off of every account and go from there. Again anyone who oversells I would not even consider, even if they aren't I wouldn't bother trying it.. If someone is offer 50mb space and 50GB BW obviously they are overselling their BW, because you would only be able to charge a few $ for that which isn't realistic.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Originally posted by FatalSw1tch
    G2-Hosting,
    This is an odd question. People have stated the formulas that they might uses. What more can you ask for?
    Well, really I was just curious as to what people though.

For instance, I have seen some people on the forums say that, you should get 1GB of bandwidth for $1. So if you have a package that costs $15, the package should have 15GBs of bandwidth.

Just curious if people agree with that, or if they think it should be more or less. I dont particuarly see how this is an odd question. I find it rather straight forward.

Originally posted by hometownhosting
    Are you asking these questions as per a host or as per a customer?
    I guess I am asking from a customer's point of view really. I mean after all, all th hosts have their formula for figuring out what they should offer as packages. I have my own as well.

So, ya, from a customers point of view.

A good formula to follow is:

Amount of Bandwidth: $1 / GB
    Amount of Disk Space: 10% of Bandwidth

Example:

15GB of Bandwdith
    1.5GB of Disk Space
    $15 / Month

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

CybexHost1

Thanks for the answer, that is what I was curious about. Perfect answer. I see you around as much as you see Tanuk around - lol

I still think I see him more.

DiskSpace = 10,000 MBs

Bandwidth = 250 GBs

Price = $00 . 99 USD
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Originally posted by cMark
    DiskSpace = 10,000 MBs

Bandwidth = 250 GBs

Price = $00 . 99 USD
    your joking right? I dont think even a customer is insane enough to think they could get those statistics for .99 cents a month

Greetings:

Let's not forget the people factor in pricing: administrative, sales, support, service, etc. Then the infrastracture (office space and/or telecommunications et all) to make it happen.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Of course he is joking, at least I really hope so. That is so insanely.....insane - no one would actually go for it, unless they only wanted/needed it for a week or two. Becuase that's all the time their site would be online.

He's joking, lol!

I break my hosting down by bandwidth prices, typically. I start the smaller packages off at the higher end of $2.00 per gig of BW (minimum of 5 gigs to allow for site growth) and drop it down to around $0.80 per gig on the higher end plans (though I do have one customer that's only paying $0.45 per gig, he's got a huge huge plan, though).

I do like one of the suggestions that HD space should be 10% of total bandwidth, and that's usually how I do my plans. If someone needs more of one or the other, everything's adjusted accordingly.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    He's joking, lol!
    You never know about some of the people we have around here.

God, I hope he wasnt serious. Wonder if he will ever post again and let us know if he was joking or not -

Next people will be offering to pay their clients to host with them
    *perhaps I should'nt have given anybody the idea*

Originally posted by Tanuk
    Why? Because you would complain?

Originally posted by Tanuk
    Can we have this comment taken off the record and all eyes erase what they read.

Originally posted by G2-Hosting
    God, I hope he wasnt serious. Wonder if he will ever post again and let us know if he was joking or not -
    LOL.

Of course I was joking. You dont think I would be serious about those kind of prices did you?
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

The perfect quota is when you can offer affordable prices without compromise quality. What that means depends on your clientel and how you handle your support and network.

I dont belive you will find a "XXMB webspace and XXGB bandwidth should cost XX $$" because that varies very much.

If you have a business directed to clients that run big websites that need lot of technical support and a 99.999% uptime, then you WILL need to charge more than you would if you have clients that have small personal websites or personal business websites.

So, you need to find a balance between affordable prices to your customers and still making enough income to be able to give them good support and service. You should also make a few bucks on each client that you can put into a buffert in case something breaks down, or you need to compensate your customers for breakdowns or problems that result in money loss for your customers.

That probably did not help you at all did it?

Originally posted by cMark
    LOL.

Of course I was joking. You dont think I would be serious about those kind of prices did you?
    You just never know with some of the people in this world.

Originally posted by Mortekai
    The perfect quota is when you can offer affordable prices without compromise quality. What that means depends on your clientel and how you handle your support and network.

I dont belive you will find a "XXMB webspace and XXGB bandwidth should cost XX $$" because that varies very much.

If you have a business directed to clients that run big websites that need lot of technical support and a 99.999% uptime, then you WILL need to charge more than you would if you have clients that have small personal websites or personal business websites.

So, you need to find a balance between affordable prices to your customers and still making enough income to be able to give them good support and service. You should also make a few bucks on each client that you can put into a buffert in case something breaks down, or you need to compensate your customers for breakdowns or problems that result in money loss for your customers.

That probably did not help you at all did it?
    Well, yes it did, and no it didnt.

I mean you gave very good advice, but like I said, I didnt really start this thread to get advice. I was more just curious about what every thought would be the perfect package for price.