Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    well, Im not totally sure about prices of the loop, thats not my department.

I would call local clec's instead, they usually can get better prices.

Originally posted by wolfstream
    I've found this site to be very helpful when dealing with bandwidth and conversion from bytes to gb, mb to gb or anything of the like. If you have to do this in the future, you might want to head over there, save yourself a LOT of math and legwork
    You can type stuff like xxx gigabytes in kilobytes in google search and the google calculator will convert it and do the match for you, you can convert just about any unit, distance, weight etc

Interesting

Originally posted by noimad1
    Wow, that is pricey. Do you primarily just do hosting with that? How many servers/clients are you able to run on that?.
    Well currently there's only 88 websites and 550 email accounts hosted here. And as most of them are strictly business sites, we're using very little of our bandwidth.

After I fixed my computational errors and recomputed what's being used, the sites we host are using about 20GB per month, out of 350GB which would be the "maximum" a T1 could support.

If you figure in that most traffic for these sites is during the day and during the week, then you could the T1 could support about 140GB max.

So if I continued to get the same type of customers and were willing to fill up my T1, I'd end up able to host 7 times as many sites as I currently do, which would be 616 domains.

I have no intention of filling up my T1. When it's half full based on adjusted daily weekday bandwidth, or begins reaching saturation point at any time during the day, I'll order another one. I charge enough to do that.

My expectation is that I'll end up ordering another T1 when I reach 200 domains.

With regards to generators, yes, we have two backup generators, to cover the two different power circuits going into the server room.

We also keep spare parts on hand for all our servers, and a few spare full systems.

In case you're doing the math and wondering how in the world all this is funded, and frankly it's subsidized by our network consulting business. We actually started hosting for some of our network consulting customers in response to some special needs they had, and it grew from there. At this point only about half our customers are network consulting customers; the other half are hosting-only customers. The hosting-only customers often ask how in the world we make any money at hosting considering what we provide for the price and how small we are!

<rabbit trail>
    By the way, when we got started, we used SDSL. In case you're not familiar with SDSL it has similar dual-direction bandwidth to T1, but a bit lower (1.1MBPS instead of 1.5MBPS). We also discovered the reliability of SDSL was phenomenal. It's not a substitute for the T1 we have now -- for one thing, T1's and other high speed data lines are a 1st priority when telcos begin restoring local service after a disaster -- but I'd have to say SDSL is a close second at about half the price.
    </rabbit trail>

Tom
    http://www.dynamis.net
    A small domain host focusing on personalized service.

Originally posted by noimad1
    Our servers use around 100GB of bandwith each....so I could only get 4 servers max off that T1. But then again, how well does it handle bursting etc. If all 4 servers were running at full capacity, I would have to assume the dataconnection would slow rapidly?
    Yes, the T1 would slow rapidly as it approached saturation. For that reason it's pretty much time to order a second T1 when the 1st one reaches about half capacity during burst periods.

Which, with a T1, means big file download by 1 person with a good cable modem connection, and it's time to order another T1. Luckily, the sites I host are business sites and file sizes tend to be very small, and no one seems to be hosting hi res video clips here either.

Tom

Originally posted by dynamis
    Well currently there's only 88 websites and 550 email accounts hosted here. And as most of them are strictly business sites, we're using very little of our bandwidth.

Seems like your customers need more business to their websites ;-)

Dan
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

Originally posted by DanPhx
    Seems like your customers need more business to their websites ;-)

Dan
    I'm sure they would agree of course!

But in all seriiousness I think they would also say business is good
    already and their sites are an integral part of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12