How can i test a network or a server bandwith?

Newbie Question here!!

I am new at WHT and i'd like a small help from any WHT member.

How can i test a network or a server bandwith? I'm going to rent for a full year a dedicated server and i' d like some information about Networks, Datacenters, and Server's Bandwidth Performance.

Thanks in advance.

Decide where is the main target audience of your server. If it is in Europe, run some traceroutes and pings and compare the results.

You can also ask for a download file if that is more of a concern. Generally, unless your usage is either ping sensitive (such as game hosting) or download intensive (download server), most datacenters should do the job well.

Also as a general rule of thumb, a data center nearer to the destination should perform better. That is why if you do have a rather niche target area or market, this would come into play.

A place where you can get a lot of places to traceroute from is
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Sprintserve Thanks for your rep. i am new at WHT but i read a lot of threads (WHT scanner).
    The server is a webserver (serving small traffic companies) all the money from hosting invested to dedicated hosting in order to learn.
    Once again i' d like to thank you 4rep.