OS Reload - 53 hours and stll waiting on The Planet

I ordered a OS reload 52 hours ago.
    I receive 2 updates like this: I'm working on it!!

Order time: 25 APR 2004 04:58 AM

Im customer of ThePlanet for almost an year.

What is going on with their bussiness??

Ticket number: 233826PLNT

ymfm

Re: OS Reload - 53 hours and stll waiting on The Planet

Originally posted by ymfm
    I ordered a OS reload 52 hours ago.
    I receive 2 updates like this: I'm working on it!!

Order time: 25 APR 2004 04:58 AM

Im customer of ThePlanet for almost an year.

What is going on with their bussiness??

Ticket number: 233826PLNT

ymfm
    Have you given them a call?

I had an O/S reload done yesterday, it was completed in about 3.5 hours after the request was put in.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I called almost 10 times.
    They are very nice in the phone but cant solve the problem. They junst send a message to the proper department.

They did that to us a few times and we finally left. Just request a refund for the restore also because I beleive they offer a 24 hour gurantee...

54 hours and no sollution

I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Gee! What about me, then?

I had an OS reload on April 11 because my IT guys said we had to have Debian instead of RH. OK, the OS was reloaded.

Before I tell the tale, please note that we have a SECOND identical server at Managed.Com running Debian with the 2.6 kernel update and it's been running without problems since the beginning of April.

Keeping that in mind, let me continue.

On April 12 the server is ready.
    On April 15 I ask for a reboot, the server won't start.
    On April 15 another reboot request. Server won't start
    On April 16 I'm told that my IT people updated the kernel with 2.6 and that The Matrix won't support it. If I want them to troubleshoot it, it may take longer than 3 hours at $75 an hour.

On April 16 I ask for a SECOND OS reload.

This time I tell my people "NO kernel upgrade. Leave as it is. I know, the one at Managed runs fine, but for some reason at The Matrix it won't. So, don't even try."

On April 20 the OS hasn't been loaded yet and the server isn't ready.
    On April 21 they tell me it's ready but the server won't recognize listening ports. Later they say it's fixed. Give it a try, won't start.

The Matrix blames it on Debian stating that, to make it work properly they had to disable dual memory. But even with dual memory disabled, it will still won't start.

Finally, out of desperation, I call Stephanie at Sales (with whom I've opened other 6 servers for business purposes, this is for a hobby) and ask her to intervene. Stephanie, terrific person as she is, solves everything and I get a working server 10 DAYS after my initial request albeit with dual memory disabled.

And all this because, according to The Matrix, Debian doesn't run on their servers unless they disable some features. Now, since the one I have at Managed has been running without a hitch, I wonder what the guys at Managed know that those at The Matrix don't.

But that is neither here nor there. Now I read that others haven't been charged due to a delay while I was charged $150 when *MY* delay was 10 days??????????????

C'mon..........
    Last edited by Trilux; 04-27-2004 at 12:25 PM.

2.6 Kernels are quite difficult in terms of hardware compatibility, we would have charge for it if customers wants us to try troubleshooting. Try 2.6 Kernels with SCSI and it's almost certain that it wont start on the first trial... (well, at least we can't get it with one try...)

Well, now we know: if you want to run Debian, go with Managed.com because they either have the right hardware or know what they're doing and avoid The Matrix and--from what I read--ethr.net as well.

Simple.

I had problems with 2.6 kernels on Dual XEON (TC).
    After I changed to 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP it worked fine.

Problem is HT support in any 2.4 kernel is horrible. 2.6 solves major HT issues especially in SMP systems. So... depending on your server's hardware and config... 2.6 on one box isn't like 2.6 on another and 2.6 on one box is lightyears ahead of the 2.4 kernel on the same machine in most cases.

Originally posted by hooflung
    Problem is HT support in any 2.4 kernel is horrible. 2.6 solves major HT issues especially in SMP systems. So... depending on your server's hardware and config... 2.6 on one box isn't like 2.6 on another and 2.6 on one box is lightyears ahead of the 2.4 kernel on the same machine in most cases.
    Don't doubt it.

BUT--that's the BIG question--how would I know WHICH box I have? I mean, all I know it's the same processor, same memory and a somewhat bigger drive in one (Managed's).

Still, in one box it runs perfectly, in the other it won't (or so I'm told, I'm not there) start.

However, that wasn't the question. The issue was, if they're refunding OS reloads because they hadn't been effected within 24 hrs, why I don't get it when I waited 4 days in the second reload?

THAT is the issue at hand.

Trilux for one thing motherboard and drive controllers are different. Trilux do this, recompile a 2.6.5 kernel then ask sm to reboot it from console and report to you the exact error messages that come on screen and then work with that.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I had a pretty terrible time with SM and OS reloads, however, they never charged me. I would have preferred to pay and have my customers back online quicker.

Originally posted by Trilux
    Don't doubt it.

BUT--that's the BIG question--how would I know WHICH box I have? I mean, all I know it's the same processor, same memory and a somewhat bigger drive in one (Managed's).

Still, in one box it runs perfectly, in the other it won't (or so I'm told, I'm not there) start.

However, that wasn't the question. The issue was, if they're refunding OS reloads because they hadn't been effected within 24 hrs, why I don't get it when I waited 4 days in the second reload?

THAT is the issue at hand.
    Why don't you just call and ask for a credit / refund. Seems simple enough.

Originally posted by Naes
    Why don't you just call and ask for a credit / refund. Seems simple enough.
    Because, if it's a matter of "policy" as stated, then I shouldn't ask. I mean, if I go to a store advertising a 20% discount on all purchases, I'd expect them to calculate it when totalling the bill without asking.

Or maybe it's just me. Been brainwashed by that sign my dad on his desk: "Underpromise and overdeliver." Ought to throw it away.