Melitaweb Closed???

Hi I just noticed that my most, melitaweb, posted the following:

"Melitaweb.net is closing it's international hosting on 21st May 2004 If you have any questions please address them to support @melitaweb.net"

Surely their customers deserve more of an explanation that this terse one-liner! What do you make of this?

maybe bankrupt
    at least they're giving you a month to move better than some companies out there.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I would say they are going out of business. Have you tried to e-mail them by chance?

Too many hosting companies these days are "fly by night". Just curious, where were they located?

Regards,

Damion McHenry
    www.interXstream.com

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Yes, I just emailed melitaweb. No response so far.

They've been great up until now.

As for their location, I'm not sure. Melitaweb.com has prices quoted in Lm and that was for their local business. Melitaweb.net was for international customers.

The whosis data for the domains indicates

White Rose House
    Xintill Street
    Tarxien PLA11, PLA11
    MT

It's too bad they didnt stick around. Now I'm going to have to find another host. I've had more hosts than birthdays in the last few years.

One other thing: I guess I wont get back any monies owing for unused hosting months.

At least they gave you a pretty good chunk of a notice. Most other companies just decide to close up shop one day.

Look under RelatedOffers & Requests to see if you can recognize some post related to them - because most hosts that are going out sell their client-base in that forum. So, if you're being Sold, you should know

But when someone sells, he gets a new temporary userid approved from the MODS, so you may have a hard time recognizing which user has put the Co. on sale.

If they were planning on selling their client base, they wouldn't issue such an announcement. Otherwise, all of their clients would leave - and there wouldn't be any clients to sell.

Just an update on this story. This message is posted at the site now: "Melitaweb.net is closing it's international reseller hosting on 21st May 2004 Please note this *only* affects resellers - if you have a single yearly hosting plan with us it will remain hosted until it's natural expiry. If you have any questions please address them to [email protected]"

hmmm,

Interesting - Kinda shocking - those customers (resellers) are worth money to them - I wonder why they wouldnt just sell those customers....

Im pretty sure thats a Maltese address, as LM is the maltese lira.

Edit: Yes it is, its the home of the Tarxian temples. Just south of valletta if i remember correctly.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!