Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Whois database is a rip-off

Been using the whois database at some registrar's site. One in particular is godaddy.com.

Past 2 weeks ago I looked up a domain name using the whois service, and found that the domain was free to register. Obviously this was done out of curiosity and in no means to register the domain. Although the domain itself had its potentials, I was only considering it at the time being.

Now, I rechecked the whois for the domain name and to my findings realize that the domain has been registered by the registrar, being godaddy.com.

I think this is against some privacy, and is quite unfair for potential clients. How can we look forward to registerring a domain if we can't even privately/confidentially gather information about it.

For those who are curious, the domain name was www.QO.com. When you visit that site, it will state that the domain name is currently owned by godaddy and is up for sale. Also, the dates have been modified in some way. It currently says that the domain name has been registered since 1997. Ive checked two times, before, and I know for sure that this was a free domain from this year.
    Almost a cheating way to invest their time and services.

Anyhow, I dont know how many other registrars or whois services come close to this scenario. I also have another potential domain name thats waiting to expire, and already starting to see the same situation.

Code:
       Domain Name: QO.COM
       Registrar: MONIKER ONLINE SERVICES, INC.
       Whois Server: whois.moniker.com
       Referral URL: http://www.moniker.com/whois.html
       Name Server: NS2.NATIONAL-NET.COM
       Name Server: NS1.NATIONAL-NET.COM
       Updated Date: 18-jan-2003
       Creation Date: 08-may-1996
       Expiration Date: 09-may-2006
    domain registered since 1996 and is not reg'ed by godaddy

seems you're totally confused.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

LOL

I think there are some cracks behing the whois system but it normally seems to show what domains are still available/sold. You might have mis typed your domain.

MY MISTAKE. Its www.OQ.com

And even if the whois database reveals different information, I know that it wasnt there 2 weeks ago.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
    Domain Name: OQ.COM
    Created on: 08-May-96
    Expires on: 09-May-05
    Last Updated on: 31-May-03

1996? 2 weeks ago this domain didnt even exist!
    Last edited by Kriz; 04-26-2004 at 07:00 PM.

tehre is noway you find 2 letter or even 3 letter .com domains available maybe system glitch
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

alwaysw use something that connect to the registry directly like www.internic.net or from unix command prompt do whois

BTW, i know that this domain name was registered through godaddy.com. It doesnt mean that goddady were the ones who registered it. Its just funny that it is a registered domain after I recently checked with the whois service.

I should have took a screenshot. And I know its far from a system glitch, because the 2 times that Ive tried to search the whois, were done on seperate days.

Like you said, 2-3 letter domain names are rare. Competitive in value aswell. Whats not stopping one from obtaining ownership with whatever means, if they can.
    Silly assumption here, but even in reality this sort of business approach is common.

Originally posted by Bashar
    alwaysw use something that connect to the registry directly like www.internic.net or from unix command prompt do whois
    So doing a whois from www.internic.net will assure that whatever information i submit will be confidential?

Kriz you need to apply for a job at Area 51

Godaddy loses the connection to the registry sometimes. When this happens all domains show as available.

All 2 character .com's have been registered for years now. all 3 letter .coms as well.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Originally posted by kohashi
    all 3 letter .coms as well.
    I'd say all 3-char .coms as well

Originally posted by timechange.com
    Kriz you need to apply for a job at Area 51
    Is that an offer? Where can i send my CV? May i put you as a reference?

Ok, reviewing the comments posted in this thread, I may have to consider a system fault somewhere with the whois registry. Was just frustrating to see (assumably) a potential domain name free and then to be taken.

Anyways, to keep it on the secure side, if one must retrieve information about a domain name; its best to use www.internic.net directly?
    If so, will the information i send remain confidential?

anyone would like to confirm my enquiry about www.internic.net ? (above) :/

I can look it up for you, PM away.

internic digs the registry whois server only which is the most accurate answer

Originally posted by Bashar
    internic digs the registry whois server only which is the most accurate answer
    Is't live Whois ??
    eNom very discounted reseller / retail accounts (Click here )

Rare 2 , 3 char / letter domains for sale ( Click here )

internic.net is NOT live whois. Its outdated for about 24 hours.

But yes, its the best way to find basic information about a domain name and NO individual registrar can touch or modify this information.
    www.10-Domains.com
    Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Kriz may have been mistaken on this one but it has happened to me - Can't remember who (couple of years agao) - But I was Checking a Bulk list and 4 of the best keyword type names were regd within minutes of me putting them in my Cart - !!!

Kriz, I can confirm that it was a system error and I have multiple emails from GoDaddy to prove it. Last weekend (mainly on April 24th) I was presumably successful in registering 4 gold-level .coms that had been in "pending delete" or "redemption grace" period for the past number of weeks. All became suddenly available that day. I registered them (with GoDaddy) and tried hard for the next 12 hours not to soil myself or have a coronary. I knew something was wrong when I repeatedly checked my domain account over the next few hours and saw that the 4 new gold domains were missing from the list and that those same domains were still "available" when doing a search. Several hours later I got the dreaded email from GoDaddy that there was a system error and my refund was forthcoming and too bad so sad .... and my car still needs a new muffler.

Once a month, Registries will shut down to do major work and become unavailable to search/regiser any new domains.

I wonder why Godaddy shows them as available instead of a different message like server being down.

On April 24th, in the morning, the .org registry was down for maintenance and on the evening, .com and .net were down for the same reason.

Just our 2cents.
    www.10-Domains.com

Interesting thoughts.

If internic returns information accurately, where is the best place to check on domain information via a whois, whilst keeping the information you submit confidential?

each registrar has its own whois database to return the whois info.

Bashar,

Lets not forget that each registrar can change any detail on the whois output. We can for example change the Created Date on a domain name.

But, on www.internic.net none can touch this information therefore becoming the most reliable source for basic domain information.
    www.10-Domains.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast