palmOne Treo 600

What can people tell me about it? I'm looking into PDA/Cell Phone combos with Web access, and this one is at the top of my list right now.

Opinions from all over are helpful, however, users in Canada would be a bonus.

Thanks.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

I recently got a Treo 600 quad band ( GSM ) with Tmobile service here in US. It is the silver one . you can get the black one for Sprint and Cingular here.

Love the keyboard .. and you can SSH ..browse websites ( slow ) and email/im etc

Has a small camera on the back too.
    Speakerphone is another good feature.

Cons :

- The way its made to type, it has slipped off my hands few times when i am typing .. i bought a screen cover to protect it from scratches and cracks.

- tmobile jacks you for emails .. and SMS

- web browsing not as good as pocket PC's with CE.

- size .. its still too big for a cell phone

My recommendation is to go with it if you fine with size aspect .. and good luck finding one .immediately in east coast .. there is 3-4 week waiting list on the silver GSM one
    Last edited by designNYC; 04-26-2004 at 06:31 PM.
    SEO needed .. email or PM me.
    ----------------------------------------------

Besides the speed, is browsing the way it should be? Ie. If I wanted to login to ModernBill or WHM, would it suffice? Also, am I understanding correctly that you can access a server via SHELL? I didn't know that about the Treo, but that's a plus.

Does T-Mobile make you pay-per-email, or do you just pay for the data transfer?

How is the quality of the calling as a cell phone. I realize size is an issue, but I am more worried about the features (and quality of those features). Does it sound like a normal cell phone, or what's the deal?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Originally posted by designNYC
    ...good luck finding one .immediately in east coast .. there is 3-4 week waiting list on the silver GSM one
    PS - I am on the West Coast of Canada, and right now there is no wait (1-2 days activation) as far as I've been told.

I bought a Sony TJ37 (Palm OS) Sunday morning, returned it Sunday afternoon, Palm has a HUGE gaping glaring thing wrong with it that makes Pocket PC my only choice - you can't run two apps at once, can't run irc and your web app at the same time, or irc and email, and that kills it for me. On Pocket PC you can have many apps running at once and that's a necessity for me.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Sorry to re-hash an old thread, but I am about 1 month from getting one. I am sold on Sprint for service, so the 2 phones are the Treo or this:

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp

What I am worried about with the Hitachi is that it'll only work on the Sprint network. I do roam occasionally, so that worries me a bit, not not enough to make me throw away the option all together.

Is the benefit of this being a pocket PC enough for me to consider this one over the Treo?

Thanks!
    Joe
    http://www.allin1websolutions.com
    All in 1 Web Solutions LLC

Originally posted by commishjoe
    Is the benefit of this being a pocket PC enough for me to consider this one over the Treo?
    I think that questions requires a bit more information on how you plan to use/what you are going to use it for?

Originally posted by VanHost
    I think that questions requires a bit more information on how you plan to use/what you are going to use it for?
    It's going to be my lifeline so I can keep tabs of the business while I am out of town. We're not a one man show, but I hate being out of touch. I want to be able to check e-mail, log into WHM, Modernbill, etc, stuff like that.
    Joe

I've been told that Sprint is the most reliable network for the Treo 600, and it's is probably the most advanced digital network available period right now.

I have to believe this is true, since I got this little tidbit of information from the man who invented the Palm Pilot and subsequently other Palm Products, like the Treo
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Originally posted by commishjoe
    It's going to be my lifeline so I can keep tabs of the business while I am out of town. We're not a one man show, but I hate being out of touch. I want to be able to check e-mail, log into WHM, Modernbill, etc, stuff like that.
    The main question I would think can answer your dilemma, is do you require the ability to multi-task? Do you need to be able to switch between multiple open programs? You can NOT do this on a Palm Powered device, and therefore, will lead you to the Hitachi Pocket PC.

Yeah, I've heard great things about Sprint. That's why I'm sold on them already. It's just a matter of which phone to go with.

I've been using T-Mobile this year, and their coverage stinks. I can't wait to switch.
    Joe

I have a Treo 600 and I love it. Modernbill works fine on the included browser. So does Kayako's WAP browser (/admin/wap.php). I use SSH v2 on it as well. It's a wonderful device.

The lack of multitasking is really no big deal. You can set Snappermail to alert you when you have new email or Verichat to alert you when you have new AIM messages. Plus, the keyboard is a godsend. I would not use a bulky Pocket PC over a Treo.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

in my opinion its too expesive and normal people dont need it.

unless is it very important and it is very hard to aceess then net where your from.

If you are getting a Treo 600 you must be on the Sprint PCS network. It's horrible on others.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Thanks for all the info. I'm re-sold on the Treo on the Sprint network Now, I just have to wait one more month for my current crappy T-Mobile subscription to run out.
    Joe

If you are around NYC - Norther NJ area, Sprint is worst during peak times i.e - 5-9 pm.

The pin drop becomes "network busy" and ALL calls dropped. Stay way from it !

So Tmobile is better here.

However, I sold my treo600 as it was too BIg and clumsy for me to handle for everyday use.

.It went for more than i paid - suckers are born on ebay every second

Hope it was not someone at WHT :p

Also the unit bounces / slips off your hands as the grip is bad and it gotten me into embarrasing situations when one time it landed between my date's bossoms !!
    SEO needed .. email or PM me.
    ----------------------------------------------

Depending on where you live, is where you get the bad networks!! Here in the San Francisco area, T-mobile works great. I have the sidekick with the unlimited data and what not. It's a great toy with some nice addons. I have yet to try the SSH client. Web browsing is nice even with the side scroller. E-mail is nice as well, I can add up to 3 pop3 accounts and also get a tmail account. The other features help for organization like the address book, note pad, To Do List, Calendar, not to mention the built in aol IM which is nice. It's comfortable and easy to use. I had a Handspring Visor and didn't use it much. I find that I use the T-mobile Sidekick all the time though, and not just as a cell phone. The keyboard is really easy to use as well. Good luck with your Treo on the Sprint Network though
    Hi! My name is Christina Chun and I'm an Artist.

Also the unit bounces / slips off your hands as the grip is bad and it gotten me into embarrasing situations when one time it landed between my date's bossoms !!
    Embarrassing? That sounds like quite an opportunity to me - I hope you squander that one...
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Here in Minneapolis, I can't go a couple of blocks without getting disconnected on T-Mobile. Also, the coverage doesn't extend out to my in-laws in Wisconsin, which is a pain.

As for handling it, I was planning on getting a headset. I tried out the phone at Best Buy and talking into it would be like talking into a calculator. I am hoping I can rig up a setup where I can leave the Treo in it's holder on my belt, just put the headset on and talk. Although whenever I'm around my wife, I'll ensure I get clumsy enough to drop it into opportune places
    Joe

I got the Treo 600 because it was the only Cell Phone I could find that I could atach a KeyBoard to it.
    And because even if there wasn't a KeyBoard I could reply to support tickets(I prefere 500% more to use the KeyBoard).

http://web.palmone.com/products/Prod...009&cat=310006

WHM is hard to manage as I don't know yet how to use it with frames...
    The Right frame looks very narrow... and there was one time that I made it wider but didn't know how.

Regular Keyboard price is 99.00USD But I bought on ebay like in 80.00USD

Jagarco