interland ... boooo

Had the worst experience of my 10 years on the net with interland being and their customer. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy..... BUT now that i am going and trying out other options, how is superbservers ?? anyone? please i need to know if anyone has had any problems with technical queries with superbservers as this is what interland lacks.. professional people who know what to do.
    Custom Programming / Designs
    http://www.FreelancersDirect.com

Re: interland ... boooo

Originally posted by poorapagal
    Had the worst experience of my 10 years on the net with interland being and their customer. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy..... BUT now that i am going and trying out other options, how is superbservers ?? anyone? please i need to know if anyone has had any problems with technical queries with superbservers as this is what interland lacks.. professional people who know what to do.
    Any details? Coming in to a public forum, as a new user (aka no credibility) and slamming a host, isn't going to do much for you.

Details would help establish what happened and why we should avoid them.

Try doing a search on superbservers... I remember (I think) seeing some recent threads on them.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

NO problemo.. here it goes:-

I run a webnetwork of over 15 entertainment websites including major radio sites, and celebrity sites that need great powerful servers.

I ran into interland website last month when i thought of running an online radio, the first few weeks the site kept dropping off one of the IPS in other words, a few thousands users were kicked off that very second for the matter of minutes to hours.

(nothing happened, in other words nothing was fixed)

Then as it was self managed server we tried to do all we could ourselves but the error of an IP messing up is not our fault but their faulty hardware and settings.

There there comes the time when the whole site stopped responding in the middle of our ad campaign "lost us thousands of dollars as we promoted the site over a few bollywood shows in our country" because no one could get in.

Then i called overseas to their office and was diverted to Miami network they had as they said my site is on that server, well the tech support guy was very nice thought things would be sorted soon as the error was critical.

Result? Nothing happened so i called i believe for over 150 DOLLARS just to be held on the line waiting like the other customers, from whom a few were my close friends who joined at the same time. and a few who have been on their client list for around a few months and are thinking of jumping off due to our partnership deals with them that have also caused great concern.

Well about me, then i entered a few technical tickets, got always a response that had nothing to do with reality... one problem fixed, then my web admin stops working, charged 50 dollars for that. Then told that i will be charged another 50 if i want the error THEY created to be fixed.

Now you tell me, as far as my credibility is concerned i can be search for poorapagal at webhostdir as well, am a member of the ethics commitee there, so have nothing to hide. But this is way over my acceptance level of having my business demolished by some people who have no respect for their clients business and have lost me exactly 4580 DOLLARS of advertisement just because i chose the wrong company to do my hosting. Now the site is running, but my webadmin and my ftp isn't letting me in to do major changes, and the only way out is to choose someone else or SHUT the site if no one can suggest something ...

I made the bad judgement of interland and saw things abt them AFTER i joined just searched for their site and here is what i got..

http://www.webhostingratings.com/pla...Interland.html
    Last edited by poorapagal; 04-26-2004 at 03:38 PM.

NO problemo.. here it goes:-

I run a webnetwork of over 15 entertainment websites including major radio sites, and celebrity sites that need great powerful servers.

I ran into interland website last month when i thought of running an online radio, the first few weeks the site kept dropping off one of the IPS in other words, a few thousands users were kicked off that very second for the matter of minutes to hours.

(nothing happened, in other words nothing was fixed)

Then as it was self managed server we tried to do all we could ourselves but the error of an IP messing up is not our fault but their faulty hardware and settings.

There there comes the time when the whole site stopped responding in the middle of our ad campaign "lost us thousands of dollars as we promoted the site over a few bollywood shows in our country" because no one could get in.

Then i called overseas to their office and was diverted to Miami network they had as they said my site is on that server, well the tech support guy was very nice thought things would be sorted soon as the error was critical.

Result? Nothing happened so i called i believe for over 150 DOLLARS just to be held on the line waiting like the other customers, who happen to my close friends who joined at the same time. and a few who have been on their client list for around a few months and are thinking of jumping off.

Well about me, then i entered a few technical tickets, got always a response that had nothing to do with reality... one problem fixed, then my web admin stops working, charged 50 dollars for that. Then told that i will be charged another 50 if i want the error THEY created to be fixed.

Now you tell me, as far as my credibility is concerned i can be search for poorapagal at webhostdir as well, am a member of the ethics commitee there, so have nothing to hide. But this is way over my acceptance level of having my business demolished by some people who have no respect for their clients business and have lost me exactly 4580 DOLLARS of advertisement just because i chose the wrong company to do my hosting. Now the site is running, but my webadmin and my ftp isn't letting me in to do major changes, and the only way out is to choose someone else or SHUT the site if no one can suggest something ...
    Was this a managed or unmanaged server?

I'm having a hard time following some of this... (probably lost in translation... no offense meant towards you)

Sirius
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

sirius.. it was a self managed server... have a techie who is quite good but as i said, i have servers with other companies but needed a media streaming server so went with them..

sirius.. it was a self managed server... have a techie who is quite good but as i said, i have servers with other companies but needed a media streaming server so went with them..
    If it was a self managed server, then the management is your issue, not theirs?

I understand the network-routing issue (I think) but the issue if webadmin not working, or FTP not working, I believe that would be your responsibility to manage.

Has Interland responded to your problems?

Sirius

that was not my responsablity, they fixed one error of allowing ftp and messed up the PLESK and no access to the DB, now if it was self managed shouldn't it be easier for me to manage it if i had access to it which THEY managed to close somehow asking for more money to fix? I am sorry but i am not a newbie (maybe to the forum) but have my own hosting reselling company but i dont do streaming just normal sites. Have dedicated servers but never as i said had someone tell me that ok sir we have fixed one problem, now the other problem you have to pay for ..

"BECAUSE in a way they are saying , you are not in the same room as the computer thats why WE have the upper hand..and do whatever we want to get your site up at any cost to you"

no sir.. sorry have to spend more time on looking for someone else now, am running short for time.. so anyone?? please suggest anyone...

that was not my responsablity, they fixed one error of allowing ftp and messed up the PLESK and no access to the DB, now if it was self managed shouldn't it be easier for me to manage it if i had access to it which THEY managed to close somehow asking for more money to fix? I am sorry but i am not a newbie (maybe to the forum) but have my own hosting reselling company but i dont do streaming just normal sites. Have dedicated servers but never as i said had someone tell me that ok sir we have fixed one problem, now the other problem you have to pay for ..

"BECAUSE in a way they are saying , you are not in the same room as the computer thats why WE have the upper hand..and do whatever we want to get your site up at any cost to you"

no sir.. sorry have to spend more time on looking for someone else now, am running short for time.. so anyone?? please suggest anyone...
    Ummmmm, ok... good, err, luck, I guess.

Sirius

sirius believe me man ... i really hope others can just relate to it and not lose money on it. I really would feel sorry if someone thought i was joking and went on with them and went through the same thing. The link i put above in first post is only one of the few i found TOO LATE

I am 'in charge of' a managed server at Interland for a company I do web development for. I set up the server, and host all their sites and DB applications off it.

When we first ordered the server we ordered it with Plesk since I had no server management experience, figuring a control panel would help. Unfortunately Interland sent their 4 page welcome mail about using the server, with Plesk, a few days later, but the server didn't actually have Plesk on it.

Included with a managed server is an hour walkthrough of the control panel to help learn my way around. Since Plesk was not there, the 'tech' assumed we did not order it and walked me through their in-house control panel (which basically does nothing but provide buttons to restart services and create users). OK, I figured the guys I was working for didn't actually order Plesk as we intended to, so I'd figure out things without a control panel.

3 days later, after moving all the critical sites to the new server, all the DNS changes propogating, the databases moved, and everyone using the new server, someone goes in and installs Plesk. Doing so wiped out everything, of course. There was no notice that someone did it, just everything blowing up and no more sites one morning. Who woulda thought they'd go install Plesk a week after giving us access to the server, with no communication from us whatsoever?

After some angry calls to our sales rep (Interland managed servers are expensive!), we got Plesk removed from the bill, and about 24 hours later they had the server reimaged without it so I could go back and set things up as they had been working fine without an expensive CP license.

Since then they've routinely rebooted the server without notifying us, to apply kernel updates it seemed, which took down all the business web sites (bad!) since they require a passphrase for the overly expensive Thawte certs to restart Apache. It's "managed" but nobody there has a problem rebooting the server in the middle of the day and not checking that the services come back up. Great management.

As long as I'm not the one paying, whatever. I'll just fix things when they break them.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Well now my server is down after we restarting it just like anyone normally would. And the ticket is on EMERGENCY LEVEL, i called as well. But their turnaround time for an emergency ticket is also 24 hours. Now isn't that exactly what i want from a company Losing 500 new visitors every hour x 24 hours a day.. love it ... NOT

Interland's model does not fit yours. It's as simple as that.

You also said...

"have lost me exactly 4580 DOLLARS of advertisement just because i chose the wrong company to do my hosting. "

Not sure if your looking for advice or just venting. If it's advice your looking for, then here's some for you.

Ask around and find a good manager for your server. Your better off to ask. The better ones of the lot don't hang out at wht looking for work. Spend $100 - $150 a month for that before you hand over your cabbage to marketing reps.

na i dont need any advice on anything, have enough experience with crappy hosts, all i need is someone to suggest a self managed server host who knows what emergency ticket means, interland promised 15 MINUTES FIX on emergency level tickets that they self arose.

Result?? 4 HOURS AND STILL NOTHING HAPPENED...

As for interlands model not fitting mine, well it should have been cuz the traffic was not so much that the server would crash like it does all the time due to its sadly put together settings.

Paid someguy 100 dollars an hour who found out that interlands technical support guy fixed one thing on our site while chmoding the rest of the directories to block admin any access.. now that is too much to swallow man..

Is your server at Interland managed? If so, forget the ticket, call in and make someone fix it on the spot.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

you should contact ServInt.

They'r considered as a superb Provider which would probably fit all your needs... They are managed, but that doesn't add much to your bill and having the possiblity to getting help from them without any additional charge is always great!
    - Just do a quick search on the Forums, you'll find nothing but praise!

A big advantage they have is also that they'r providing you free phone support, and when you call someone will be avaible after three rings! - It's amazing!

I'm sure they'll be able to work sth. out for you with nice specs for a good price and on a very reliable and speedy network!
    Just take a look at their last offer in the Dedicated Offerings Forum!
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...threadid=259640
    Great Deal!

I've been with them since almost two years and they'r rocking more than ever!

Good luck with getting that mess sorted out!
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Interland is one class above CI Host.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Greetings:

As a managed service and managed security provider, we do get to work with a number of data centers and hosting providers.

We group Interland among the top three --> Rackspace.com, Verio, Interland in terms of their overall picture.

Every provider is going to have their high moments and low moments; and there are always going to be clients pleased and unhappy.

The question is how a company grows through the experience and improves from those experiences.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Love the Interland adsense ads
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

I was an interland customer for 8 months, and i was extremely satisfied with the service i recieved, sure they had some screw ups every now and then, but i had 5 months uptime, no packet loss (that i noticed) only reason it wasnt 8months was becuase i had the server upgraded.

No longer a customer for reasons in real life, mostly money!

We have just moved the last of our customer sites from Interland we had a major problem with a dedicated managed server that was compromised before we even put any live data on it. The hack used Interland to steal data from a company in Washington state. We found out about it when an FBI agent contacted me after they talked to Interland. We have been getting the run around for a credit - Billing says no record of request contact sales, sales says contact billing, sales won't talk to me.
    Server must be compromised again Interland wants me to pay for excess band use (after we transfered DNS to new host sites)
    Would not reccomend INTERLAND to my worst enemy.
    New hosting site provider answers trouble tickets almost instantly, no billing problems We moved first site a year ago.
    Does Interland care NO just a zombie following a script asking me if we placed a discontinue order, Did not want to hear why. We were with Interland 4 years

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    We group Interland among the top three --> Rackspace.com, Verio, Interland in terms of their overall picture.

Are you from bizarro world? 'cause I can't believe anyone would put Interland in the same league as Rackspace. Even Verio sucks these days.

My Interland experience ended two years ago whn my server (VPS) went down for 13 hours. Yes, 13 HOURS !>. No explaination given.

I recently moved a client away from Verio due to lack of service. They had a crisis with email (large attachments pushing them over quota), and Verio didn't lift a finger to help. They paid managed prices for what turned out to be unmanaged service. F*** that.

Rackspace is good. Servint is good. I don't know what's going on with Verio, and Interland has been racing to the bottom for a long time.

Go with Servint. Class act company. They provide amazing service