I only build with acrylic (ie Plexiglas) and the only *proper* way to bond acrylic is with a solvent called methylene chloride. You do all your cutting and bending first and then clamp the pieces together. Once that's done the solvent is applied to the seams with a syringe type applicator and it melts the pieces together.
I've never tried any larger tanks, but I think I could build up to 20 or 30 gallons with 1/4" acrylic if I used creative bracing on the top of the tank.
I had built one with 6mm glass and GE silicon sealant. But I prefer Araldite resin to join the glass instead silicon sealant because it is rubbery and peals off under pressure whereas Araldite if cured properly in the sun or InfraRed lamps can be almost as durable as glass.
And I also prefer 12mm thick glass because it is safer with kids around and ofcourse offers more surface contact area for the sealant/adhesive. Its costs plenty but worth the money if you plant to keep the aquarium for many years.
Originally posted by RajanUrs But I prefer Araldite resin to join the glass instead silicon sealant because it is rubbery and peals off under pressure whereas Araldite if cured properly in the sun or InfraRed lamps can be almost as durable as glass.
Interesting - never heard of Araldite before.
Most of my aquariums are very oddly shaped and would be difficult to impossible to do with glass. The hex tank just finished is actually about the most normal aquarium I've ever done.
Believe me, I've thought many times about a business making aquaria. The problem is I don't want to start such an enterprise unless I see some way it could eventually replace my day job.
I've ran the numbers over and over and it just doesn't work. I'm cursed with a job that's no fun but pays too well to quit. In the meantime, I don't want two jobs for the years it would take to build a business to replace it.
Originally posted by phision.com Just checked out the rest of your site...
damn! you're guy who made the Lisa Acquarium!
Yes I am. That was my first sucessful tank and still the one I'm most proud of.
But I made a big big mistake with the Lisaquarium a few years ago. I put salt water in it for a while. Now the metal frame inside the case is rusted all to hell. I have one more old virgin Lisa shell out in my garage and someday I'll finish it out and put the original Lisa tank in it. As for the rusted up Lisa frame, I need to find someone with a sandblaster to work it over and then paint it. That's the only way it'll ever be beautiful again I'm afraid.
Originally posted by IHSL $178, pfft. Customize those babies per customer and you're talking a lot more than a hundred and seventy eight dollars.
Okay, assume I can design and sell them and after subtracting material costs I can clear $300 per aquarium. I think there are several creative designs and ways that could be done.
That's the easy part.
The hard part is now I have build and sell about 7 of them per week, every week all year long, to accomplish my *real* goal of being able to replace my job. I would have to job out most of the construction in order to have time to do the marketing and shipping. Worst of all, now it's not my art anymore, it's my job which may or may not be any more annoying than my current job.
Like I said, I've thought long and hard on this. I've got spreadsheets and business plans. My domain name, techquarium.com, was born during one of these periods of false optimism. Someday perhaps, but not now.
Originally posted by Hosemeyer Where do you get the "Glue" Shall I say? and how much would you say it costs?
Look in the Yellow Pages under "plastics wholesale/supply" and give them a call. I've never been able to find it at a hardware store. You what methylene chloride and you'll probably want both the liquid and a tube of the thickened stuff. You'll also need an applicator for the liquid. Total cost should be well under $20 for enough stuff to do several tanks.
Great Job! Those are great pieces of work, definatley not worth selling! Those must take some time and patience!
Today, I was working with measurments and stuff in Metals, I had to fork out $5.00 for a new piece of steel because I can't measure right, you must have mastered that!
Great job! Those one awsome! I bookmarked your site!
This one is built into an old 2 page display (19" black & white). It has a couple unique features in that I tilted it all the way back on the tilt/swivel stand so that one doesn't have to bend over to look into it and on this one I also curved the front plate to match the curve of the original monitor.
I'm still working on a design for an iMacquarium. Hopefully I'll have something to show for that in the next month or so. But then again, I may not. Bodypainting season is back and I'm playing more with my airbrushes these days.