Need Suggestion on Control Panel.

Hello,

I currently am hosting a small sized hosting business off of a Raq Cobalt server. However, I just recently purchased a Redhat 9.0 Dedicated Server. With my experience with Raq's you are able to download certian packages from Sun and then install them through the web based control panel that is included, such as FrontPage 2000 or 2002 Server Extensions. I was wondering how this is done through a control panel like Cpanel or Direct Admin. I am a pretty unix savvy user and I can install them through the console if need be. However, I would like the ease as to download the rpm or tar file and then use a control panel to install these server extensions per virtual site.

If someone could please explain if these control panels are much like the one provided with the Raq's as far as management and updates are concerned.

P.S.
    I have tried the demo on both Direct Admin's and Cpanel's website. They however do not explain how updates such as FP Server Extensions or installations are to be done.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kendall H.

cPanel is very user friendly with that. You can easily install module with cPanel.

Direct Admin is towards the simpler and clean control panel that does not contain many features.

Cpanel is extremely friendly. I second that.

The domain owner can install/uninstall cpanel from any of the domains/subdomains as the case may be. They just need to access the control panel and 2 clicks later , they'll be all set.

Cheers !

Yup cpanel is good for that.

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    cPanel is very user friendly with that. You can easily install module with cPanel.

Direct Admin is towards the simpler and clean control panel that does not contain many features.
    I think that DirectAdmin contains as much end-user features than CPanel. I agree it doesn't contain all the useless stuff in WHM to control your own server but most host don't need those things.

Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!

Thanks for the input.

I still am a little hesitant however. If I purchased Cpanel through ServerMatrix or Managed.com, depending on who my dedicated service is through and they install the cpanel. Do I have the option to ask them where I would like the sites to be contained on my drive?

I have about 80Gigs of space on my /home directory and I would like them to make sure when I create my virtual sites that they are created there and not on a 10 gig partition that I have or something.

Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

I have my cobalt setup to install sites under

/home/sites/site1.com
    /home/sites/site2.com

Etc, etc.

Thanks again guys. I just want this transfer to go over as smooth as possible.

If you are still debating I would STRONGLY suggest DirectAdmin over CPanel. I used to be a CPanel host but CPanel had too many bugs and the staff was not as responsive as I would have liked. I choose to move to DirectAdmin and couldn't have been happier. Automatic updates, faster response times for support, and overall more control. I couldn't be happier with DirectAdmin.
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!

The only problem with Direct Admin is that you can't offer things like Fantastico.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Well, since my host offers Cpanel for 19.95 a month compared to Direct Admin's 29.95 a month. I think I am going to try Cpanel at this time.

Originally posted by Lucid-Felix
    The only problem with Direct Admin is that you can't offer things like Fantastico.
    You should consider checking DA's forum. There is a tool that has been developped (Installatron) that works like Fantastico with a lot more software.
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!

I will check it out.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz