hi im a n00b lol

ok ok ok i know ur all gunna laugh but i hate not knowing anything about things and the whole server thing...i dunno squat... so heres the deal, i wanna setup my own server for battlefield but i dont want to rent a server from a company. i want to control the hardware and everything... what do i need to do to setup and manage my own gaming server??

Hello,
    In that case, you will need Colocation. Build your own server and put it in datacenter, that is what we call Colocation.

As for the software to be installed, check out with battlefield for the requirements.

Thanks.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Originally posted by KKHost.Net
    Hello,
    In that case, you will need Colocation. Build your own server and put it in datacenter, that is what we call Colocation.

As for the software to be installed, check out with battlefield for the requirements.

Thanks.
    Doesn't sound like he can build a complete sentence...

Baby steps man

xgaming that's sooo mean!

but you should stick with renting from a game server company..

otherwise...

1) build server
    2) install software
    3) send it to a company and pay for bandwidth
    4) start up the server / game server
    5) open up your game
    6) connect to the server
    7) bomb blue to hell--GO RED!

my very in depth article to setting up a server like the pros.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

I apologize if that came off as mean but I don't think encouraging someone that doesn't even know the proper term for a dedicated server is the right thing to do..

ok, so first off do you have $1200 for a server?

then colocating it is gonna be like $100/month

if you do, then it all depends on the provider u pick

are u on east coast? let me know if u want suggestions and u have the cash to actually buy a machine.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Doesn't sound like he can build a complete sentence...

Baby steps man
    Who do you mean?
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

He means the thread starter. I also hate trying to decipher what these kids are writing.

Originally posted by KKHost.Net
    Who do you mean?
    Sorry I meant the thread starter.

i live in houston... yea yea i know i know nothing about all this but i wanna learn dang it! so and suggestions would be helpful...

ty

I would suggest reading some of the posts and how-to's here and at places that cater to game server administrators and system adminstrators of the OS you will be working with. Running a dedicated server is more then setting up a game. You will need to know how to protect the machine and secure it, Bind IP's, allocate resources etc.. This isn't a cable connection, If you get hacked it could very well cost you alot more then you would be paying in 1 month..

When your ready I would suggest the SuperGamerz server at SM. They are currently offering a free install of a game server on your server. Good opportunity for newer people to the field.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    They are currently offering a free install of a game server on your server.

Where do you get that from?

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    When your ready I would suggest the SuperGamerz server at SM. They are currently offering a free install of a game server on your server. Good opportunity for newer people to the field.
    Huh? Are you serious? Why they not publishing this kind of information any where on their website, forums or etc?

Re: hi im a n00b lol

I would suggest reading some of the posts and how-to's here and at places that cater to game server administrators and system adminstrators of the OS you will be working with. Running a dedicated server is more then setting up a game. You will need to know how to protect the machine and secure it, Bind IP's, allocate resources etc.. This isn't a cable connection, If you get hacked it could very well cost you alot more then you would be paying in 1 month..
    http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5EP0O0K8UO.html

Originally posted by mr magik
    ok ok ok i know ur all gunna laugh but i hate not knowing anything about things and the whole server thing...i dunno squat... so heres the deal, i wanna setup my own server for battlefield but i dont want to rent a server from a company. i want to control the hardware and everything... what do i need to do to setup and manage my own gaming server??

When you go into game menu and click "create a server" how easy everything is, rite? Well a real game server does not works like that. Either you need a good knowledge or money to setup and host your own gaming machine. The way you ask I can say you dotn have the knowledge, so you do need money. If you planing to host on a 2nd pc from your home connection( dsl or cable) just forget it because upload will not be enough. You need at least DS1/Tier-1 ($600-1500 monthly + Setup-Hardware) still will not be satsifying.

Lets assume you get a dedicated server. If you choose Windows you do have to pay for license and you will notice it will not be so "user friendly" as your desktop pc when you do use it remotly especially for games.
    If you dotn want to pay license you will go with the linux. But once again if you dont have knowledge, it will be nightmare for you, and if you screw up anything you do looking for minimum $75 per hour till its get fixed. There are more complications and expenses if you dont know very well what you are doing. So you think risking or paying that much money to have your own clan server while you can go and rent it for $50-100 fully managed, control panel acces and tech support?

P.S : If you still want your "own box" go with managed service. Here is one suggestion http://www.digitalnines.com/gamehosting/
    Last edited by DeltaGaming; 04-27-2004 at 03:29 AM.

Where do you get that from?
    I read a post on SM's forums a while back that said some games were pre-installed on the SuperGamerz. I also could not find where it is stated on there site or confirm this.

Hi.
    Itīs real.
    Ask for the sales and they will confirm.
    -------------
    SuperGamerz: Counterstrike / Battlefield 1942 Servers
    Ready to run your game server on the best network available? Look no further than ServerMatrix. Order a SuperGamerz 3.0 server with Battlefield 1942 and Counter Strike game servers pre-installed and ready to go!

-------------------

K. This is what I'd do.. contact RackMountsEtc on aim, get him to build you a server, pay him.. get colocation at one of the many respectable facilities and have him ship it to the datacenter.

Then the network techs will take your server, set it up for you and send you the root password thru email... and from there you can ask for help in the other forums!

BTW: It's insanely easy to setup a game server, that was the first thing I learned to do. You untar, and run the server file with the selected parameters :/ I don't kow why people would need pre-installed servers, maybe to save on bandwidth?

Originally posted by ymfm
    Hi.
    Itīs real.
    Ask for the sales and they will confirm.
    -------------
    SuperGamerz: Counterstrike / Battlefield 1942 Servers
    Ready to run your game server on the best network available? Look no further than ServerMatrix. Order a SuperGamerz 3.0 server with Battlefield 1942 and Counter Strike game servers pre-installed and ready to go!

-------------------
    That sounds like a good idea...

lazy people can't even install a game server -_- that just promotes more companies to know less about servers!