Frequent loss of personal sites...

I am just wondering if any of you smarter people can give me a reason why my web sites disappear on me sometimes. I can access the net just fine, but the site I am on every 20 minutes or so becomes inaccessible a couple of times a day. Same thing with the mail server.

I have a SMC router, and I think it has something to do with that. Any input?

Does anything else disappear? Could it be your host?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

I get that...I'm not sure what it is though. I'll do some reasearch and Google it. I'll post back if I find anything useful.

No, I am my host.

It is just the sites I host that I query every 5 minutes that disappear. I suspect a windows issue...or the SMC router. They are up, via a third party traceroute, but I lose them myself. I can't believe nobody else is experiencing this.

Next time you are unable to access them, run a trace route from your machine and post back the results. maybe be quering you server every 5 minutes you are running the loads high and causing a few seconds of downtime while apache has to reboot.

HAHAHAHA. NO!

Well, for anyone else who is having this problem, I believe I have found a solution, even though I still don't understand the exact problem.

I went into my Windows hosts file and added the site I was having troubles connecting with and the IP. I've not had any issues since then. The computer I had the issue on also had Apache installed and running. I believe that may have caused the issue.

Hope this helps someone.

sounds like flaky DNS servers....
    Gone.