Question How does free hosting service survive?

Ok, i know theres this big companys like Tripod, but they have much money for the market. But how about this smaller free webhosting services, is the only chance too survive if you have ads on the memberpages? But if you do have ads you will loose lots of sign ups. And, theres those free hosting services that DON'T have ads at all, how does they survive?

Sorry for my bad english, im from Sweden.

They usually put bunch of crap advertising like banners, popups, exit popups, etc. and some others make enough money from other stuff like paid hosting that pays for the free hosting.

from sweden? i have a few swedish clients.

most small webhosts who offer free and even really cheap hosting ($2, etc) don't last long. they do it to get as many accounts as possible on a server, and then run themselves out of business.
    Vagrant Web Hosting - U.S. / CANADA
    Website Hosting - Website Development - Content Management
    NEW: Windows Hosting w/ ASP.NET

Adverts really

Free hosting companies need to get some revenue, so it's either ads on the pages or a very restrictive free plan that encourages upgrades to paid hosting.

From Tripod:

Tripod Free is ad-supported, so you'll have ads on your site.

Some companies start the business with a free hosting service for a period and than switch to paid hosting. In this way they think to get more customers and make their brands well-known.

Another place they advertise is on the 404 error page. This is unobtrusive to the user web pages, but can be lucrative when a user moves on and for mis types.

I have seen some horrible fly-by active-x intallers and other nasties on 404 error pages for free hosts in the past.

Mike

We did free hosting for a while, just to get our name out and let everyone know how good our services really are. We had about 4 free hosting clients upgrade to paid plans, so it worked out pretty well.

We do advertise on free clients site
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

Just like Even said, it can be used to get your name out there. I think offering the free service can be good, but I think it needs to be done carefully. If you are known as a free host, it can be difficult trasnferring to the paid market. There is a fine line between getting your name out there as a free host, and simply getting your name out there as a new company. These companies make money on advertising but they don't seem to last very long that way. They usually seem to get swallowed up by some bigger company trying to profit from user base.

Originally posted by foogee
    I have seen some horrible fly-by active-x intallers and other nasties on 404 error pages for free hosts in the past.
    Mike
    Hi Mike I wondered what exactly you meant by *horrible fly-by active-x installers£"? Are those the awful nasty programs that hijack your browser and automatically redirect you to some other site, or the ones that install some nasty kind of advert bar or installs a different home page on your browser? Is *active x* the technology that is responsible for those.

Yes both of those!

Site owners can easily get $0.25 per install and I'm sure more is possible with higher traffic sites. Doesn't take too much to get some income from that.

Active-x is a Microsoft technology that allows applications to be downloaded and embedded in IE and other applications. In principle this is a good thing, for example the google or alexa tool bars, but the technology gets mis-used.

Mike

While I appreciate the free hosting offer (it allows novices a chance to play around with web space and learn about it before committing to building a serious site), the free model doesn't seem to last. Just take a look at companies like Geocities..later acquired by Yahoo...and now strongly pushing all sorts of paid services. Also, you can compare it to the dial-up market, with companies like NetZero and Juno. Netzero is...well, no longe zero, and Juno I believe tried to go paid and is now defunct.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net